• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are the oldest console games that still have active multiplayer (officially)

fvng

Saw Warhawk on Playstation Now and was stunned the servers are still active and populated (and the game is still phenomenal in my opinion).

That game is from 07, are there any older console games where the servers are still up and running (official servers)?

I say official console servers, because I know PC games can have an extended lifespan beyond official support (Starsiege Tribes still has active servers if i'm not mistaken).

furious

Banned
Active as in will find a match, or active as in will get a response from the server?

Call of Duty 2 was launch title for the 360 (2005), I presume it's still up. Nothing from the original Xbox has survived.

B.K.

Final Fantasy XI is still active on PS2, but the latest expansion wasn't released on it outside of Japan.

Derpcrawler

Call of Duty 4 is still active on Xbox 360, at least TDM, S&D and Groundwars playlists. You can find games in less than a minute.

androvsky

Came here to post Warhawk. Which is kinda sad, since it seems like a relatively new game compared to stuff like Halo and SOCOM. But at least Warhawk was designed to last for as long as possible, since users can run their own dedicated servers on a PS3. iirc, as long as PSN works on PS3s, Warhawk should work, according to the devs.

fvng

Came here to post Warhawk. Which is kinda sad, since it seems like a relatively new game compared to stuff like Halo and SOCOM. But at least Warhawk was designed to last for as long as possible, since users can run their own dedicated servers on a PS3. iirc, as long as PSN works on PS3s, Warhawk should work, according to the devs.

I think there is a trophy for running a dedicated server for a long period of time which is brilliant. Hopefully the PS Now inclusion extends the lifespan further

There's a few Dreamcast games still online, likely shared with PC servers though.

Are those makeshift fan run servers? which games?

Krejlooc

Banned
You can still play Sega Saturn games online. All of the ones that supported online play can still be played. This includes stuff like Duke Nukem 3D, Daytona USA CCE Netlink Edition, Virtual On Netlink Edition, and Saturn Bomberman.

genbatzu

Counter-Strike 1.6 ?

original CS 1999, I think 1.6 was 2004.

As Linux and Mac Support are pretty new (2013) this game should still be supported on steam.

//edit; overlooked the console part, i meant the pc version

You can still play Sega Saturn games online. All of the ones that supported online play can still be played. This includes stuff like Duke Nukem 3D, Daytona USA CCE Netlink Edition, Virtual On Netlink Edition, and Saturn Bomberman.
Wow, that is amazing!

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Counter-Strike 1.6 ?

original CS 1999, I think 1.6 was 2004.

As Linux and Mac Support are pretty new (2013) this game should still be supported on steam.

The original CS isn't on consoles and even the Xbox version is inadmissible since MS killed XBL1 back in 2010.

Krejlooc

Banned
Wow, that is amazing!

It's just peer to peer networking. It's the way online gaming should work. It still works for the same reason old PC games like Doom still work.

You can get it going with a phone line emulator to connect it to a modern, broadband connection, too.

zsidane

Came in here to say Quake 3 on DC, but it seems like another Sega console is the king!

I still own Warhawk, and while I like think I'd play again, I've heard the community's pretty unforgiving towards newbies. I also couldn't fly to save my life.

RBK

Banned
Not on console unless you mean via xbc of xlink kai.

halo_master_chief_CELG.jpg

Holy Shit!

I just double checked, UNO's online is still active. I accidentally selected the trial version of the game before, I should really delete the trial for UNO.

I know OP said consoles in his first post... but I have to say, Starcraft still having it's servers up and games going since early 1998 is pretty crazy. Though I guess Diablo predates that even by 2 years.

impact

Banned
Counter Strike 1.6 probably has more players than BF4 XB1, and easily more than Titanfall PC (lol)

CS came out in 1999 for those unaware

Accoun

Are those makeshift fan run servers? which games?

Phantasy Star Online is probably the most notable one. Somebody mentioned Quake 3, but I think it had cross-platform multi with PC, so the PC counterpart makes it basically unkillable (seeing how people still play Doom and Quake 1 online on the PC). Maybe more, but I'm not sure which DC games were played online.

Also, wasn't the first Metal Gear Online resurrected some time ago thanks to reverse-engineering and private servers?

[EDIT]
Sorry, missed the "officially" part.

Top Bottom