• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are the oldest console games that still have active multiplayer (officially)

I think people are still playing Phantasy Star Online on the Dreamcast.

Those aren't using official servers. Sega closed the official PSO servers long, long ago. The servers used to run the DC, GCN, and Xbox versions now are the same hacked servers that run the pc version, Blue Burst.

Sayad

halo_master_chief_CELG.jpg
Is this a setup for a joke about MCC's online not working?!

Kasper

There are many MMO's older than FF11.
Runescape and Dark Age of Camelot jump to mind.
Both are still running with official support.

Neither of those are on console though. FFXI PS2 edition is still going.

In the end it doesn't matter though, as SEGA seems to have FFXI beat anyway.

fvng

Neither of those are on console though. FFXI PS2 edition is still going.

In the end it doesn't matter though, as SEGA seems to have FFXI beat anyway.

Sega seems the best at this, I played Phantasy Star Portable 2 online the other day and it fired up just fine.

I think in terms of official severs, Quake III DC probably wins. Starlancer was running on official severs until recently when GameSpy closed.

Tetranet

Those aren't using official servers. Sega closed the official PSO servers long, long ago. The servers used to run the DC, GCN, and Xbox versions now are the same hacked servers that run the pc version, Blue Burst.

On PC I can understand how, but how can the Dreamcast and other console systems change the connection addresses? It's not like you can open up program files.

Booshka

If OG Xbox Live was still alive I guarantee that Halo 2, Counter-Strike, and probably even Return to Castle Wolfenstein and Chaos Theory would have active, dedicated communities.

Shadowrun (2007) still chugging along on 360 is impressive, not a big playerbase, but enough active, dedicated players to provide a game at nearly any time of day.

Compsiox

Banned
If OG Xbox Live was still alive I guarantee that Halo 2, Counter-Strike, and probably even Return to Castle Wolfenstein and Chaos Theory would have active, dedicated communities.

Shadowrun (2007) still chugging along on 360 is impressive, not a big playerbase, but enough active, dedicated players to provide a game at nearly any time of day.
Halo 2 Vista came out 3 years later (8 years ago) and there are still 40 people on at every moment. I know a lot of their gamertags by heart.

I also have around 6000 hours of gameplay on Halo 2. I'm playing today. After it camd out me and my brother played it for 6 hours everyday for 3 years.

Top Bottom