• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are those games so hard on Normal Mode that grown men justify turning down the difficulty to Easy?

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
We've all seen this excuse. It tends to go a little something like this; I'm a 40-year-old man with a full time job of 80 hours a week and 12 kids. I don't have much time to game so I prefer avoiding frustration and as such, I play on Easy Mode.

My question is, what game is so hard on Normal Mode that you cannot just breeze through it? Most games in Normal Mode are braindead easy so what are those challenging games that excuse a grown man playing on Easy? Games like Dark Souls and Nioh don't have difficulty levels (unless you mod them), exactly to weed out those who don't wanna bother learning and improving. God of War? In the default mode, it's fairly forgiving. It does become quite challenging on Give Me God of War, but that's the highest difficulty level and you probably shouldn't pick it as a noob. Even Ninja Gaiden Black/II, which are considered quit difficult, are only really hard games when you reach the higher difficulty levels. Ninja mode is incredibly forgiving compared to Dark Souls. Master Ninja is a different ballgame, but why would you choose that if you don't enjoy a challenge? Same for Bayonetta and Devil May Cry.

If this were the 90s, I might agree. Games like Final Fight or TMNT even on Normal could prove quite challenging but modern games on Normal Mode are almost an insult. Horizon, Uncharted, GTA (no difficulty level), Halo, DOOM, the Ori games, modern platformers, etc. None of those games are even challenging unless you up the difficulty (and even then, most still aren't).

So what are those games with a Normal Mode so challenging that they frustrate you to the point you gotta turn them down to easy?

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
I had to turn down to Easy in Jedi Survivor’s final bossfight because it was just bullshit. Came close the same during two boss fights before but then just somewhat managed in the end after all.

Last edited:

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
There is something called time constraints. Not everyone is free like you.
Yeah, and since Normal Mode almost poses no challenge whatsoever, what time constraints are you referring to? Normal Mode is too easy to slow you down except for games that don't have a Normal Mode.
I feel increased difficulty in a lot of games today often mean that enemies have more health or are bullet sponges.

That’s not worth the time to me.
Cool, but the thread is about Normal Mode, not the higher difficulty levels.

Cuphead maybe? Returnal?

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
People enjoy games for different reason, to some they care much more about experiencing story more than engaging with gameplay and thats their choice.

I only take issue when they demand ALL games carter to their needs, some game challenge is part of core experience and if you are not in to it then there are 1000 other games out there that will carter to your needs.

Last edited:

Robb

Gold Member
Cool, but the thread is about Normal Mode, not the higher difficulty levels.

Cuphead maybe? Returnal?
From my experience that holds for normal mode as well. I’d be more interested in higher difficulty modes in a lot of games if it changed more fundamental stuff. AI behavior/abilities/move sets.

I played Cuphead on normal, but iirc the game forces you to as you couldn’t beat the final boss unless you had beat everyone else on normal (?). Otherwise I’d probably have gone on easy.

Kdad

We've all seen this excuse. It tends to go a little something like this; I'm a 40-year-old man with a full time job of 80 hours a week and 12 kids. I don't have much time to game so I prefer avoiding frustration and as such, I play on Easy Mode.

My question is, what game is so hard on Normal Mode that you cannot just breeze through it? Most games in Normal Mode are braindead easy so what are those challenging games that excuse a grown man playing on Easy? Games like Dark Souls and Nioh don't have difficulty levels (unless you mod them), exactly to weed out those who don't wanna bother learning and improving. God of War? In the default mode, it's fairly forgiving. It does become quite challenging on Give Me God of War, but that's the highest difficulty level and you probably shouldn't pick it as a noob. Even Ninja Gaiden Black/II, which are considered quit difficult, are only really hard games when you reach the higher difficulty levels. Ninja mode is incredibly forgiving compared to Dark Souls. Master Ninja is a different ballgame, but why would you choose that if you don't enjoy a challenge? Same for Bayonetta and Devil May Cry.

If this were the 90s, I might agree. Games like Final Fight or TMNT even on Normal could prove quite challenging but modern games on Normal Mode are almost an insult. Horizon, Uncharted, GTA (no difficulty level), Halo, DOOM, the Ori games, modern platformers, etc. None of those games are even challenging unless you up the difficulty (and even then, most still aren't).

So what are those games with a Normal Mode so challenging that they frustrate you to the point you gotta turn them down to easy?

We've all seen douchenozzles that say some like I'm a gamerz pro brah and you're playing on easy is total weak sauce, get rekt you soyboy. So, what are the reasons people get worked up so much about easymode that they need to question other's age, responsibilities, manhood etc. Fellate me.

Last edited:
The normal difficulty on Metro 2033 waaayyy too difficult, but Easy was way too easy.. I agree, normal difficulty is usually pretty easy, but Metro 2033 was the only game I can remember where I had to turn it down.

Well people like to turn down the difficulty setting so they don‘t feel the rumble feedback when something‘s hitting them ingame on their vaginas.

Games from the NES/SNES/Genesis and PS1/N64/Saturn generations that were still tuned to 'arcade difficulty' to make you waste as many lives as possible. This especially applies to beat em ups.

Edit: Just look at old AVGN videos to see how ridiculous some of those games were during those gens. It was hair-pulling cheapness.

sddefault.jpg

0338d4b9e7c0b687d8b0b8efe511c8bb.jpg

Last edited:

gothmog

Gold Member
I've quit games outright rather than switch to easy for the most part. Usually I just feel like I'm not having any fun and move on.

Games from the NES/SNES/Genesis and PS1/N64/Saturn generations that were still tuned to 'arcade difficulty' to make you waste as many lives as possible. This especially applies to beat em ups.

Edit: Just look at old AVGN videos to see how ridiculous some of those games were during those gens. It was hair-pulling cheapness.

sddefault.jpg

0338d4b9e7c0b687d8b0b8efe511c8bb.jpg
Which is why, if I'm playing these, I'm using rewind and other cheats. I want to re-live them, but not for months on end getting better (and even then, I'll probably fail).

SeraphJan

Oh really? Assuming you played the remasters, maybe they tweaked the difficulty, or maybe I was just having a moment...
I played it on PS5, I've never seen any mention that the difficulty is tweaked, maybe you meant the Spartan mode? I play the survival mode, which is the same as original.

I assume the reason you are having difficulty might be because of the weapons long reload time against extremely aggressive monsters, the breathing room is short in this game compare to other shooters. If you are going to play the sequel which is more difficult than the first game, I suggest you add laser sight and ammo capacity as the priority upgrade.

Last edited:

calistan

I would have turned Elden Ring down to easy for the final boss, if such an option existed.

But it didn't, so I did what I do every single time any game hands me my arse - rage quit, uninstall, never go back.

so what are those challenging games...

It does become quite challenging...

if you don't enjoy a challenge...

could prove quite challenging...

None of those games are even challenging...

games with a Normal Mode so challenging...
op: you appear to play games because you enjoy a good challenge. not all of us play games for this reason. i play games to unwind, enjoy, explore, & be entertained. & if that involves a certain amount of combat or skill, so be it - i'll make the effort, but if that ain't enough, & if easy mode's available, yep, i'm doin' it. hell, were there an easy mode for the souls games (well, besides magic), i'd've absolutely used it...

Drizzlehell

Banned
I think I did that on Fallout 3 recently but not because it was hard but because I just wanted to save time. The enemies are just bullet sponges on normal in that game, and I found myself getting bored with how long it took me to kill a basic bandit with a hunting rifle. Difficulty balancing is so fucked in most Bethesda games. I can't remember ever having such problems with New Vegas, though, and I even remember finishing that game on hardcore mode or whatever it was called.

Much for the same reason, I will usually put the combat difficulty on easy in most computer RPGs like Planescape Torment or Dragon Age because I just don't give a fuck and I want to get through the fights with as little effort as possible because that's not what I'm there for. Fights in those games is just something to add variety to gameplay but the main draw for me is usually the story and character dialogue, and maybe tinkering with the inventory and crafting menus or whatever.

Last edited:

Lord Panda

The Sea is Always Right
FT job plus overtime, kids, wife, house-shit/chores and responsibilities, other extended family and personal responsibilities > Games.

I wish I had the time or the inclination to play games even on 'easy'. Especially with games, and the gaming industry in general, these days not respecting my goddamn time.

Last edited:

Metnut

God of War wasnt hard, but the enemies kept getting more spongy and it was getting annoying. After 25 hours, I was ready to just run through the main plot and finish the story. So I switched to easy to finish. Zero guilt. I really do value my time.

"Excuse","grown man".......I think it's probably just a lot of guys don't take gaming quite as seriously as you do OP,lol.
No, no it can't be that. These so called grown men must actually be wimps. There's no challenge in real life that compares to the challenge that video games provide, and these wimps can't even face a regular challenge.

Imagine calling yourself a grown man and playing video games on easy mode. Get a load of this guy.

Banned
There is something called time constraints. Not everyone is free like you.

that only works as an argument if you are reaaaaaly shit at modern games. and I think that's the whole point of this thread... which games are actually in any way challenging on normal? I personally can't name you one.

normal mode in thr vast majority of modern games basically has no challenge, it's already on the level of what Spider-Man on PS1 called Kid Mode... in fact, Spiderman on PS4 is easier on hard than Spiderman on PS1 was in kid mode imo

Last edited:

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
If somebody prefers to play their game on easy mode then so be it. Play the game on whatever difficulty you feel comfortable with.

Top Bottom