• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are you listening to? THE MARCH EDITIONING

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mifune said:
I guess I've heard that the American mix has cleaner drum and bass. And there is some really amazing drumming on that album that is lost in the "mud." But yeah, I could see how a cleaner sound could detract a bit from the overall feel.

I was really obsessed with these guys for a while. I guess the later albums kind of tempered my enthusiasm a bit. And I guess by later albums, I mean Know Your Enemy. I'm waiting for a domestic release of Lifeblood before I commit, but the couple songs I've heard from it are not bad.

I used to be overly obsessed with the Manics back in 1999, I even got ahold of a fake ID so I could see them live in Seattle at AeroSpace (which is now Neumos, for those in Seattle).

Are there plans to release the 10th Anniversary edition of The Holy Bible or Lifeblood in North America? My copy of THB was stolen last year, and for Lifeblood, the local shop has one import copy for $25, and I don't want to shell out that much for it. Hell, I still need to replace Pulp's Different Class.

What am I listening to lately?

The Go Find -- Miami
Bonny Prince Billy and Matt Sweeny -- Superwolf
Bright Eyes -- Digital Ash in a Digital Urn
The Go! Team -- Thunder, Lightning, Strike
Roxy Music -- Country Life
David Bowie -- Aladdin Sane
Death Cab for Cutie -- The John Byrd EP

Mifune

Mehmber
distantmantra said:
Are there plans to release the 10th Anniversary edition of The Holy Bible or Lifeblood in North America? My copy of THB was stolen last year, and for Lifeblood, the local shop has one import copy for $25, and I don't want to shell out that much for it. Hell, I still need to replace Pulp's Different Class.

Actually, I think the 10th Anniversary edition came out today. It's from Sony, though, so it's not cheap, like the Clash set. I believe it's 30 bucks retail.

How's the John Byrd EP?

I want to buy the Ffa Coffi Pawb thing that came out today. Ffa Coffi Pawb being the band two guys - drummer and singer - from SFA were in prior to being in SFA. I'd also like to get The Holy Bible, as I've never actually owned it. The lyrical content of "Yes" is just - brutal.

Lifeblood isn't that great. Some of the songs are pretty good, but the stupidity of their recent lyrics bothers me.

I'm listening to:

Kaiser Chiefs - Employment
Doves - Last Broadcast, Some Cities
Bearsuit - Cat Spectacular!
Mercury Rev - The Secret Migration
Sly and the Family Stone - There's a Riot Goin' On
Animal Collective - Campfire Songs, Here Comes the Indian, Sung Tongs

Mifune said:
Actually, I think the 10th Anniversary edition came out today. It's from Sony, though, so it's not cheap, like the Clash set. I believe it's 30 bucks retail.

How's the John Byrd EP?

I can't find a single US retailer carrying THB if it did in fact come out today...

The John Byrd EP is good stuff, it's just a live album, but the cover of Sebadoh's "Brand New Love" is great. If you're interested in it, it's only being sold at independent record shops and Barsuk's website.

530211.jpg

skinlab.jpg

shadowsfall-theartof.jpg

B000093I3F.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

*raises horns*

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
The Smiths - The Queen is Dead
Exploding Hearts - Guitar Romantic
Matt Sweeney/Bonnie "Prince" Billy - Superwolf
Hella - Church Gone Wild/Chirpin' Hard
Ween - Pure Guava & The Pod
The Deaths - Choir Invisible
Bright Eyes - Letting Off the Happiness

Alucard

Banned
now-more-than-ever.gif

Random, but I really can't stress how good this album is. Jim Guthrie really knows how to craft a great song. I love the tasteful use of an orchestra in select parts of songs, and Guthrie's vocal melodies beg for you to sing along. So good. Check it out, GAF peeps!

Mifune

Mehmber
The couple Guthrie songs I downloaded were really great. Unfortunately, I haven't been able to find a store that has the album. And I live near some excellent record stores.

I could download it or order it from Amazon, but that just kinda takes the fun out of it, I guess.

bridegur

I listened to a lot of Weezer's "Beverly Hills" yesterday. Now I'm listening to a shoddy copy of it recorded on a cell phone. It's a fun song.

I'm also listening to:

Viva Voce- The Heat Can Melt Your Brain
Fiona Apple- Songs from Extraordinary Machine
Moulin Rouge Soundtrack
Hot Hot Heat- Goodnight, Goodnight

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
right now I can't stop listening to this

interpol_antics.jpg

awesome cd.

pretty much that, greenday and the killers at the moment. on and Queens of the stone ages new one, but just a little.

I saw the Futureheads live last night. I must say, what I witnessed may have been a show that'll be talked about for years here in Chicago. Thing is, I don't know if that's just a typical night for them, or if they exceptional by their own standards.

They were REALLY FUCKING GOOD (caps for emphasis/enthusiasm). The songs sounded better live than they do on record, which is a pretty tough task. Blazing hot scorching performances of "Alms" "Decent Days and Nights" "Robot", a decent cover (Television Personalities "A Picture of Dorian Grey") and a blast for a closer "Man Ray".

A good portion of the crowd was left breathless. Ross (lead singer) joked "We have to stop playing, because, we're out of songs" to which Jaff replied "I've got some jazz improvisations that could use some work". That was it.

They seem like cool and totally approachable guys completely devoid of any bullshit posing/pretention that seems to accompany many of today's band.

Please, if you remotely enjoyed their self-titled last year, make the effort to see them live.

I wish them they best, and I hope they go on to sell 4x the records Franz do in their lifetime, cause they deserve it.

Diablos

B0007735HG.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

AOTY so far.

B00026W82U.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Okay I guess, but after the first few songs it kind of goes downhill.

B0007OTWQW.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Solid. "Dakota" will surely be one of the best singles of the year.

B0007GAEW6.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Quite good, although there is some filler.

B0007QJ1N4.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Does not live up to QOTSA's previous releases.

B0000CAXID.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Classic.

B000002P5Y.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Even more classic.

enjoy bell woods said:
I want to buy the Ffa Coffi Pawb thing that came out today. Ffa Coffi Pawb being the band two guys - drummer and singer - from SFA were in prior to being in SFA. I'd also like to get The Holy Bible, as I've never actually owned it. The lyrical content of "Yes" is just - brutal.

Lifeblood isn't that great. Some of the songs are pretty good, but the stupidity of their recent lyrics bothers me.

I'm listening to:

Kaiser Chiefs - Employment
Doves - Last Broadcast, Some Cities
Bearsuit - Cat Spectacular!
Mercury Rev - The Secret Migration
Sly and the Family Stone - There's a Riot Goin' On
Animal Collective - Campfire Songs, Here Comes the Indian, Sung Tongs
Is there a new Mercury Rev album out?

Foreign Jackass, do you like the last Mercury Rev album? I really, seriously like the new one a whole lot. I highly recommend it despite what my music elitist peers may say. Try giving it a chance.

Jim Bowie

Sal Paradise Jr said:
I saw the Futureheads live last night. I must say, what I witnessed may have been a show that'll be talked about for years here in Chicago. Thing is, I don't know if that's just a typical night for them, or if they exceptional by their own standards.

They were REALLY FUCKING GOOD (caps for emphasis/enthusiasm). The songs sounded better live than they do on record, which is a pretty tough task. Blazing hot scorching performances of "Alms" "Decent Days and Nights" "Robot", a decent cover (Television Personalities "A Picture of Dorian Grey") and a blast for a closer "Man Ray".

A good portion of the crowd was left breathless. Ross (lead singer) joked "We have to stop playing, because, we're out of songs" to which Jaff replied "I've got some jazz improvisations that could use some work". That was it.

They seem like cool and totally approachable guys completely devoid of any bullshit posing/pretention that seems to accompany many of today's band.

Please, if you remotely enjoyed their self-titled last year, make the effort to see them live.

I wish them they best, and I hope they go on to sell 4x the records Franz do in their lifetime, cause they deserve it.

YES YES YES YES

Thank you~!

Finally, more love for this band. I want everybody to own this album, and I want the boys to make more music very very soon!

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
I thought The Futureheads was a pretty good record, nothing earth-shattering, but good. I'd like to see them live, but both chances I'd get have conflicts. They're playing tomorrow night (albeit 200 miles away), but I work, and I'm broke. And they're playing April 16th, again 200 miles away, in a different town. But I'm going to ANOTHER town to see Hella that weekend instead. I just suck. I'm sure they'll be around.

I wish that Bloc Party wasn't dragging The Kills with them on this tour. I want to see The Kills someplace tiny, thanks.

I am listening to Tom Heinl - With or Without Me right now....and speaking of Tom Heinl, if anyone can find me an mp3 (clip of the song or otherwise....) of his "Ballad of Dan Haggerty" pm me please!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom