• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are you reading? - August edition

Dagon

Just finished:

51g-sTHgTiL._SS500_.jpg

It's a timely look at the madness that runs through markets more often that people sometimes realize.

Just started on:

51d9YLQdhDL._SS500_.jpg

Pretty interesting so far. I wish there were more pictures of the actual counterfeit notes. I had no idea things were so chaotic before the federal government took control.

9781857236644.jpg

I believe I enjoy Clarke's straightforward prose as opposed to Kubrick's beautiful views as far as understanding what the heck is going on. Though I haven't hit the really weird stuff at the end yet.

I'm rereading the city watch books of the Discworld series while I hunt for another series to start. Hopefully something similar with good, dark humor and some odd mysteries.

Mamesj

Banned
2usxvew.jpg

I'm completely in love. The book is getting me interested in my eastern european heritage for the first time in my life...

Not a Jellyfish

but I am a sheep
Currently just sucked in by The Book Theif it is amazing. Always reading Blankets by Craig Thompson. It is a graphic novel that no matter what I can read. At the point where I read it almost monthly. I love it.

Spoit

doogles said:
Is it bad that I like this better than Betrayal? It moves faster and Jacen kicks ass.
It depends, if it's because of the mandos, it is bad, and you should feel bad

yonder

I just finished A Game of Thrones, which I liked but didn't love and I'm kinda on the fence about continuing with the series. I'm not much for political intrigues (I should have got a hint from the book's title) and I don't think most of the characters are interesting enough to warrant their own chapters. Also, there was such a plethora of them, all with names, nick-names and vast families. It confused me to the point where my mind just couldn't place them. Another minor thing that annoyed me was the almost "romantic novel" style of the sex scenes was off-putting and felt unnecessary and

Like I said, I enjoyed it, but there are lots of other books I want to read... Should I stick with it or move on?

Can anyone recommend some new (within the last few years) science fiction/fantasy novels?
I prefer series like Robert Jordan and George R. R. Martin.

Thanks!

Spoit said:
It depends, if it's because of the mandos, it is bad, and you should feel bad
It's not. Fett's parts of the books are my least favorite, except for maybe Han and Leia. I love Jacen's story though, which took all of Betrayal to build up. (And I understand why, but still.)

ninj4junpei said:
Traitor.

deadbeef

41HT3ZPFY2L._SL500_AA240_.jpg

This was a quick read. Brought back all the nervousness and anxious feelings of that day. Ugh, not feeling well now.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
started to read the northern lights, pretty good so far.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
don_quijote_dela_mancha.jpg

I was never able to finish it back in middle school. Now that I finally have time to do so I realise it will take me a long time.

Duderz said:
Pretty much the best book ever.

ConfederacyDuncesTwo.jpg

I'm a little over 100 pages in, and I'm just not enjoying it like pretty much everyone else is. Ignatius is pretty much the most annoying character ever.

It's very hit or miss with people. Ignatius is so fucking annoying, but if you think of him as purely comic relief (even as a sole protagonist) you can manage to get through it.

KingGondo

Banned
A Storm of Swords--George R.R. Martin

I've kind of given up on serious reading for the time being. ASOIAF is a great escape during my lunch break from work, and with second year of law school coming up, I doubt I'll finish Crime and Punishment soon like I'd planned... Ah well.

Chairman Yang

if he talks about books, you better damn well listen
Yonn said:
I just finished A Game of Thrones, which I liked but didn't love and I'm kinda on the fence about continuing with the series. I'm not much for political intrigues (I should have got a hint from the book's title) and I don't think most of the characters are interesting enough to warrant their own chapters. Also, there was such a plethora of them, all with names, nick-names and vast families. It confused me to the point where my mind just couldn't place them. Another minor thing that annoyed me was the almost "romantic novel" style of the sex scenes was off-putting and felt unnecessary and

Like I said, I enjoyed it, but there are lots of other books I want to read... Should I stick with it or move on?
Stick with the series. I personally didn't love it until Book 3; then when I re-read it, I loved the whole thing. Trust me on this one.

elephant_vanishes-729024.jpg

Halfway through. So far, "The Second Bakery Attack" is my favorite. "Sleep" my second favorite, although it's super creepy.

Buttchin

I jsut bought form amazon

"the watchmen" yes that one

"the intimate adventures of a london call girl" for my GF but you will prolly find me reading it as well after she is through with it....

and oh yeah my obligatory i am awesome must be stated...

oh yes i am very very awesome.... cept at typing.... that im less than awesome at....

10sgfux.jpg
1zmf7y8.jpg

Cormac McCarthy is an amazing writer.

I'm also in the middle of The Big Sleep.

DiddyBop said:
i was disappointed with the road when i started reading it,but it all came together at the end and i appreciated the first 3/4 of the book a lot more. a very realistic and gritty look into what could realistically happen in the future.

Blood Meridian is unbelievably brutal (and also a fucking masterpiece), but The Road affected me more deeply. It's one of the most harrowing novels I've ever read. It's very hard to keep going, but I couldn't put it down either.

Mifune

Mehmber
Yonn said:

The second book is pretty much a piece of shit. It effectively killied my desire to keep reading the series, and I really really liked Game of Thrones.

Of course, your mileage may vary and all that.

Choabac

41GGQdgSc-L._SL500_AA240_.jpg

Actually this is my first novel from this author. American Psycho is actually banned from sale in my state, but I’m sure the rest of his novels would be fine to purchase.

Uncle

Uuskumma.jpg

Contains the following stories:

Jeff VanderMeer: Secret life, 2002
Kelly Link: Magic for beginners, 2005
Margo Lanagan: Singing my sister down, 2004
Stepan Chapman: State secrets of Aphasia, 2002
Carol Emshwiller: Grandma, 2002
Gene Wolfe: From the cradle, 2002
Liz Williams: Honeydark, 2002
China Miéville: Familiar, 2002
Jeffrey Ford: Empire of ice cream, 2003

Dice Man said:
41HT3ZPFY2L._SL500_AA240_.jpg

This was a quick read. Brought back all the nervousness and anxious feelings of that day. Ugh, not feeling well now.

Yeah, VERY informative, but not a fun read. Man, the one guy who saw the plane coming, ducked under his desk, and had the wing go right through his office, was just...omfg. He walked out too.

deadbeef

sparky2112 said:
Yeah, VERY informative, but not a fun read. Man, the one guy who saw the plane coming, ducked under his desk, and had the wing go right through his office, was just...omfg. He walked out too.

About halfway through the book, I bookmarked the pages where he lists the people in the book who didn't make it out, because it was bothering me to read their stories and not know what happened to them. I think it was a defense mechanism to keep me from getting too involved with the people.

Definitely not fun.

Mamesj

Banned
Mad Hatter said:
elephant_vanishes-729024.jpg

Halfway through. So far, "The Second Bakery Attack" is my favorite. "Sleep" my second favorite, although it's super creepy.

Just bought this off amazon. Can't wait to read through it. I read too many of his books! I liked his short stories in After the Quake so much, I had to buy this.

Speaking of which, how fast do you guys read on average? I know, i know, it's relative to what you're reading...but I'm wondering if you have any tips on how to read faster. This question feels dumb. :lol

deadbeef

Mamesj said:
Just bought this off amazon. Can't wait to read through it. I read too many of his books! I liked his short stories in After the Quake so much, I had to buy this.

Speaking of which, how fast do you guys read on average? I know, i know, it's relative to what you're reading...but I'm wondering if you have any tips on how to read faster. This question feels dumb. :lol

It depends on what you're reading for. If you're reading for pleasure, why would you try and read faster? If you're reading to extract information, then reading straight from cover to cover isn't very efficient.

Here's a good article about reading non-fiction books for research and/or school:

http://www.si.umich.edu/~pne/PDF/howtoread.pdf

Mamesj

Banned
Dice Man said:
It depends on what you're reading for. If you're reading for pleasure, why would you try and read faster? If you're reading to extract information, then reading straight from cover to cover isn't very efficient.

Here's a good article about reading non-fiction books for research and/or school:

http://www.si.umich.edu/~pne/PDF/howtoread.pdf

I've got research/school reading down pretty nicely, actually. Years of needlessly complex social science papers have trained me...

I want to read for pleasure faster though, since there are tons of books to read. It's almost worse than having 70 hour RPGs in a gaming back log. I probably just need to spend more time reading, less time gaming and gaffing.

deadbeef

Mamesj said:
I've got research/school reading down pretty nicely, actually. Years of needlessly complex social science papers have trained me...

I want to read for pleasure faster though, since there are tons of books to read. It's almost worse than having 70 hour RPGs in a gaming back log. I probably just need to spend more time reading, less time gaming and gaffing.

Yep, that's what finally let me start reading more.

Dyno

51ShUc26MUL._SL500_.jpg

Patrick Cockburn's knowledge of Iraq is deep and of a first-hand nature. The first half of the book isn't even about Muqtada but his father, uncle, and the Iraq they struggled in. It lays all the groundwork to understand Iraq starting with the Kuwait war, the Iraq Army mutiny that followed Desert Storm, the failed Shia uprising, and the brutality that followed.

All of these events lead directly to the Iraq that lay in waiting for America upon their occupation. The legacy of the last war is what created the Sunni/Shia divide that played itself out once the country turned lawless. While (thankfully) not a long book it is pretty dense, though educational.

calder

FnordChan said:
511%2BlsHkFKL._SS500_.jpg

I'm around halfway through Havana Bay, the fourth of Martin Cruz Smith's Arkady Renko novels. Renko, the Soviet detective introduced in Gorky Park in 1981, is now a post-Soviet detective who has come to Havana...well, for a variety of reasons, but the plot centers on a missing friend (of sorts) from the earlier novels. Renko finds himself investigating in a hostile environment (with much of Cuba happily taking any given opportunity to condemn the Russians for abandoning them after the fall of the Soviet Union) which is as entrancing as it is incomprehensible. As in previous novels, Smith does a wonderful job of capturing the feel of communism teetering on the edge of collapse, populating the environment with fascinating characters and writing his hero with even darker humor than usual. I'm digging the hell out of it.
Martin Cruz Smith is easily one of my favourite authors, and I coincidentally reread Havana Bay about a month ago after rereading Polar Star. It's a fantastic book, and to me at least just about the end of the excellent Renko series (the last one, Stalin's Ghost, is good but lacking in comparison to the 4 brilliant and 1 very good books that precede it). At this point to read a Renko novel you have to fudge the timelines a bit, and after the 90's setting of Cuba and Pripyat I'm not sure there's anything else to be done. Smith has to kind of keep him in statis or else get ever more vague with dates and eras, and neither solution works that well any more. Oh, and make sure you read "Rose" if you haven't already, it's definitely the non-Renko novel by MCS I most loved.

Keen said:
Just started:
41FowInlz9L._SS500_.jpg
Absolutely dying to read this book, can't wait to find it. Not every day that one of your fav authors in a genre you don't normally love announces a plan to try a book in your absolute favourite genre as a change. :D

For me I've been all over lately. I recently finished:
514I3S%2B6OAL._SS500_.jpg

Set in a fairly standard yet well realized fantasy world it's the story of a massive ship set to sail on a trading voyage to a neutral island. From the get go a number of conspiracies, plots and betrayals dog the ship and it's passengers, with most of them related to the simmering tensions between two large hostile empires.

For the first half of the book I felt it was excellent. Great characters, some real variety and depth to the fantasy/magic elements and a good plot. Sadly the last half felt very rushed, with some poor pacing and clear "first book" issues from the author like having major plot developments happen 'off screen' so to speak and have characters learn of them through brief conversation or increasingly routine deus ex machina meetings between imperiled allied characters. The last half of the book felt more like a good young adult novel than the gripping fantasy of the first half. Still worth checking out, as I said the story was quite good and the series is very promising for genre fans.

I'm also reading:
51XNQAJAXPL.jpg

VileBodies.jpg

I more immediately enjoyed Vile Bodies, but as Decline and Fall is Waugh's first novel I figured I better stick with that one first. The setting, a public school in the 1920's, isn't as familiar to me as Vile Bodies or even a Wilde play but his dry satire is definitely fantastic. Can't believe I haven't read any of his books before.

in%20the%20eye%20of%20heaven.jpg

It's... alright. Almost stopped reading it twice, but I'm limping on to the end now. I suspect once I'm done all memory of it will vanish, subsumed by the memory of hundreds of other fantasy books a lot like it of about the same quality I've forgotten over the years.

I recently read Joe Hill's "Heart Shaped Box". That was an excellent ghost story, tight and increasingly interesting. One of those books you read fast thinking "this would make a great movie" in the best sense.

Mifune

Mehmber
calder said:
Martin Cruz Smith is easily one of my favourite authors, and I coincidentally reread Havana Bay about a month ago after rereading Polar Star. It's a fantastic book, and to me at least just about the end of the excellent Renko series (the last one, Stalin's Ghost, is good but lacking in comparison to the 4 brilliant and 1 very good books that precede it). At this point to read a Renko novel you have to fudge the timelines a bit, and after the 90's setting of Cuba and Pripyat I'm not sure there's anything else to be done. Smith has to kind of keep him in statis or else get ever more vague with dates and eras, and neither solution works that well any more. Oh, and make sure you read "Rose" if you haven't already, it's definitely the non-Renko novel by MCS I most loved.

What did you think of Wolves Eat Dogs? I have a copy of Stalin's Ghost that sits here, as yet unread.

And I couldn't agree with you more about Rose. I absolutely love that book. Up there with Gorky Park as my favorite MCS book period.

Alucard

Banned
I am finishing this up tonight...

250px-Foundation_cover.jpg

It's excellent in its individual chapters, but I'm still trying to like the book as a whole. I was hoping for a more consistent following of characters, instead of the "let's introduce a bunch of new characters and make you care about them for 20-30 pages and then fast forward 30-50 years and start all over again." More thoughts later. Asimov is still awesome. I will be moving on to Foundation and Empire after this.

Top Bottom