• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are you reading? (February 2012)

And I've started to re-read Steinbeck's East of Eden. Felt it was time to read it again. It's one of the few great books I've read and every page reminds me of it.

I absolutely love that book. It surprises me how often it seems to get overshadowed by Grapes of Wrath or Of Mice and Men.

And I've started to re-read Steinbeck's East of Eden. Felt it was time to read it again. It's one of the few great books I've read and every page reminds me of it.

That was on TCM last night. It made me wonder why James Dean is a legend or even remembered at all.

sgossard

166966.jpg

Very fast paced (read half of it yesterday) and very fun. Feels almost like a comicbook (the author does write comics, so it's just natural). Enjoying it a lot.

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
Just finished these two this weekend:

P9HXc.jpg

HiH8E.jpg

Enjoyed them both. Steve Martin is a surprisingly (at least to me) gifted writer. Anything else by him that's worth reading?

Will start this tonight or tomorrow:

41i4z.jpg

Qwomo

Finally finished Flashman!

C5GMf.jpg

Man, what a really awesome book. It didn't hook me from the get-go but after a while I really fell in love with Fraser's writing style. I'm really jealous of how great his narrative style is - he knows exactly how to move the plot along at exactly the right pace. He knows what to skip, what to summarize, and even what dialogue to paraphrase. It's great! There is absolutely zero fluff in this book, and I love it for that. Wish I could write so well.

Thankfully, I got Royal Flash for Christmas too. Just about to sit down and give it a whirl:

l7bUN.jpg

edit: Wait, there was a Flashman movie in the 70s? With Malcolm McDowell? And to think I spent this whole book thinking a Flashman movie with Fassbender or Tom Hardy would be amazing.

edit edit: HOLY SHIT SWEET JESUS MARY MOTHERFUCKING CHRIST

In 2013, Michael Fassbender is set to take on the role of Harry Flashman in a film adaptation of the books by George MacDonald Fraser.

OHH DEAR GOD

Dresden

No source cited for that wikipedia entry, and I'm having a difficult time pinning down anything other than a mention of a rumor regarding Flashman & Fassbender. :O

Still, I'd like to see one if it should happen.

lunch

there's ALWAYS ONE
AIaKk.jpg

Going to start Edmund White's Jack Holmes & His Friend; it'll be my first book by him. Here's hoping it's good.

Salazar

Wonder which one they'll tackle.

Redo Royal Flash.

Not so much blatant racism or rape/sort-of-rape. Genuinely glorious villains. Story is as tight as a fucking drum. Hardly anybody has seen or remembers the first version.

You're right about Fraser being a genius, Qwomo.

After finishing Rise of the Iron Moon, I'm on to the 4th Jackelian book; Secrets of the Fire Sea.

9780007289639.jpg

I enjoy the series but I sometimes wish the death count wasn't so high in every book.

After finishing Rise of the Iron Moon, I'm on to the 4th Jackelian book; Secrets of the Fire Sea.

9780007289639.jpg

I enjoy the series but I sometimes wish the death count wasn't so high in every book.

Are these YA? I see them at the library and bookstore quite often, but I never hear of anyone actually reading them. Looks mildly interesting is why I'm asking...

Young adult? I guess. There's a lot of death and a far bit of gore at points so YMMV. They're entertaining even if the plots do hurdle along at a 1,000 MPH. Recommend you start with Court of the Air as it helps to set up the world it takes place in.

Seanspeed

Banned
Yes. The beginning was hard to push myself through. The book really picks up
after Kvothe's family is killed
. It becomes an amazing journey onwards. The sequel is even better.

Thats quite a spoiler for somebody just starting to read it or even more for people who haven't yet. Be careful.....

I'm almost finished with the sequel right now. Kvothe sure does think a lot of himself and it doesn't feel as if any plot is actually taking place, but the writing is fantastic and the adventures are enjoyable to follow.

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor
the-night-circus-by-erin-morgenstern-197x300.jpg

Finished The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern on the weekend. Was really, really surprised by how great it was. From my review:

Every so often, a novel comes along that knocks me off my feet, ties me up and leaves me bound, unable to escape until I turn its final page. Even after that final page is turned though, these novels live in my memory, constanly ekeing their way into my thoughts and colouring my discussion of other, inferior novels. I’ve been lucky enough to have this experience twice in the last handful of months; first with The Tiger’s Wife by Tea Obreht and now with The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern.

[...]

The Night Circus is a classic novel that will sit on the highest shelf of my bookshelf, right next to The Hobbit and The Shadow of the Wind. If you’re familiar with me or this blog, you will know that that is not praise lightly given. It calls back to a time when there was still magic in the circus, when slack-jawed carnies, enormous teddy bears and rigged ring-toss was nothing but a far-off thought. The majority of my time spent reading The Night Circus was in the early morning, before the sun rose, and at bedtime, while the moon hung in the sky and darkness blanketed the world. During the daylight hours, when I was not reading The Night Circus, I thought of little else, and I think Chandresh Christophe Lefèvre, proprietor of Le Cirque des Rêves, would be proud. In a way, I wish I could have written this review with less superlatives, more critical analysis, but I struggled mightily with the effort. So, instead, I write of the joy I found in The Night Circus. There’s magic in this novel and it deserves to be read by anyone wanting to be reminded that there is more to life than meets the eye.

Full review here.

Now back to my Wheel of Time re-read. Working on book five, The Fires of Heaven.

I tend to read two books at a time. One fiction book and one nonfiction book.

Currently reading:

200px-TheElegantUniverse.jpg

I've had the Elegant Universe for a while now, but am just now getting into it as I have a serious backlog of books to get through. I've read my share of physics books, but am not well versed in String Theory and Brain Greene has above average prose for a scientist.

A-Dance-with-Dragons.jpg

This is my second time reading ADWD; missed quite a lot on my first read.

6a00d8341c562c53ef0168e4edebee970c-320wi

Also reading this when I have free time at home; a quick read; I just need more free time.

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor
Crazy that it started out as a NaNoWriMo project.

Oddly, the day after I finished The Night Circus, I watched the film adaptation of Water for Elephants, which was also a NaNoWriMo project.

Arment

Is Homeland the first book in the series?

Yeah although for some reason he published The Icewind Dale Trilogy first. It's better to read The Dark Elf Trilogy first. Like...highly better.

Anyone read the Legend of Drizzt books? Worth it?

They're good books but there are so many of them. After a while they get old. And they're not exactly the pinnacle of fantasy writing or anything. Easy reading though.

I feel like Drizzt has taken a sideline in The Orc King. There are barely any chapters about him in it.

Mumei

Finished a couple things:

- The Ethics of Capital Punishment (a collection of essays on the subject)
- The Magic of Reality: How We Know What's Really True, Richard Dawkins
- The Color of Magic, Terry Pratchett
- James Bowie and his famous knife, Shannon Garst

The last was one of the complete books in the anthology I'm currently reading, and really isn't something I would have read otherwise.

I ordered the Lydia Davis translation of Madame Bovary (Flaubert), The Hollow Hills (Mary Stewart), and It Gets Better: Coming Out, Overcoming Bullying, and Creating a Life Worth Living (Dan Savage, Terry Miller)

Childhood's End by Arthur C. Clarke (1953)

efaa0365.jpg

Childhood's End is in some ways rather remarkable, and in others slightly dull and depressing. Though we follow, what I found to be, an ingenious and highly inventive plot through the experiences of a number of human protagonists, I never really felt any connection to these characters, their place on page seeming entirely for the purposes of providing a window into the different ages the plot paces through. Despite this, and despite some plodding prose in parts, I was intrigued by the premise Clarke sets us, of an all-powerful alien race descending to Earth and subverting control from humanity, and enthralled by the direction in which he takes the story towards it's ambitious, albeit somewhat depressing, ending.

*edit, finally finished The Great Game too, which I found highly informative and intriguing, but a tough read nonetheless.

bloodydrake

Cool Smoke Luke
159236865.JPG

Finished off Pendegast #6 Dance of Death..its a fun series really enjoy the modern Sherlock Holmes Procedural Thriller of Preston and Childs books..nothing serious just like a fun action/mystery story.

99383.jpg

Mid way thru the Dresden Files book 6 Blood Rites..great ubran fantasy series I think its really hit its stride now.

Its kinda if harry potter grew up in the True Blood universe , and in his late 20's started working as a private detective helping wayward souls.

Jarlaxle

Yeah although for some reason he published The Icewind Dale Trilogy first. It's better to read The Dark Elf Trilogy first. Like...highly better.

I would reccomend the opposite. I believe the books are meant to be read in the publishing order. Start with The Crystal Shard if you're interested.

Salavatore's better work however is the Demon Wars series. It's better written and it's only 7 books long. Unfortunately the first book is the worst one.

Top Bottom