• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are you reading? (May 2010)

eznark

Banned
Finished The Big Short.

64364559.JPG

If you read his article from 2009 in Portfolio he introduces Steve Eismann and develops all of the themes for this book. To be honest, aside from introducing a few more interesting individuals, that long article is all you need. The book provides some nice filler and in the end is an enjoyable read, but it's ultimately not necessary if you've read the article. Indeed, the opening chapter+ I think lifts paragraphs directly from the article.

It really is worth a read despite my gripes (constant re-explanation of various subprime securities would maybe be helpful if you're a layman but are infuriating if you come in with any knowledge) and the individuals introduced are fantastic characters. I think if you have no real understanding of what happened in September and October of 2008, though, you will come away feeling underwhelmed by the conclusion.

Now I am moving on to the Unincorporated War and Guns of August.

65216351.JPG

54778780.JPG

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
Oh shit, I started Moneyball earlier and have not been able to put it down. Having recently read Freakonomics which is so heavy on statistics, this feels like a natural progression.

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
Recently finished

21b4r6c.jpg

and

sws9x0.jpg

Both really good, but weird reading back to back. Hamilton goes into extreme detail in describing his future. Asimov will have none of that, it's pretty much all dialog based. A genius work, however.

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
I read Pandora's Star by Hamilton recently, I'd never heard of him before. Mammoth books, but he is quite good. Lot of great ideas in there. Not sure I have stamina for his sequel right away. I usually fear genre novels of that size, but he had some great pacing for a big book. Even though it ended in a literal cliffhanger.

thomaser

Helmholtz said:
I read it a few months back for school. Really liked it, it's extremely well written. But ya, definitely not a mood-lifter :(

Only a little way in, and it's definitely well written! I like the contrast between his super-detailed, rich descriptions of dust, wind and crops in the first chapter and the very simple and down to earth conversation in the truck in the next chapter.

Was on vacation the past week and read through A Game of Thrones

51gTFaEvGfL._SL500_AA266_PIkin2,BottomRight,-17,34_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

My first forray into the fantasy genre. Brilliant.

I'm not sure what I wanna do next ... if I wanna move on to A Clash of Kings already or break things up and read something else.

Salazar

The Function of Criticism from the Spectator to Post-Structuralism, by Terry Eagleton.

A keening, squealing, issue of babyish rage about the failure of the British bourgeoisie to conclusively wrest political discourse and authority from its traditional (I'll grant you, acutely fallible) holders and venues. An outraged burble (from an academic critic) about the 'academicization' of literary criticism, which ostensibly killed its (never existent) organic, virtue-ensuring connection with the will of the masses. Miserable git, capable of such miserable writing as 'academicization'.

And he only got more huffy and alienated after he wrote it.

eznark said:
Finished The Big Short.

65216351.JPG

Tuchman was brilliant, and this book is more than proof of that. Sidenote that may or may not be well known: Kennedy was reading this book during the Cuban Missle Crisis, and people often speculate that his level-headedness and restraint can be at least partially attributed to this book.

eznark

Banned
sparky2112 said:
Tuchman was brilliant, and this book is more than proof of that. Sidenote that may or may not be well known: Kennedy was reading this book during the Cuban Missle Crisis, and people often speculate that his level-headedness and restraint can be at least partially attributed to this book.
Yeah, the opening paragraph was just amazing. After reading that I know I am in for something special. I really like that she assumed you know all the characters, yet don't know the outcome. I'm about 80 pages in and it is extremely well written.

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
Salazar said:
The Function of Criticism from the Spectator to Post-Structuralism, by Terry Eagleton.

A keening, squealing, issue of babyish rage about the failure of the British bourgeoisie to conclusively wrest political discourse and authority from its traditional (I'll grant you, acutely fallible) holders and venues. An outraged burble (from an academic critic) about the 'academicization' of literary criticism, which ostensibly killed its (never existent) organic, virtue-ensuring connection with the will of the masses. Miserable git, capable of such miserable writing as 'academicization'.

And he only got more huffy and alienated after he wrote it.

haha, this is the perfect take on it and Eagleton. Bravo.

Salazar said:
Terry Eagleton

Will always be fondly remembered for poking that hornet's nest of sharp phrases otherwise known as the skinny Gene Hunt - or, forgive me, Martin Amis. Besides that, he seems to be in the prolific doldrums of over-indulging in his own thought.

KidDork

Maklershed said:
Was on vacation the past week and read through A Game of Thrones

My first forray into the fantasy genre. Brilliant.

I'm not sure what I wanna do next ... if I wanna move on to A Clash of Kings already or break things up and read something else.

You may want to not speed through these, since Martin fans have resigned themselves to a long wait for the fifth novel, if and when it ever appears. If you enjoyed Martin, I'd recommend Steve Erikson. Same flavour of dark fantasy with some wonderful soldier characters. And the books come out on a somewhat regular basis.

As for my reading, I finally got around to starting THE GIRL WITH THE DRAGON TATTOO, jumpstarted when the rep theatre near my place started showing the film, and I simply cannot see the film without reading the book first.

Raist

Banned
51M-g8sSbrL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

If you're even remotely interested in Evolution, doubt it, or are already very faniliar with its concepts, this is a must read. Started it a couple of days ago and absolutely love it. It's filled with mind blowing examples and very nice drawings/pictures etc.

X26

Banned
Finished:

After the Quake - Murakami
Stories were pretty dull I found, his style just doesn't work for me when it's contained to only a few pages per story

Anansi Boys - Gaiman
Loved it, would put it right up there with American Gods as far as enjoyability goes

Starting:

Children of Hurin - Tolkien

Norwegian Wood - Murakami

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
I would like to read a novel about either of the 2 below

a heist
Poker

Any recommendations?

Lear

Just finished reading this
n2478.jpg

She's not the most sophisticated of authors, but she does write a very engrossing story. If anyone is interested in her work, I'd recommend Rebecca over this by quite a large margin.

I'm probably going to start either
Screenshot2010-05-30at175435.png
or
41mspne2KrL_SL500_AA300_.jpg
next, when I have the time.

eznark

Banned
catfish said:
I would like to read a novel about either of the 2 below

a heist
Poker

Any recommendations?

http://www.amazon.com/dp/0312422520/?tag=neogaf0e-20

I absolutely love Positively Fifth Street by James McManus.

41hMlg9m2GL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

It's about the authors unlikely bid to win the World Series of Poker no-limit hold em tournament interwoven with the crazy ass Binion murder trial. The murder is even the result of a blown heist! It has everything for you!!

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
eznark said:
It's about the authors unlikely bid to win the World Series of Poker no-limit hold em tournament interwoven with the crazy ass Binion murder trial. The murder is even the result of a blown heist! It has everything for you!!

FUCKING SWEET

EDIT:

I'm currently reading

The master and Margarita

200px-Masta_n_margarita.jpg

It's really weird. About some mysterious guy that could be a devil demon or magician who shows up and starts saying mysterious stuff and messing with everyone. A giant cat and some dude with a monacle or something seem to follow him around and it contains a lot of biblical references, with the stories massively changed, because this guy was there and knows how it really went.

Kindle owners - is there a trick to make a purchased book dl to the Kindle faster after you buy it? Sometimes it takes at least an hour for my Kindle and Amazon account to sync. I'd like to keep the wireless off as much as possible to conserve energy.

Also, does the Kindle keep trying to sync even when it goes into sleep mode (and shows a picture) or does it only attempt to sync when its active?

Just finished

No Contest by Alfie Kohn
NoContestT.jpg

and
Lancelot by Walker Percy (Which I LOVED)
walker-percy-lancelot.jpg

Just started on Wise Blood in my new Collected Works of Flannery O'Connor, and I'll be starting Born to Run by Christopher McDougall soon as my non-fiction supplement.

eznark

Banned
Alfie Kohn hates sports and wants a national bureaucratic agency dedicated to regulating things like Little League. Does he go into this in that book?

eznark

Banned
chuckddd said:
Hey eznark, did you ever go back to any of the Banks books? Use of Weapons is a must read.
No, I've been on a non-fiction kick and that first Banks book really put me off. Maybe next month I'll give use of weapons a shot. I do have Player of Games loaded on my nook, just can't stomach starting it.

My next fiction book is Unincorporated War which if it is anywhere near as good as Unincorporated Man I will finish quick.

Top Bottom