• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are you reading (May 2012)

Sleepy

A bit ADD at the moment, as I put aside the film history book I was reading for:

314TtW5OpZL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

41%2BhGhko9YL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

414gnC0HLuL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

I read about 5 pages and then move on to the next one; repeat. I think I need to internet detox this weekend, as it may be fucking with my ability to concentrate.

I'm reading through "Devil in White City" and find it both great and boring at the same time. Rants on architects feelings are really mood killers on the other hand history stuff is interesting as is the "other" main person.

Before that I read through Elantris and enjoyed it but I crave some fast paced action/fantasy/thriller/anything.

I've read SoIaF, Abercrombie, Enders, Dunes, Hyperions, Endymons, LoTRs. But I guess rest is fair game.
I prefer heroic deeds and great wars but any page turner is good :p

Thank you for your time!

Sorry about quoting myself but I've read through Devil in White City and really need another book :)

Finished Moby Dick a few days ago - the ending really puts the tone of the book in a entirely new context, but yeah while I felt the philosophical and thematic content during the middle-sections flew over my head somewhat, the start and end of the book is just wonderful, definitely lives up to it's reputation; I'm already looking forward to re-reading it a few months from now, and picking up on what I missed during my initial reading.

I read Moby Dick a summer or two ago and loved it. I've also been thinking about re-reading it but I'm not sure if I want to deal with the whale culture sections again. I actually thought they were pretty interesting the first time around, but either they completely went over my head or they didn't have a whole lot to do with the plot sections of the book. There were some interesting ideas in there not related to whales, and of course there's bits of Ishmael's character in them, but for the most part they seemed inconsequential. I'm wondering how much I would miss out if I skipped them, or maybe found a list of must-read chapters somewhere. Probably I should just wait another few years when the book isn't as fresh in my mind.

I downloaded a ton of free book on Project Gutenberg to read over the summers and I started reading A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court. Despite Huck Finn being one of my favorite books I've never read anything else by Mark Twain, and I'm really liking this so far. I don't get quite the same "timeless classic" feeling as from Huck Finn, but it's funny. I don't like how Twain just flat-out goes on rants about the church and nobility, I appreciate how in Huck Finn the social commentary is more subtly told from Huck's perspective. Also I'm wondering where the book is going, I'm at the part where the main character has "set off for adventure" and according to the Kindle I'm only about 20% in, and I'm really hoping the whole "I'm the smartest man on earth but the nobility unfairly have power" thing isn't the main thing keeping the story going.

The book also seems a little pretentious to me, Mark Twain always seems like an awesome guy, but I think it's easy to say you'd be a benevolent dictator if you've never actually had the power. Still, reading this has reminded me I need to pick up his autobiography soon.

Edit: Found a picture for fun.

L25KM.jpg

Sorry about quoting myself but I've read through Devil in White City and really need another book :)

I usually don't like fantasy but the Kingkiller Chronicles books were actually pretty fun. They sort of reminded me of Harry Potter, not anything you'll likely remember a few years from now, but it's a well-told story (well, the first book is anyway, I enjoyed the second by opinions on it are divisive). It's a really good summer book.

Kuraudo

Banned
Read these this month:

windthroughthekeyhole-uk.jpeg
outer_dark.large.jpg

The Wind Through the Keyhole was a pretty fun return to Midworld. Loved the story of Tim Ross that makes up the bulk of the book - felt like an adult YA story which managed to hit on everything that makes the DT world such an interesting place. Right up there with 11-22-63 with King producing some of his best fiction in years. Hopefully he explores some of Tim's other adventures.

Outer Dark never really came together for me. The tone and prose blended perfectly but the story didn't do a whole lot for me. Bit of a disappointment, especially as I just recently read Blood Meridian

I'm now reading The Pale King.

9780141046730.jpg

I wasn't going to read this until after I'd finished Wallace's other work (still haven't read Girl with Curious Hair nor his non-fiction books), but I couldn't resist it when I found the paperback version in Waterstones. Loving it so far - the writing is sublime so far, with the same confidence that he displayed in Oblivion.

I've heard about the books and plan to read them but I prefer series that are already finished, I really hate waiting :p

Yeah, I'm definitely going to be getting the third book whenever it comes out and I'm not sure if I'm going to reread the other two or just read summaries.

I'm now reading The Pale King.

9780141046730.jpg

I wasn't going to read this until after I'd finished Wallace's other work (still haven't read Girl with Curious Hair nor his non-fiction books), but I couldn't resist it when I found the paperback version in Waterstones. Loving it so far - the writing is sublime so far, with the same confidence that he displayed in Oblivion.

It really is wonderful, but very much in Wallace's 'mature' style. And the cover art is done by his widow; it's sublime....

Lumiere

Neo Member
In the last few weeks I've read First Shift by Hugh Howey, Stardust by Neil Gaiman, and Hyperion + Fall of Hyperion by Dan Simmons.
Loved the Hyperion books, yesterday I started

51iY931WRFL.jpg

I keep hearing the last two books are not as good as the first two, hope they're not too bad. I plan on getting Rise of Endymion too unless Endymion ends up boring me.

149213492.JPG

Final book in the Repairman Jack series. It was released nearly 20 years ago, but has been out of print. The author did extensive tweaking to it to make it work with the Jack series and end the Adversary Cycle as well. Very excited to finally read it.

eattomorro

Neo Member
Three Kingdoms is a very hard read even for Chinese or Asian people. You better be prepared.

If anyone is interested in translated Chinese martial art/comedy novel, there is Deer and the Cauldron by Jin Yong. Some plots were left out but it is very easy to read. Some considered this the best book by the most popular Chinese author. No Kindle unfortunately.

51dIdKoU4aL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/The-Deer-Cauldron-First-Book/dp/0195903234

I'm 12% into 3K and I can see why people have problems with it. There are a lot of people and names and places and events to remember, and there's always something happening, someone scheming and it all takes place machine gun style. You really have to keep your wits about you and re-read if you have to. Actually I'm having less problems with the names of people since I played the Dynasty Warrior series, but does the author really have to name everyone including the cook? ;)

Deer and the Cauldron looks cool, thanks for sharing!

ilikeme

Been reading about japanese society and culture at university in spring, which got me really interested in finally getting into japanese literature. Starting of with some Kinnosuke :D
fiBa2.jpg

Kokoro by Natsume Soseki

I'm really enjoying it, it's just the kind of book I enjoy. Simple and well paced, and I can't wait to see it unfold, reading it leisurely through summer

Also read some of his Haiku poems. Wonderful stuff!

Started this last night.

0zZ35.jpg

Its pretty good so far, I feel like an idiot not know Joe Hill was Stephen Kings son. On another note i just order my 3rd copy of 1Q84, I saw that there is a paperback edition out so yeah its pretty much a must have for me.

ZkZvK.jpg

iammeiam

I just finished this:
1F71P.jpg

and the follow-up prequel First Shift - Legacy

I wound up picking it up because the free preview section on Amazon surprised me; the setting is enough to make you think you know the story (in the future, everyone lives in an underground silo. You're not allowed to even think about leaving; if you mention wanting to go outside, you're forced out into the wasteland to die), but the free excerpt took a path I was not expecting. Definitely worth checking out if you have a Kindle, since it's cheap; since it's self-published the paperback is quite comparatively expensive. It did get optioned for a movie though, so I'd imagine a cheaper published version is inevitable.

In a lot of ways, Wool's first half read like something that could have wound up being a story from the Fallout universe.

First Shift wasn't quite as good--it was interesting, clarified some things, and is clearly setting up a sequel series to Wool, but just groundwork so far.

I just finished this:
1F71P.jpg

I wound up picking it up because the free preview section on Amazon surprised me; the setting is enough to make you think you know the story (in the future, everyone lives in an underground silo. You're not allowed to even think about leaving; if you mention wanting to go outside, you're forced out into the wasteland to die), but the free excerpt took a path I was not expecting. Definitely worth checking out if you have a Kindle, since it's cheap; since it's self-published the paperback is quite comparatively expensive. It did get optioned for a movie though, so I'd imagine a cheaper published version is inevitable.

In a lot of ways, Wool's first half read like something that could have wound up being a story from the Fallout universe.

First Shift wasn't quite as good--it was interesting, clarified some things, and is clearly setting up a sequel series to Wool, but just groundwork so far.

Actually just started this book this week. Its good so far and I can definitely feel the Fallout vibe so far. I'm only about a quarter done. I bought the Omnibus edition for kindle.

I also read that Ridley Scott is going to be directing a movie of it as well? If so, gives me even more incentive to get through the book.

Fjordson

I just finished this:
1F71P.jpg

and the follow-up prequel First Shift - Legacy.
Wool is so damn good. I still have two stories left to go in the omnibus, but I love what I've read so far. Will definitely get to finishing them soon.

Just started:

475a23f97dc6feedd4e87mc8up.jpg

Needed a change of pace from all the sci-fi and fantasy I've read this past year. Good so far. Always been fascinated by WWII, but everything involving the Red Army vs. Germany is something I haven't really delved into too deeply before.

Just picked up The Long Ships after seeing it brought up so many times in this thread, the foreword by Michael Chabon was what finally piqued my interest enough. Also got Skippy Dies on BenjaminBirdies recommendation. Expecting good things!

I just finished this:
1F71P.jpg

Okay you convinced me. I just bought it from Amazon.

Finished this over tea this morning:

Retribution Falls by Chris Wooding
Really liked it! Thanks for the recommendation, GAF. It was very Firefly-like, which is a good thing since I love love love Firefly. The captain wasn't as honorable as I would have liked, but I really liked Crake and Jez.

The only thing that bothered me was (spoiler about the story)
how easy it was for the captain and crew to just sell out all the pirates at Retribution Falls. I thought they'd at least feel a little bit of camaraderie with their fellow pirates and not want to give away their secret meeting place

bengraven

Okay you convinced me. I just bought it from Amazon.

Finished this over tea this morning:

Retribution Falls by Chris Wooding
Really liked it! Thanks for the recommendation, GAF. It was very Firefly-like, which is a good thing since I love love love Firefly. The captain wasn't as honorable as I would have liked, but I really liked Crake and Jez.

The only thing that bothered me was (spoiler about the story)
how easy it was for the captain and crew to just sell out all the pirates at Retribution Falls. I thought they'd at least feel a little bit of camaraderie with their fellow pirates and not want to give away their secret meeting place

I really gotta read this soon.

I'm about 70% through The Great Hunt, and I am not really feeling it. I think I may give up on the Wheel of Time series.

I started Agatha Christie's The Mysterious Affair at Styles. I've only read the first chapter, so I can't judge it yet.

gdt

People pimping The Way of Kings really makes me want to pick it up.

How is The Mistborn Trilogy? Never read any books by that author.

Can't comment on Mistborn, but definitely give Way of Kings a try. I bought the book for my brother, and he finished it like 2 weeks even though he doesn't usually read a lot.

Donthizz#

Any book by Brandon Sanderson is a must buy.. Mistborn trilogy is one of his best work, BUY IT!!

hamchan

It's very good. Sanderson is pretty darn great. One thing though, his stories often start off slow and gradually builds up over the course of the novel for a great ending. So you have to stick with it while reading his books.

Verdre

Unconfirmed Member

I'd say try one of his books to see if you'll like him. I think he has a very distinct style that you may or may not like. I think he's okay, but his magic systems all come off very video game-ish to me.

Ceebs

I have held off reading The Way of Kings because it sounds like it is another of those fantasy books with an enormous cast and constantly swapping perspectives.

I enjoyed the Mistborn books in part because they followed a very small cast of characters.

Mumei

Tried reading that high school, I got distracted and stop reading it. I've been meaning to go back to it for some time now. I love the Dynasty Warrior lore, so I probably would dig Three Kingdoms. Let me know how you like it.

Well, minor update for you:

I finished the first volume (which is really meaningless; they just divided the story into six volumes), and I quite enjoy it. I have almost no experience with Chinese fiction beyond reading a collection of fiction by Lu Xun last year, and my mind sort of goes... blank when I see a list of more than five Chinese names next to each other.

Now that I am ~500 pages in, though, I have a better grasp of who the important characters are, and I feel like I understand it in context. If you just gave me the name of some random secondary character out of context, I'd probably look at you rather confused, though.

I recommend at least giving it a try; even if it doesn't really make sense at first, just keep going on anyway and after awhile it'll start to come together.

I also finished, thanks to reading the recent comics threads for ideas, the first three volumes of Mark Waid's Irredeemable (interesting, but wondering where it is going to go; it doesn't seem to have much of a structure yet) and the first volume of Dan Slott's She-Hulk, which was hilarious and very fun.

And I read ACD's The Hound of the Baskervilles after watching Sherlock (the 2010 series), since I had never read any Sherlock Holmes before and finished that last night.

I have held off reading The Way of Kings because it sounds like it is another of those fantasy books with an enormous cast and constantly swapping perspectives.

I enjoyed the Mistborn books in part because they followed a very small cast of characters.

The Way of Kings is really easy to follow. For the most part, there are only 3 perspectives, and there really isn't a very large cast. I usually have trouble remembering some characters with large casts, but I had none with The Way of Kings.

Ceebs

Sounds like a save it until I have nothing else to read day.

My problem with huge casts is not remembering characters, it's that those novels always cut away from a character I am really enjoying to one I don't really care about. I spend all my time slogging through to get back to the one I want to read about.

Those First Law books were like that. I loved them when the focus was on Ninefingers, and they felt like a slog when they shifted to the inquisitor.

Ceebs

Way of Kings is most definitely like that. I enjoyed the book, but there was too much stuff packed in that I wasn't all that excited about. "Woo, yeah! Bridge battles!" was often followed by "oh... we're back to whatshername talking to people" or "oh... another flashback chapter."

I'll still pick up the next one as soon as it comes out, of course. ;)

slut

Since we're nearing the end of the month - any interest in getting a book club book going for June?

Only read the first Mistborn book so far but it was great. I loved it. Definitely recommend it.

Started reading this b/c the hardcover was sitting on my desk at work for the longest time, but stopped reading it. Bad, bad, bad writing. I guess if you liked Ready Player One and Girl with the Dragon Tattoo and don't care about writing, plot, or character development, you'd like this.

Strange Flesh by Michael Olson

It just seems like a very gratuitous book and very juvenile male. Lots of sexual deviancy, objectification of women, lame acronyms for technology (imagine if all of technology was named by 11 year old boys), not a very original plot, and a kind of lame and boring virtual world. Am I selling it to you yet?

Ashes

Banned
Girl with a dragon tattoo could only ever be a bad translation. Though I suppose bad writing isn't all about grammar, etc.

Ashes

Banned
Finished that.. Now onto:

160px-Farneheit_451.jpg

Fahrenheit 451 is a 1953 dystopian novel by Ray Bradbury.

Finished that. Now onto

BraveNewWorld_FirstEdition.jpg

Wiki said:
Brave New World is a novel written in 1931 by Aldous Huxley and published in 1932. Set in London of AD 2540 (632 A.F. in the book), the novel anticipates developments in reproductive technology and sleep-learning that combine to change society. The future society is an embodiment of the ideals that form the basis of futurology.

Ashes

Banned
Enjoy it. Easily the best popular dystopian novel out there. It's quite perplexing to me that 1984 gets all the love.

It's been sitting on my shelf forever. And now I'm reading it on iPad. Strangely fitting.

It's part of my fifty to read this year list. I'm glad I got round to it.

@cyan: getting round to 1984 sometime this year. Yes, I'm cheating, but who cares really. ;p

Fiction aside, Orwell is the better writer in my opinion.

Now that I'm done with The Way of Kings, I'm going to take a break from Brandon Sanderson even though I want to read the Mistborn trilogy eventually.

What I want to read next:
200px-FrankHerbert_Dune_1st.jpg

Dune's been on the back of my mind since high school. However I read the first few pages and all the weird names are off-putting. Though it didn't help I tried to read it at 4 in the morning near the tail-end of my night shift. Does it get better as I read more of the book?

Girl with a dragon tattoo could only ever be a bad translation. Though I suppose bad writing isn't all about grammar, etc.

Oh yeah, I don't mean that Girl is high literature or anything, but at least it was entertaining to read. This was like Girl with the Dragon Tattoo with an even more lame narrator, and not that entertaining to read.

Woorloog

Banned
Reading this right now:
QfPeT.jpg

Chronicles of The Black Company by Glen Cook

Not sure i really like it... The writing is what TV Tropes calls Beige Prose, very minimalistic and, well, dry.
I love that it tells about mercenaries but the rest... So far i haven't found the characters, the setting, or whatever passes for plot in it to be very interesting.
Ah, well, i'll read some more and post impressions later on.

Is there any good scifi or fantasy about mercenaries, other than this?

I read Blockade Billy..it was pretty good. I loved the short story at the end of the book, Morality. I gave it a second read right after I finished it. Right now Im giving Carrie a read.

3Hrc7.jpg

Pepboy

TheWayOfKings.jpg

I need more. now.

I just finished Mistborn Trilogy, and while I enjoyed the characters, world/setting, and overarching plot, I was not a huge fan of the writing style. In particular the dialogue and the repetitive nature of the internal monologues. Therefore, I am worried that the Way of Kings will have similar issues without the awesome setting. Could someone give a 2 sentence spoiler-free description of the world?

On a related note, is Alloy of Law worth reading immediately, or should I wait for paperback/lower Kindle price?

Top Bottom