• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are you reading?

Manics

Banned
0345478983.01-A2R2RITDJNW1Q6._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-dp-500-arrow,TopRight,45,-64_AA240_SH20_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Just finished Cryptonomicon and A Yellow Raft on Blue Water. Definitely gonna check out more Neal Stephenson, Cryptonomicon was excellent.

Meier

Recently finished Eleanor Rigby by Douglas Coupland.. just started A Long Way Down by Nick Hornby. Will start Hey Nostradamus! by Coupland after that.

Prospero

I started War and Peace at the beginning of this month, and it's all I've been reading--I'm about a third of the way through. It has a reputation for being difficult, but I think that's in part unearned. It's not difficult, just long--but no longer than any of the multiple-volume fantasy epics like LOTR. (The edition I bought splits the novel into three separate hardcovers with a slipcase, which I'm convinced is the way it ought to be read).

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
just finished, the curious incident with the dog in the night time, very good, well written (written in the style of someone with Aspergers Syndrome).

Now, a wild sheep chase by Haruki Murakami, interesting and weird....

to go, cloud atlas and the life of Pi.

The last thing I read willingly was Daredevil: Yellow...But I'm also reading The Way of Duty by Joy Day Buel & Richard Buel Jr. for my History class in college. I'm on page 4 :lol

HooDoo

Meier said:
Recently finished Eleanor Rigby by Douglas Coupland.. just started A Long Way Down by Nick Hornby. Will start Hey Nostradamus! by Coupland after that.

Hey Nostradamus! is a fine book, much better than Eleanor Rigby imo. Actually Eleanor Rigby is Coupland's 'worst' book, sounds too familiar when you've read all his works and not too well written.

I've yet to read A long way down but I can hardly wait, I love Horny's style even when he's talking about soccer (I hate soccer) in Fever Pitch.

N Coward Parody said:
Just finished The Corrections by Jonathan Franzen and Jesus' Son by Denis Johnson. Both are sublime. Highly recommended...

Same here, highly recommended. Too bad Franzen's second book isn't as good as The Corrections. Loved Jesus' Son too, wonderful short stories.
You might enjoy Amy Hempel's "reasons to live" if you haven't read it yet. Listed on Palahniuk's Palahniuk-esque authors page along with Coupland, Hornby, Denis Johnson, Alex Garland and J.G. Ballard.

Mama Smurf

My penis is still intact.
I am indeed reading The Stand by Stephen King as I thought I might. It's great, though inevitably there's less tension as I know when scares are and aren't going to appear during the build ups.

After this I'm not sure. Might read something completely different, Pride And Prejudice or Emma or something like that off my mum's bookshelf.

After that the follwoing books are all released in quick succession:

October 1st

0385608675.02.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

October 11th

1841491632.02.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

October 17th

0002247437.02.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

I know the WoT has gone shit, and the last book was truly godawful, but I can't help myself! I need to know where the story's going, and I need to know now. I can't even wait for the paperback :(

It's the one thing where my mind just refuses to follow any sort of logic. Besides, I hear it's got some good reviews, maybe it's a return to form. I haven't read the reviews though, despise knowing anything about a book's story before going into it.

sans_pants

avec_pénis
Almost done:
0143034790.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Probably wont get to Guns, Germs and Steel till winter break.

And I read the Sun Also Rises about twice a year so I will probably read that as well.

sans_pants

avec_pénis
Error Macro said:
As I Lay Dying by William Faulkner.

Everyone always complains that Faulkner is some of the hardest stuff to read, next to impossible to comprehend, etc. Eh, I don't get any of that. I find it quite enjoyable, and when you get used to the multiple narrators, it's fairly easy to understand. Next up is The Sound And The Fury and Light In August (I bought a Faulkner three-pack).

The sound and the fury is hard to follow, especially the first part.

Biology: a guide to the natural world
Child Development
Western Civilization

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
college reading *woot*

Go ask Alice
The Bridge at Andau
Darwin Awards II

...and then of course a variety of magazines :)

I just purchased Many Ways to Nirvana by the Dalai Lama, so that. I'm also plodding through the latest Wheel of Time. I haven't even finished the prologue yet (which is getting more intimidating with each book) because school's kept me busy. People say that the book isn't good, which is sad because I thought Winter's Heart was the best one in a while and am interested in finding out where it's going to go with
the Daughter of the Nine Moons and a cleansed saidin.

Chony

I have to read:

In the Name of Idenity
Utopia
Waterlily
The Sparrow
The Dance of Legislation

I havent strated any of them. For fun I read Sport Compact Car and GAF.

Mama Smurf

Kurashima said:
I just purchased Many Ways to Nirvana by the Dalai Lama, so that. I'm also plodding through the latest Wheel of Time. I haven't even finished the prologue yet (which is getting more intimidating with each book) because school's kept me busy. People say that the book isn't good, which is sad because I thought Winter's Heart was the best one in a while and am interested in finding out where it's going to go with
the Daughter of the Nine Moons and a cleansed saidin.

Given that probably the main complaint about the book is how unfinished it felt (though there were others), you're in a good position with Knife of Dreams coming so soon. Sure, the book won't actually change, but you also won't finish and think "What, that's it? That's what I waited all this time for? And now I have to wait 2 years for the rest of the story that should have been in this one? Damn you Jordan!". You can practically read it as one.

sans_pants

avec_pénis
Chony said:
I have to read:

In the Name of Idenity
Utopia
Waterlily
The Sparrow
The Dance of Legislation

I havent strated any of them. For fun I read Sport Compact Car and GAF.

i have utopia, only read half but i always get bored with books at the halfway point

Mama Smurf

0385608675.02.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Asda were very naughty and released it at least 2 days early, to my shock as I walked past the book section. Might have to try them more often.

Oh and it's fine so far, quite interesting, but boy I wish Pratchett would write another Rincewind/the Wizards or Death book. I used to love the Watch books so much, but he won't leave the bloody things alone! I'd quite like a Witches book personally, I have a real softspot for them, but I realise that's kind of covered with the Tiffany Aching novels, so I won't complain.

None of that made any sense unless there are other Discworld readers here.

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
Previously:

0156030365.01._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-dp-500-arrow,TopRight,45,-64_AA240_SH20_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

KUNG-FU HIGH SCHOOL! Not particularly good, but with a concept like that, how could I resist? It's pretty graphic at times, but mostly consists of young adult-level writing. Eh.

Currently:

031610969X.01._AA240_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

This is great fun thus far. Gets slightly angsty at times, but I'll survive.

Boogie

What am I reading?

Well, it's October, so I must be reading:

British Intelligence in the Second World War
The Double-Cross System in the War of 1939 to 1945
Intelligence Investigations: How Ultra Changed History
A Century of Spies
A World of Nations
The Limits of Empire
Plus course readers for POL201, the politics of development, HIS343: the History of Modern Espionage, HIS281, the History of Modern Japan.

And that's just for starters.

The Longest Day by Cornelius Ryan. It's one of those books I'd been planning to read for years but just now got around to. Great, fairly thorough account of the D-Day invasion, and reads somewhat like a novel.

B.K.

I've been reading Also Sprach Zarathustra. I'd like to read The Instrumentality of Mankind again, but I don't have time.

kablooey

sefskillz said:

How does that book compare to American Gods? That's the only Gaiman book I've read, though I loved that. Will I like Anansi Boys? I've heard lots of good things about it from other Gaiman fans I know...

White Man

kablooey said:
How does that book compare to American Gods? That's the only Gaiman book I've read, though I loved that. Will I like Anansi Boys? I've heard lots of good things about it from other Gaiman fans I know...

He's speaking on campus this week. I think I'm going to see him. I'm going to dress all goth.

GG-Duo

Just finished reading Agatha Christie's The Murder of Roger Ackroyd for a Detective Fiction class... man, what a fucking awesome ending.

iapetus

Scary Euro Man
kablooey said:

I thought it was great, probably more so than American Gods. Some very odd stuff at the back of the book, though - basically it's like a DVD special edition, complete with deleted scene and bonus features. :)

I'm currently reading through K J Parker's Scavenger trilogy (Shadow, Pattern, Memory). Picked up Shadow in a sale a long time ago, and only just got round to picking up the other two.

Rei_Toei

Fclvat sbe Pnanqn, ru?
Jan Guillou's trilogy about a Swedish Templar Knight. Pretty good, recommended for those who like historical books. Could only find two of the three English covers.

0752848372.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg
0752846507.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
1585676772.01._AA240_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Good and quite interesting. The characters, nations, history, etc. is a bit to keep up with as for some reason his naming system doesn't resonate with me that great. Still loving it.

0143034790.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Just started this, too early to say much. Seems to have a larger interest in Europe than most political books here (US) in comparing it to our "Empire".

freud_cover.jpg

Just got this as well.

Scrow

Still Tagged Accordingly
so i finished Angels and Demons... my god did it just get totally stupid at the end. The Da Vinci Code was a much better book.

Not currently reading anything. Going through a GBA phase again. Fire Emblem rocks.

Minotauro

Finds Purchase on Dog Nutz
In all seriousness, Boogie, I would recommend that book if you're looking for something to read. It's pretty badly written but there are a lot of interesting behind-the-scenes details regarding the formation of the UFC.

Also, I picked up Eddie Bravo's book, Jiu-Jitsu Unleashed. I would highly recommend it. It focuses on no gi grappling and I firmly believe his techniques are going to revolutionize MMA.

Boogie

Minotauro said:
In all seriousness, Boogie, I would recommend that book if you're looking for something to read. It's pretty badly written but there are a lot of interesting behind-the-scenes details regarding the formation of the UFC.

Also, I picked up Eddie Bravo's book, Jiu-Jitsu Unleashed. I would highly recommend it. It focuses on no gi grappling and I firmly believe his techniques are going to revolutionize MMA.

Thanks, so noted. :)

Top Bottom