• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are your favorite pieces of functional female body armor?

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
The ninja thread got me thinking about how silly (and hell, downright dangerous) "sexy" female body armor is. What are your favorite bits of functional female body armor?

Bonus points for good examples from FFXIV because I want even more reasons to love that game.

Eggbok

ffxiii-2image---lightning-ffxiii-2png---ayakashi--ghost-guild--onmyouroku-qehxn1db.png

Absolutely love this!

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Dark Souls's brass set is great. Very feminine and graceful looking yet fully functional. Same with the Lord Blade set (though I'm not a big fan of that porcelain mask, the rest looks good though):
lords-blade-set-large.jpg

Best Demon's Souls armour:
1064045-miralda.jpg
bp-selen-vinland.jpg

Classics:
Agrias.jpg

FFTKnightFemale.png
SquireFemale.png

EBE

wait, so female chest armor really never had the boob accents? not even as a ceremonial/aesthetic choice in the same way male armor might have had pronounced pectoral muscles?

Patryn

ffxiii-2image---lightning-ffxiii-2png---ayakashi--ghost-guild--onmyouroku-qehxn1db.png

Absolutely love this!

How is this practical? Look at the amount of skin being shown off. Does she really need her upper thighs exposed? Not to mention her arms?

For true practical, I love the look of Mass Effect's armor, although it does suffer the "boob shaped" problem pointed out above.

TalonJH

wait, so female chest armor really never the boob accents? not even as a ceremonial/aesthetic choice in the same way male armor might have had pronounced pectoral muscles?

It's a little different when the armor wraps around each breast separately so it looks like someone gave them armor, forgot that a woman has boobs and cut out two holes and covered them.

killatopak

Gold Member
This one.
lord_knight.png

from RO. Spent many years on this game pimping out my character.

And this one.
dota-x-traxex-95899.jpg

Not my most used character in DotA but one of the most prominently used one.

Valkyriesc3.jpg

This was so dope in VC2.

wait, so female chest armor really never had the boob accents? not even as a ceremonial/aesthetic choice in the same way male armor might have had pronounced pectoral muscles?

I'm pretty sure having the armor conform to the breasts would be more of a flaw in the design than it's worth.

Also what army used pronounced pectoral muscles in their armor design?

Edit-Also that Lightning design makes no sense to me. She's wearing just enough metal to probably slow her down quite a bit while at the same time not being protected at all. Great. I love FF character designs.

Their first version isn't horrible.

I know. I think it's pretty cool that they just decided to do this themselves even though there wasn't any massive pressure on them to change it.

Well obviously it might have been used ceremonially, but honestly it was more likely to have just been normal style armor. Boob accents are a horrible idea for actual functional armor, plus they'd just be really inconvenient to the woman wearing them. I mean seriously, what are you supposed to do, socket each one of your boobs into the accent when you put on the armor? Not if you're wearing mail underneath you aren't! A normal chest plate would be far more useful and comfortable, and unless the woman the armor was being made for was incredibly busty there wouldn't even need to be much of a difference in the chest plate from a male chestplate.

Patryn

Ok, obviously some people's ideas of functional armor and my idea are way different. When I think functional, I think armor that could actually protect someone in combat, and thus would be covering the vast majority of the body. Not stuff that leaves exposed arms, thighs and necks.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!

While its just a single small example dragons dogma had some pretty cool functional looking female armor too. Considering the weapon Mercedes used it makes sense that she has lighter armor like this in order to keep herself agile.

EBE

I'm pretty sure having the armor conform to the breasts would be more of a flaw in the design than it's worth.

Also what army used pronounced pectoral muscles in their armor design?

Edit-Also that Lightning design makes no sense to me. She's wearing just enough metal to probably slow her down quite a bit while at the same time not being protected at all. Great. I love FF character designs.

didnt the greeks?

mass produced for the average infantryman or not, they had that motif going on.

Well obviously it might have been used ceremonially, but honestly it was more likely to have just been normal style armor. Boob accents are a horrible idea for actual functional armor, plus they'd just be really inconvenient to the woman wearing them. I mean seriously, what are you supposed to do, socket each one of your boobs into the accent when you put on the armor? Not if you're wearing mail underneath you aren't! A normal chest plate would be far more useful and comfortable, and unless the woman the armor was being made for was incredibly busty there wouldn't even need to be much of a difference in the chest plate from a male chestplate.

well i never thought theyd be socketing the boobs in one at a time. lol. i just thought theyd be there as dressing. the armor would be worn the same as the male armor, just with the boobie bits sticking out a bit more.

Top Bottom