• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are your favorite pieces of functional female body armor?

SW2_Ginchiyo_Tachibana.jpg
Historically accurate to feudal japan of course.

I'd say Halo reach and 4. The female armors look practically the same as the male ones.
They certainly are more fitting on the posteriors on the females that's for sure.

Also Dragon's Dogma is not such a good example. Compare the "silver breastplate" piece for males vs females (keep in mind it's the same armour, it actually changes appearance depending on the sex of the character you equip it on!):
tumblr_mombrhMbru1r34y4ho1_400.png

The Silver Breastplate goes in the Clothing slot, and is worn under Armor.

Of course, most female pawns decline to wear anything over it, same goes for the Silk Lingere. :D

Practical female armour is really good but I'm too much in love with Satoshi Urushihara's designs to ignore sexy armour. (Langrisser and Growlanser fame, these pics are from the former)

imelda.jpg
2281106-47861.jpg

The artist who is famous for Legend of Lemnear is way too much into fan service to put a female in full body armour which is a shame because the male armour's look great.

If you added these 2 armour sets together then you would have a full set though lol (they are more fitting to the OP but they are way too large to post)

http://www.legendra.com/media/artworks/sat/langrisser_iii/langrisser_iii_art_6.jpg
http://www.legendra.com/media/artworks/sat/langrisser_iii/langrisser_iii_art_7.jpg

Langrisser.47870.jpg

http://static.giantbomb.com/uploads/scale_small/9/90334/2281101-langrisser.47889.jpg
http://static.giantbomb.com/uploads/scale_small/12/125800/1838265-redin.jpg

Mesoian

ITT: Fashion armor.

I was always a big fan of Uriel

But this is pretty moot as the best functional female armor would be exactly the same as male body armor. There was a pretty interesting piece that someone brought up the last time we had this conversation about how a chestplate that was rounded to encompass the bust of a woman would end up caving in her chest on a solid blow due to the curving process in metal.

It's all fantasy armor, and functional armor isn't very sexy for most people. So...you know, boob armor.

I bet you love Arma.

The unfortunate thing is that games are not designed exclusively to mirror reality -- doing so essentially takes the game part of it away. Character designs are not made perfectly to life or death situations; otherwise all characters would look boring and uninspired, pretty hard to attract sales with boring looking characters. "Functional" to most people means something that isn't immediately just completely retarded, ie, the chainmail bikini.

Yeah, I know. :p

All I ask is 1 medieval mil-sim and I'll be happy. Chivalry jumped the shark big time.

Also, not all realistic armor was boring. The Chinese had some lovely armor.

But yeah, all super realistic armor all the time would be boring. I love looking at all the cool armor people think up and create. I just with more of it was practical (not necessarily realistic, just semi-practical).

Patryn

1)not all armors are full body armors, look at this greek armor for example

2)obviously Wang Yi is sexualized but overall the armor is good imo
3)this

is not sexy but is completely stupid imo.
You notice how his armor goes all the way to his neck? You notice how your examples both have exposed cleavage and chest? Not practical.

But this is pretty moot as the best functional female armor would be exactly the same as male body armor. There was a pretty interesting piece that someone brought up the last time we had this conversation about how a chestplate that was rounded to encompass the bust of a woman would end up caving in her chest on a solid blow due to the curving process in metal.

It's all fantasy armor, and functional armor isn't very sexy for most people. So...you know, boob armor.

Like 99% of the depictions on Joan of Arc who is always wearing a std breast plate
11_Messenger_Joan_Arc_04.jpg

Interestingly enough she is often depicted as wearing a skirt, but that is too dowdy nowadays so artists go for the boobs instead. EDIT I wonder when this painting was made? My guess is during the Victorian era when corsets were fashionable to create the hour glass form.
Ingres---Joan-of-Arc.jpg

Fire emblem 7-10 had some of the best armor designs. Practical-looking and form-fitting, while being stylized just enough to look appeal to the anime crowd.

Also that's not Nephenee

nephenee_en.png

eh Nephenee is the only armor-wearing girl in FE10 that doesn't have "practical" armor (still better than most though)
the rest do though (Fiona, Jill, Marcia, Meg (LOL), Sigrun, Titania, Tanith)

Lautaro

I actually prefer mildly-sexy armors (I like eye-candy and I won't deny it) but maybe this one counts:

mira3c.jpg

because is not "female armor", is just regular armor with boobs inside.

eh Nephenee is the only armor-wearing girl in FE10 that doesn't have "practical" armor (still better than most though)
the rest do though (Fiona, Jill, Marcia, Meg (LOL), Sigrun, Titania, Tanith)

The skirt and the general emphasis on leather or plating make perfect sense given that she's a foot soldier. Anything heavier would weigh her down. She could do with a more protective set of leggings though.

The skirt and the general emphasis on leather or plating make perfect sense given that she's a foot soldier. Anything heavier would weigh her down. She could do with a more protective set of leggings though.

....wait a minute Nephenee's the only foot soldier that's not a general lol
no thanks I like the leggings as they are

There's also Devdan, but who in their right mind would use him over Nephenee?

female foot soldier
the rest are mages, laguz, or swordmasters

Jodie's outfit during the military section of Beyond seemed fairly functional for the purpose of the mission (stealth/no direct engagement) :

itvduiayvsohqm4j5o.png

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lIwFTU7zAbg#t=1m43s

This video explains it well, why boob armour just can't work in reality. In normal clothes or actual military wear, you can compress the breasts for a wider range of motion but if it becomes rigid like steel breastplate armour, then you're severely limited. You'd have to work one-handed, and only move the weapons laterally away from the body.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
OoE_Shanoa.jpg

While it's not a full armor suit, I always liked the distribution of shanoa's armor plates over her robes.

She has a bareback dress though but it's functional since she has a huge glyph on her back for big summons and attacks. Same reason as to why her arms aren't covered at the top.

Drac84

Functional

Jane Shepard Hahne-Kedar Armor Set:

Femshep1.jpg

Hawke, Dragon Age II:

DragonAge2Demo+2011-02-23+17-35-12-37.jpg

and much easier to find, Impractical armour:

These SC5 gals have the upper arms and shins protected up the ying yang, but little else.

Sophita:

sopsc4art1-jpg.4252

Ivy:

Soul-Calibur-IV-Game-Character-Official-Artwork-Render-Ivy-2.jpg

Taki

SoulCalibur-IV-Taki-taki-19918620-1600-1600.jpg

And Frea from FF IX lol

963600-bigthumbnail.jpg

Looks like I derped about modern artists not using armoured skirts (although it might still be the case with western artists). That said rather than being a skirt plate like in my Joan of Arc pic it's 2 side plates that has been used for years by Japanese artists.

EDIT, Tagu from Valdis Story is a female, however it doesn't truly count as it's just her soul placed into living armour.

tagu_test.jpg

Top Bottom