• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are your favorite weapons in anime/manga?

Status
Not open for further replies.

phaze

I really like this animation for some reason.
Is the anime worth watching?

Oh God, YES!
How could I forget
It most certainly is. But if you're going to be watching it on Crunchyroll start with episode 1 and not 0.the gif is from the latter but that ep will spoil the first 6-7 episodes if you watch it first.

Blackage

tumblr_mv74k76qKy1rl3tlpo2_500.gif

Best weapon is clearly from Kill La Kill! It counts as weapon I think. :p

Althane

I never understood how a spear from a Roman soldier in the Bible turned into a giant spear that could only be held by a giant robot.

It's just the name for the spear, there's no actual relation.

The Spears are superweapons created by an alien race, the same ones responsible for both the Angels and Humanity. Planets were supposed to be given the "Fruit of Life" (Angels) or the "Fruit of Knowledge" (Humans). Earth got two due to an accident. The Spears were supposed to activate and destroy one of the Fruits, so that a Planet wouldn't be able to have both the "Fruit of Life" and "Fruit of Knowledge", lest they become gods (biblical references, and all that). Well, one of the Fruit's spears got destroyed (Lilith, the "Fruit of Knowledge"), so Adam's ("Fruit of Life") spear activated. Messing with Adam caused the 2nd impact, which started the Angels showing up, resulting in the whole NGE series.

So, yeah, they're actually pretty awesome weapons.

It most certainly is. But if you're going to be watching it on Crunchyroll start with episode 1 and not 0.the gif is from the latter but that ep will spoil the first 6-7 episodes if you watch it first.
Noted. I'll give it a try, thanks!

Hei's dagger from Darker Than Black.

rb0iDE2.jpg

Img2UmW.gif

Simple but effective, especially when you can channel electricity through it.
I was waiting for someone to mention this!

Wynnebeck

Banned
Is it too hard to post the names of the animes that the weapons are from?

Not wanting to sound snarky, but every one of these pictures reference a commonly seen mainstream anime. I apologize if you don't know what these anime are, but I expect a thread speaking about your favorite anime/manga weapon would expect the people discussing wherein having a general knowledge of anime. In any case the people you quoted out of irritation are:

1. Fooly Cooly
2. Tenga Toppa Gurren Lagann
3. Neon Genesis Evangelion
4. Fist of the North Star
5. Bleach
6. Railgun

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan
No lightsabers?

Whoops anime or manga. Sorry

Well, Clamp did make Star Wars manga, so it count :p

My personal favorite
1. Drill (TTGL)
2. Dragonslayer (Berserk)
3. Gravitational Beam Emitter (Blame!)
4.Cutlass/modified Berreta m92f (Black Lagoon)
5. Kanshou and Bakuya (Fate stay night)

Repost from a thread we had a few months ago, but:

PvtBYT0.gif
FyvpL4s.gif

Zaphkiel from Date A Live. XII out of X timehacking Angelic magnificence, and not just because Kurumi uses it.

KDR_11k

Pile bunkers look awesome even though the physics behind them make absolutely zero sense (replace the pile with a slug or buckshot for equal power).

They're those extending spike things that eject an empty shell after extending. Commonly seen on lower-tech mechs without access to energy blades. Some of those mechs just push their fist forward instead of using a metal spike (e.g. VOTOMS Scope Dog).

Armored Core 5 tried to justify them by claiming they launch a large HEAT warhead but that would turn them into RPGs, not melee weapons.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
rurouni_kenshin_reverse_blade_katana.jpg

Kenshin's reverse blade katana from Rurouni Kenshin.

Where most anime weapons are about personalizing power and showing how strong said character is, Kenshin's weapon is about restricting his power. Despite this, it's a central part of his character, and an instantly recognizable piece of his characterization. I pick this as my favorite because it has a meaning that goes deeper than simply presenting its user's power.

Although Kubera technically anime or manga, I'm going to include it to pimp out one of my favorite, overlooked series.

My favorite weapons are the Sword of Re and the Golden Knight from Kubera. Both are god level items with awesome abilities. The Sword of Re stops any supernatural regeneration of your enemies, it comes to your hand when you call, and it can summon meteors. The Golden Knight can reflect your opponents attacks, cause earthquakes, cut through objects, push enemies away, and revive you when you're killed. Both are awesome.

Is it too hard to post the names of the animes that the weapons are from?

Sorry my man. Bankai is not really a weapon, but in Bleach every fighting character can unlock this super sayan state for their swords and many of them are creative and amazing.

Look man. Bleach was so fucking cool I dont understand what the hell happened. Like I literally dont get it.

Where most anime weapons are about personalizing power and showing how strong said character is, Kenshin's weapon is about restricting his power. Despite this, it's a central part of his character, and an instantly recognizable piece of his characterization. I pick this as my favorite because it has a meaning that goes deeper than simply presenting its user's power.

Came here to post this.

The series was run by rule of cool, without much substance.

In a way this was both the reason I loved it and hated it.

Up until Episode 80 or something (conclusion of soul society arc) its fantastic. Its not just the great animation, creative take on shinigami or the enticing after-death universe and spirit world.

Its also just how the show held things back. By shonen standards it was really great. many characters had their bankai abilities secret or not shown until the perfect time. and all the captains where different and interesting along with their officers.

How can a creator create something so cool and then loose so bad track of it? by chance? fate?

This one for me.

SkyOdin

First thing that comes to mind for me is Gorun Nova, aka The Sword of Light, from Slayers. A magic sword that produces a blade of energy that can destroy even creatures without physical bodies. It can even absorb and amplify magic. The fact that Gourrey just pulled it out of nowhere to casually crush a demon that everyone else was freaking out about was hilarious, particularly when it went on become the biggest plot McGuffin in the series.

First thing that comes to mind for me is Gorun Nova, aka The Sword of Light, from Slayers. A magic sword that produces a blade of energy that can destroy even creatures without physical bodies. It can even absorb and amplify magic. The fact that Gourrey just pulled it out of nowhere to casually crush a demon that everyone else was freaking out about was hilarious, particularly when it went on become the biggest plot McGuffin in the series.

The rest of the weapons were hyped a lot by the show on season 3 and at the end they didn't live up to the sword (Or so i remember, haven watched it in a long time) Gourrey stays winning.

edit: It also has the best starship version of itself on the other show that is Slayers in space that I do not remember the name.

Mista Koo

Up until Episode 80 or something (conclusion of soul society arc) its fantastic. Its not just the great animation, creative take on shinigami or the enticing after-death universe and spirit world.

Its also just how the show held things back. By shonen standards it was really great. many characters had their bankai abilities secret or not shown until the perfect time. and all the captains where different and interesting along with their officers.

How can a creator create something so cool and then loose so bad track of it? by chance? fate?
I actually liked parts of the Arrancar arc, some of the Arrancar designs and powers are my favorites.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom