• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are Your Top 3 Sitcoms of the 1990s?

German Hops

GAF's Nicest Lunch Thief
Here's a simple question, what are your top three favorite TV sitcoms from the 1990's? Now the show didn't have to end during the 90's, it just has to either been started during the 90's or its peak popularity was during the 90's.

1 - Seinfeld - Nothing like it before or since; an off-the-map model of TV that can't be duplicated (except by Larry David). More quotable lines than maybe any other show.

2 - Frasier - Some of the best writing ever. Re-watched some old clips and it's actually even funnier.

3 - The John Larroquette Show - Ahead of its time. If you remove the laugh track and put it on a cable network it would thrive today, but some of the subject matter was a little too edgy for 90s primetime.

I never got into Friends. I just didn't find it funny. Married with Children was pretty funny, but I have to be in the mood.
Then of course Full House was a staple at the time. I also used to be into Step by Step and Boy Meets World a little bit.

Only Fools and Horses

Spaced

Father Ted

British comedies of the time pissed on the US ones from a great height.

The aforementioned Bottom being a great example of the variety and sheer anarchic creative freedom we used to have over here, even if it is a love it or hate it, absurdly silly, cartoonistic, puerile, slapstick, niche dark comedy.

Culminating with The League of Gentlemen in 1999, it was probably the most diverse and experimental era for comedy anywhere in the world. Then everyone slowly became po-faced, neo-puritans and the spectre of political correctness ruined it all.

EDIT: Forgot Red Dwarf like a total cunt:

Last edited:
Mannn there is a lot to choose from I might include some honorable mentions lol these are my personal faves lol don't attack me hahah.

1. Friends
2.Seinfield
3. Fresh Prince

*Mr Bean
* Full House
* Save by the bell

Soodanim

You have the gall to trash Seinfeld, one of the greatest and most influential sitcoms of all time, and come back with shit like this?

OP - Frasier is really good, Everybody Loves Raymond had some gems and benefited from a fantastic supporting cast
You’re absolutely right. Bottom is shouty nonsense and should not be an example of good British comedy. I find it about as funny as that clip of Jerry Stiller outtakes in Seinfeld that the internet seems to find the peak of hilarity.
  1. Only Fools and Horses
  2. The Royle Family
  3. Mr Bean
  4. (Honourable mentions) Desmond’s, Gimme Gimme Gimme
American? Outside of Friends, which I’m not as hot on as the rest of the world although it’s definitely watchable, the shows I watched were (mostly) whatever was on a UK channel called Trouble.
  1. Fresh Prince (obviously)
  2. Frasier
  3. Martin
  4. Two Guys, A Girl, and A Pizza Place
  5. Malcolm & Eddie
  6. Moesha
  7. Smart Guy
  8. The Steve Harvey Show
  9. The Wayans Bros
4-9 are honourable mentions, and let’s throw in Kenan & Kel and Sister Sister from the Nickelodeon days for good measure.

Last edited:
1. Seinfeld.
2. The Simpsons
3. Frasier

Such safe picks, but all undeniably great shows.
Married with children and Just Shoot Me were also really good. The Robert character made Everybody Loves Raymond pretty solid too.

borborygmus

1. Frasier
2. 3rd Rock from the Sun (I confess I hadn't thought about it until someone mentioned it in this thread)
3. Seinfeld

Last edited:

eddie4

Genuinely Generous
1. Mr.Bean
2. Fresh Prince
3. Seinfeld

honorable mentions
* Fawlty Towers
* Keeping Up Appearances
* Married with Children

Friends and Frasier were shit.

missiles

There is only one:

515NTGFVZCL._AC_SY445_.jpg

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
Here's a simple question, what are your top three favorite TV sitcoms from the 1990's? Now the show didn't have to end during the 90's, it just has to either been started during the 90's or its peak popularity was during the 90's.

1 - Seinfeld - Nothing like it before or since; an off-the-map model of TV that can't be duplicated (except by Larry David). More quotable lines than maybe any other show.

2 - Frasier - Some of the best writing ever. Re-watched some old clips and it's actually even funnier.

3 - The John Larroquette Show - Ahead of its time. If you remove the laugh track and put it on a cable network it would thrive today, but some of the subject matter was a little too edgy for 90s primetime.

I never got into Friends. I just didn't find it funny. Married with Children was pretty funny, but I have to be in the mood.
Then of course Full House was a staple at the time. I also used to be into Step by Step and Boy Meets World a little bit.

Most of my favorite sitcoms are 70's but I'll try to make an effort to think of which ones I watched in the 90's.

1. The Fresh Prince of Bel Air - Probably one of the few things I enjoy with Will Smith and thought the comedy writing was amazing for the 90's. It would be super woke to try to make it today.

2. The Simpsons - Albeit not live-action; it's always been considered a sitcom. I stuck with them until the end of season 8.

3. Frasier - With the original staff (including the one who died in 9/11) - it was excellent. I felt that it didn't adapt as well into the 2000's and became this soap opera with Niles and Daphne. R.I.P. John Mahoney.

Regrettable, I have never watched an episode of Seinfeld as I was steering away from super mainstream things in the 90's and felt it was a lot of hype. I feel that if I went back and watched it today; I'd probably enjoy it. On the other hand, seems like to watch all Seinfeld from the beginning would be a big time investment of which I don't have.

lock2k

Banned
Most of my favorite sitcoms are 70's but I'll try to make an effort to think of which ones I watched in the 90's.

1. The Fresh Prince of Bel Air - Probably one of the few things I enjoy with Will Smith and thought the comedy writing was amazing for the 90's. It would be super woke to try to make it today.

2. The Simpsons - Albeit not live-action; it's always been considered a sitcom. I stuck with them until the end of season 8.

3. Frasier - With the original staff (including the one who died in 9/11) - it was excellent. I felt that it didn't adapt as well into the 2000's and became this soap opera with Niles and Daphne. R.I.P. John Mahoney.

Regrettable, I have never watched an episode of Seinfeld as I was steering away from super mainstream things in the 90's and felt it was a lot of hype. I feel that if I went back and watched it today; I'd probably enjoy it. On the other hand, seems like to watch all Seinfeld from the beginning would be a big time investment of which I don't have.

Try to watch a couple. The episodes are so fast you could probably watch a lot of them in little time.

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
1. Frasier - Barely makes the number one spot because there really hasn't been anything like it since
2. Seinfeld - the template on which Curb and Always Sunny were built
3. Mr. Bean if we're counting it as a sitcom when really it's a show about a walking natural disaster

edit: Drew Carey Show is something that I wish I could remember better but it has been nuked off the face of the Earth and there's no easy way to watch any of it

Last edited:

Amory

Seinfeld
King of Queens (mostly a 00s sitcom but it started in the 90s so I'm counting it)
Everybody Loves Raymond

Super Mario

Banned
1.) Seinfeld - Just the best. Off the wall humor that no one thought of, yet you felt dumb for not thinking of it yourself. Some of the best characters of any TV show. Sure you have Jerry, George, Kramer, and Elaine (with George and Kramer being absolutely god-tier), but it doesn't stop there. Newman, George's parents, Puddy, Banya, Soup Nazi, and the list goes on and on.

2.) Simpsons - Classic, and iconic. Always good for a laugh, even when it stumbled. It's hard to go on as long as they have and still be relevant. Most shows are lucky to last 1/3 of the time before they completely die.

3.) Married with Children - At least to my recollection, there wasn't much out there like it at the time. Very funny. Many guy's could relate to it. Christina Applegate also didn't hurt either.

I will admit, I never really gave Frasier a chance. I think I may have to

mango drank

This is tough. The 90s were the golden age of sitcoms. I can't pick just 3:

1. Seinfeld (the GOAT)
2. Frasier
3. The Simpsons (the first golden age: seasons 4-6; and the second golden age: seasons 12-14)
4. Everybody Loves Raymond
5. Friends (seasons ~3-6)
6. Married With Children (seasons ~2-5 are cartoonish gold, the rest are meh)
7. Roseanne
8. Fresh Prince
9. 3rd Rock From the Sun

(there's a ton more I needed to cut)

Last edited:

Arkam

Live action Sitcoms

1. Seinfeld
2. News Radio (The Phil Hartman years only)
3. Coach

Honorable Mentions
Frasier
Married with Children
Wings

aclar00

Hard to choose 3, but in no particular order:

Family Matters
Fresh Prince
The Parent Hood

Got into Martin moreso in my teens

Edit, also Married with Children

Last edited:

Mossybrew

The only sitcoms I watched regularly were Seinfeld and Friends. Pretty much everything else was in that zone where you'd catch random episodes here and there when nothing else was on.

cryptoadam

Banned
Seinfeld
Simpsons
South Park

Not sure if Curb catches the 90s or if that was early 2000's.

I am sure there are a shit ton of shows I am forgetting that might crack the list but it would be tough to beat any of those 3.

Tschumi

1. Frasier
2. Twin Peaks
3. Dalziel and Pascoe

I love Seinfeld, to me it just doesn't qualify for this because it's become a bodily function at this point.

2. Fawlty Towers

Fawlty Towers? Have i got news for you~

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom