• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are Your Top 3 Sitcoms of the 1990s?

1) Seinfeld - the GOAT show. I bought the complete series near the start of lockdown and rewatched it. It holds up unbelievably well. Larry David is a genius.

2) The Simpsons - in its prime it was such a huge influence on pop culture. The amount of jokes they cram into each episode and how many of them land is staggering.

3) News Radio - I always wonder how many great episodes were ahead of us if it weren't for Phil's death. The cast were great and the writing was just incredible. I remember hearing that the cast of Friends were insanely jealous of the writing crew on News Radio and wanted them for their show.

Honourable mentions

Frasier
Married With Children
3rd Rock

Dark Star

Top 3 :
Seinfeld
The Simpsons
Mr. Bean

Also good :
Friends
Fresh Prince of Bel-Air

Honorable mentions that are kind of underrated :
Everybody Loves Raymond
Home Improvement

What I now need to watch in it's entirety and not just random episodes after clicking on this thread lol :
Frasier

Last edited:

TriSuit666

Banned
You have the gall to trash Seinfeld, one of the greatest and most influential sitcoms of all time, and come back with shit like this?

OP - Frasier is really good, Everybody Loves Raymond had some gems and benefited from a fantastic supporting cast

Oh, fuck off. One of the greatest comedy pairings for the UK scene. Bottom is a peusdo follow-up to The Young Ones, which I wouldn't recommend you watch either if you're a snowflake.

Yankland

1. The Simpsons
2. Cheers (Yes, it did. And Seinfeld owes everything to it)
3. Married With Children

Superior British Humour

1. The League of Gentlemen (started in 1999, so oop yours)
2. Alan Partridge
3. Absolutely Fabulous

Tuff McNutt

1. Frasier - Barely makes the number one spot because there really hasn't been anything like it since
2. Seinfeld - the template on which Curb and Always Sunny were built
3. Mr. Bean if we're counting it as a sitcom when really it's a show about a walking natural disaster

edit: Drew Carey Show is something that I wish I could remember better but it has been nuked off the face of the Earth and there's no easy way to watch any of it

It's because of the music. I think even the theme song (Cleveland Rocks) can't be used due to copyright/royalties.

My top 3:

Married With Children
Seinfeld
News Radio

DrJohnGalt

Banned
Frasier, Friends, and 3rd Rock from the Sun (all of which I try to binge every year or two, or when I'm feeling a bit down).

In the 90s I used to LOVE Married with Children. I have the series on DVD but haven't been back to it yet. Just doesn't have the same feel-good vibe the others do. It's funny, but it's a different kind of funny. More edgy, maybe. More blue collar. I think it's a bit depressing that my life has pretty much become Al Bundy's, minus the hot wife and kids. This is the only show on my list that I actually watched while it aired; the others I've watched later.

As an aside, I think Frasier's apartment is probably the top place from a TV show I'd love to live in.

Just between us, I've never seen much Seinfeld. Sure I've seen the episodes and have picked up a lot of the cultural references over the years, but I've probably only seen one in ten. I'd love to binge the series sometime.

Labolas

Seinfeld
Frasier
Cheers (only saved because Lilith was so fucking hot in that show)

Others I would recommend:
Everybody Loves Raymond
Fresh Prince
Married With Children

Going to stay safe here:
1: The Simpsons (Mainly for Seasons 1-10)
2: Seinfeld
3: Friends
4: (just in case Simpsons is not allowed) The Fresh Prince of Bel Air

Barrage

Not counting the Simpsons...

1.Seinfeld
2.The Larry Sanders Show
3. Mad About You

If this was a Top 10 i'd also show love to underrated gems like Wayans Bros. Show, Just Shoot Me, Living Single, Smart Guy, Will And Grace, Golden Girls (tail end), and Unhappily Ever After. Ahh well, guess I just did.

Barrage

Real interesting list. I don't think I've ever met anyone who was a big fan of Becker or The Nanny before

My wife absolutely loves The Nanny, and I can admit its very rewatchable. It has something in common with Roseanne, in that the last season the quality takes an absolute nose-dive due to poor plot decisions that leave it pretty unwatchable.

mickaus

Real interesting list. I don't think I've ever met anyone who was a big fan of Becker or The Nanny before
I enjoyed watching it when I was younger and then later on in reruns on cable. Comparing it to modern sitcoms made me appreciate it more with somewhat normal characters and amusing character interactions. If it were to come out now the Nanny would probably have slept with Mr Sheffield to get the job, the kids would have been taking drugs and CC would probably be bi or something.
It is a simple show but I appreciate its humour and the added Jewish cultural references to make it more unique.

Kokoro2020

Saved by the Bell
Home Improvement
Perfect Strangers (actually, this was just ending in the 90's, but I'll still put it here anyway. Underrated show.)

Kenan & Kel gets an honorable mention. That's still the best sitcom Nickelodeon had. I also used to watch Married With Children a lot, but over time, I became more annoyed with the live audience, and it largely turns me away from the show. It's so intrusive.

I never seen some of the really popular ones, like Seinfeld and Friends, much.

Last edited:

thefool

The only one I rewatch is Seinfeld, so that one. I also have to rewatch a lot of friends but for different reasons.

Last edited:

TheMan

Now that I think about it I pretty much watched cartoons and sitcoms as a kid so it’s hard to pick.

boy meets world
Full house
I really like hanging with mr cooper for a while there
Charles in charge

stn

Seinfeld
Frasier
Married... With Children
Simpsons

All brilliant, though Simpsons fell off hard in the later years.

MacReady13

1. Seinfeld. Nothing in any era comes close to Seinfeld. Simply the greatest sitcom of all time.
2. The Simpsons (after the 90's The Simpsons was pretty poor for the most part, but the 90's it was basically untouchable).
3. Married With Children. Al Bundy is probably the funniest character! Almost a more vulgar Homer Simpson and far less politically correct character as well!

Quasicat

1. Seinfeld
2. Spin City
3. Herman’s Head (I wish Disney realized that they owned this and would drop it on Hulu)

Top Bottom