• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What companies can you see getting into gaming?

Xplainin

Banned
Gaming is becoming big buisness, rivaling TV and Movies to some extent.
There is little doubt that other big fish will want to expand into this market.

We have Google already showing their intentions, and lots of talk about Amazon working towards a game streaming service as well.
What other companies could you see also moving into the market?
Doesnt need to have a hardware component to it, it could just be software development or publishing.

I could see Apple trying to get back into the game, while Disney might decide to not only licence their IPs out, but develop or publish them themselves.

Who knows, maybe Netflix could even look at it down the track.

What other names do people think we should look out for?

I think Netflix is highly likely since they are already doing those 'choose your own adventure' shows. Not sure if they did well in the past, but Netflix needs a new angle as more and more companies edge in on their streaming territory.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Samsung could really do well in this Industry and have the chops to have a diverse line of games.

I can bet that they would make a great MMO but I wouldn't mind seeing them try other stuff that the Japanese wouldn't even think of.

BootsLoader

Banned
Google tried hard, I don't know if they will remain. I see that Apple is testing the waters too with Apple Arcade, they may transform Apple TV into a console hybrid (they already try this). As for amazon, their game is a complete disaster in my opinion. They try to make it feature rich and add a lot of systems, I watched the trailer and....oh my God they need to change half of the game.

Xplainin

Banned
Google tried hard, I don't know if they will remain. I see that Apple is testing the waters too with Apple Arcade, they may transform Apple TV into a console hybrid (they already try this). As for amazon, their game is a complete disaster in my opinion. They try to make it feature rich and add a lot of systems, I watched the trailer and....oh my God they need to change half of the game.
Amazon and Google are getting into gaming for sure.
Even if Amazon don't roll out their streaming platform, developing and publishing games is still well within their market.
For Amazon to pull the money out and buy EA or Activision is nothing to them.
Then once they have a stable of game IPs and studios, they would be in a stronger position to roll out their streaming service.
That was the mistake Google made. They didn't have any content. There is no point having a streaming service that plays the same games as you can get in your PC, PlayStation or Xbox.
I expect to see both Google and Amazon go on a buying spree of publishers and studios.
They can still make money from developing and publishing games.
I think they both will.

Holammer

I could imagine Google, Apple and Amazon making moves, technically Google already entered the fray with Stadia and it's not impossible they'll sell a Stadia console straight to customers once streaming flops. If they made serious efforts, I'd expect them to try to team up with existing actors in the field. I do get mouth vomit just thinking about it, but Apple having a collaboration with Nintendo for example could give Apple a super highway to the industry and solve Nintendo's problems with anemic hardware.
Nintendo is too focused on owning the entire eco-system themselves for that to happen, but it's a hypothetical. Hiroshi Yamauchi's ghost would haunt them if they did.

BootsLoader

Banned
Amazon and Google are getting into gaming for sure.
Even if Amazon don't roll out their streaming platform, developing and publishing games is still well within their market.
For Amazon to pull the money out and buy EA or Activision is nothing to them.
Then once they have a stable of game IPs and studios, they would be in a stronger position to roll out their streaming service.
That was the mistake Google made. They didn't have any content. There is no point having a streaming service that plays the same games as you can get in your PC, PlayStation or Xbox.
I expect to see both Google and Amazon go on a buying spree of publishers and studios.
They can still make money from developing and publishing games.
I think they both will.

I hope both of them will make money, it’s better for us.
I don’t think that its so easy to buy companies like EA and/or Activision. Even if they buy those companies, again it will be hard to compete. They need more experience. Most of the devs will leave if they will not see any potential in the projects.

I am sorry if what I write now does not make sense, I had a great night and I’m drunk. Thank you.

Full stop, watch out for Apple in this space. They’ve laid the groundwork for studios to be able to publish their games on iPhones, iPads, Apple TVs, and Macs all at once (Mac’s being included once they release their first one with an ARM SoC). This year at WWDC they made a lot of advances that will help studios develop gaming experiences across their range:

1.) Expanded PS4 and Xbox controller support across the entire product line. It goes so far as to include compatibility for Xbox paddles and Dualshock 4’s light bar.
2.) Universal apps running across all of their ARM platforms. You can get a game running with almost no additional effort if you support Metal.
3.) Metal has been opened up on Windows so developers don’t have to buy a Mac to make games for the Mac.
4.) Gaming specific keyboard and mouse support for iPads.
5.) Game Center has been revitalized and improved with more features. Supports multiplayer pairing, challenges, achievement tracking, and leaderboards.
6.) Apple Arcade is refocusing on which experiences they’re getting onto the service. Apple is looking for more “engaging” games. We’ll see if this is good or bad.
7.) Rumors of a modular gaming Mac.
8.) Rumors of their own controller coming bundled with a more powerful Apple TV and/or sold separately.

Their biggest hurdles are attracting AAA development to the Apple TV and ARM Macs, but I think that they are in a good position to accomplish this. You can court studios with some cash stacks and making the case that AAA games published on an iPad can expand to the entire Apple TV and Mac user base. Hell, some of the less resource intensive AAA games can also run on iPhones (such as Civ VI and Fortnite).

Watch out for Apple here. I think they have a really good chance, and I think they intend to make a large VR and AR gaming push as well.

They have a chance to do this right, and I hope they succeed. I would want nothing more than to purchase a single license that works across all of their products. That value would be unmatched. The devices are more capable than a Switch in mobile mode, and most people already have them. Throw in an Apple TV and you have a capable mobile and console set up without compromising on either concept. Mobile mode = my small phone. Console mode = an actual console.

The hurdles that they still have to overcome are 1.) psychology behind app store pricing for premium experiences, 2.) courting AAA studios en mass, and 3.) increasing the size permitted for apps.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Gillette, at least their woke campaign can find some success in the vg industry right now.

The best gamers can be.

There is a lot of soybeards who need a seriois trim in this industry.

Last edited:

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
I did not know gaming is something you "have to get into" my thing is everyone can make a video game

McDonalds.
c4b2301d6674bcef20f52a10d51ceffd.jpg

MetalRain

I think traditional companies have trouble entering gaming in reasonable and profitable way. They can purchase marketable extras in current games (like various food brands have), but I cannot see them creating full blown games themselves.

For example, did Netflix produce those Stranger Things 2D games or was that just bought from some other smaller game studio?

Last edited:
not a company per se, but i can see elon musk dipping his toes into it. i mean hes BIG picture thinking and looking to change the world with his companies...

but in order to fund other companies, he might throw hsi hat into the investment ring....try to earn that whale moola.... maybe esports or VR related or something.... who knows

Last edited:

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
I'd like to see Sega take the risk and release an original new console. Anyone else, no...
Google could do this already and you'd end up with cell-phone app like games...no one wants more of that.

fermcr

Tesla (why not?)...

or ...

Xiaomi (these guys are into everything, surprised they still haven't launched a gaming console)...

or...

Apple (with the first 1000€ console)...

:messenger_beermugs:

Last edited:
i think most new companies would try to get into mobile gaming.

difficult to start from scratch and compete with established players in console /pc space.

they could invest in existing companies to fund massive projects like gta 6.

Last edited:
I think depending on what happens next gen
If xbox takes another L like they did this just gen they might pull the plug and go full service only route

i can see amazon or google cmon and try to compete-

but my dark house is

tesla-

i can def see elon musk gettin in on this gaming stuff

Mr Hyde

Gold Member
It's enough with the big three. They cover all the angles. Another player would just oversaturate the market.

Top Bottom