• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What controller are you connecting to your phone?

Skyzard

Banned
So recently, I discovered I can stream my games from PC to my devices using moonlight. Works with tablets, phones, chrome, java (and the vita if you can run homebrew on it). Unfortunately no WiiU support.

[Works using Nvidia's gamestream technology, basically acting like a shield. It even pairs as one and needs no extra software on pc, just hit the checkbox for gamestreaming in geforce experience. App is on the ios and play store].

It works really damn well too. The latency is tiny and is a great way to play quite a few games. Lets you launch the steam fullscreen mode to select games and turn off your pc, or you can just launch games directly with shortcuts created in geforce experience.
Recently Snake Pass, excellent platformer which I just completed on my vita like this, but it even works well enough for rocket league. The lag is minimal with a decent setup with moonlight. I have yet to try remote play as no PS4.

It works well on Vita, but the vita doesn't have r2/l2 and the grips for them are really expensive now (£90 imported from Japan for V1). And it's internet could be better so I can't use the bitrate I'd like for perfect image quality. Though games do look fantastic on the screen. Need to use higher resolution for phones for it to look good, and even then, it doesn't have that downsampled quality to the image that playing with the Vita does.

- So anyway

I looked into getting a controller phone mount to use with my Samsung edge+ (v6) so I can take advantage of other games.

Xbox 1 controller - I could only find a single mount by Nyko and it costs £55 (excluding shipping) imported from USA

PS4 - a few available for £<10-20, but with the recent thread reminding me how bad the durability of the controller is, I'm having second thoughts

BMz9xjZ.jpg

But I am leaning towards it still as I bet the experience would be great while it lasts, and it might last.

I purchased an Ipega 9025 after someone mentioned it, it came yesterday but it's going back to Amazon.

The main issue is the bluetooth with the controller causes stuttering while streaming. Turn bluetooth off, and the image is silky smooth. It has a wired connection but I don't have the micro usb to micro usb cable to test it out with my phone. Wiring to PC/Mac has mixed results but it's generally okay. But I'm not keeping it to find out how it fairs with my phone - the d-pad is trash for any diagonal inputs. Looking at a configure screen with the controller my diagonal inputs barely register. Another smaller complaint is that with a phone mounted, it's not that comfortable to hit the R1/L1 buttons as there's not much space. Also I'm not big on the R2/L2 buttons it has.

I'm not sure if bluetooth while streaming will cause stuttering for everyone, I know it does for some others as I came across posts online while trying to find a solution.

Right now I'm leaning towards PS4 controller + mount with a micro usb to micro usb on-the-go wire (short) and I'm hoping I won't run into any issues having the controller wired to my android. Read online that it should work.

I know there are mounts for the DS3 which has decent durability...but I've misplaced mine lol. Also, the d-pad wasn't that good, too stiff.

For someone who has this set up nicely and is having fun playing games this way, what are you using and do you recommend it? What are the issues you notice with it?

I haven't looked into mounting a phone to my controller... but in the past, whenever I've wanted to play a game on my phone with a controller, I've just paired my PS4 controller via bluetooth. Works great and without any lag.

I'll have to try Moonlight though. That sounds interesting. I'll report back if there are any issues with connecting it via bluetooth.

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
I couldn't imagine any phone games I would want to play with a controller, plus my 3DS is always on me, so I always have that for "proper" games, but this is really neat for those folks that are into that kind of thing.

Unicorn

I couldn't imagine any phone games I would want to play with a controller, plus my 3DS is always on me, so I always have that for "proper" games, but this is really neat for those folks that are into that kind of thing.
Clearly you only read the title.

Skyzard

Banned
Thanks for the recommendations guys. I bit the bullet on the PS4 controller and mount pictured in OP.

It came today...and I'm fucking happy!

The controller feels great! Really premium. And the mount is excellent too, very secure and stiff.

60fps streaming from PC!

Latency:

giphy.gif

:)

I can't think of anything that isn't playable! It's almost completely in sync. Later I might upgrade the old router I'm using to a 5GHz to bump up the bitrate and resolution further.

giphy.gif

Top Bottom