• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What cool/interesting console (or handheld) modifications have you encountered?

tylrdiablos

Recently I've been discovering stuff like:

The GameCube flippydrive:

I never knew you could replace the RAM in the Steam Deck:

This one has a click-baity title and thumbnail but the actual modding of the Switch is pretty interesting (I particularly like the metal back-plate):

Restoring an old junk Game Boy and adding a back-light:

-
A lot of these look really easy... but I've been known to fuck up toast so soldering is probably not a good idea... and when I search around around for junk consoles they still seem a bit pricey.

Feel free to share similar.

Game Boy modding is a key specialty of mine, with GameCube and PS2 next in line.

As such there are a ton of cool (and a ton of scam) Game Boy mods out there (avoid HandHeldLegend and RetroSix).

This is a rather new one, guy designed a brand new mobo for the GBC to make it a GBA form factor, though I rather think it looks like one of those old NGage phones.

And this is mahko's Slate, a GB form factor mod for the GBA SP.

Last edited:

cireza

I highly recommend the Fenrir ODE on Saturn. Works flawlessly and is very easy to install, works on all models.
It can even make backups of the internal RAM which is nice because the battery tends to die without warning.

Otherwise flash carts of course. I have Everdrives for MegaDrive, Game Gear and Master System. Very useful, especially for me as a developer on these consoles.

Last edited:

tylrdiablos

I highly recommend the Fenrir ODE on Saturn. Works flawlessly and is very easy to install, works on all models.
It can even make backups of the internal RAM which is nice because the battery tends to die without warning.
I like it!

Here's a video that features the install process for those interested:

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
This reminds me of when I was recently thinking of making my own handled with a Raspberry Pi 5. Even thought about building a custom UI in Python.

Then I remembered I'm not that skilled and moved on.

nowhat

This just turned up in my Youtube feed:

Not a feasible mod for most of us, but cool nevertheless.

Trilobit

Replaced my GBA SP's display with IPS, which was fun and looks way better.

I'd like to one day modify my original GBA with a backlight screen. The formfactor is without a doubt the best for my hands so just having a light would make it perfect.

Impotaku

Backlighting a pokemon mini so it can be finally played in places that don't have a massive spotlight shining on it to see the screen.
kqCurSR.jpg

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
Found one locally which I'd need to post pictures of for the gimmick. Manufacturer is unknown but they went with the Gameboy style. Some Chinese smart guy put 'Nintendo Switch' on the back which is the gimmick. Anyway, it's loaded up about 400 games total including some rare JP only OG Famicom games and the early modded Mario games. It's pretty much a pocket Famicom. Stupid long battery life (plays 6-hours no charge and can sit without a charge for a couple months...and still power on) and the person who gave this to me said they paid about $5 for it.

Been through a couple modded Wiis but that's nothing too out of the ordinary.

Top Bottom