• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What do you think about people saying Trump is looking to become a dictator?

12Goblins

Lil’ Gobbie
Trump definitely would rather run his country like putin or duterte, he has openly admitted this. It's always been ironic to me that folks on the right espouse small government but keep on feeding the military complex and celebrate leaders that act like authoritarians, as long as it is from their party. If Hilary acted anything like trump, had any suspected ties to Russia, saying she has the right to pardon herself,etc there would a revolution and a coup from the right to protect the constition. Trump making money with other governments is ok but not Hillary because she's a so-called "politician". Ironically trump has always been by definition a politician, it's absolutely what he is best at. Hillary on the other hand, in my eyes, is an intellectual, and a terrible politician. People in America just don't trust intellectualism

The latest example / evidence of this is stating he is above the law, has absolute pardon powers and even can pardon himself.

Now please tell me if you proclaim yourself above the law, what does that make you?

Pres. Trump is saying the law gives him the authority to do x, y and z. Your courts haven't made it clear what limits exist if any.

What makes your president a dictator? I haven't seen any evidence that he'll ignore the courts, ignore the results of impeachment or ignore being voted out when his term is up.

NickFire

Pres. Trump is saying the law gives him the authority to do x, y and z. Your courts haven't made it clear what limits exist if any.

What makes your president a dictator? I haven't seen any evidence that he'll ignore the courts, ignore the results of impeachment or ignore being voted out when his term is up.
Good sir, if the president says something that the opposing political party disagrees with, he is obviously is trying to become a dictator. What more evidence do you need? Frankly, I am shocked they don't teach this where you live. And please ignore the dictionary definition of dictator. The author was clearly red pilled.

Astral Dog

Because he is a madman who says he could kill someone on the streets and not loose support. 😐
But he is too much of a buffon to do it.

rokkerkory

Oh of course you haven't seen any evidence. You're quite blinded by your bias. If you think any leader of a country constantly calling out its justice department and saying he can shoot someone and not get in trouble is OK, then you probably move to places like Argentina or something.

NickFire

Oh of course you haven't seen any evidence. You're quite blinded by your bias. If you think any leader of a country constantly calling out its justice department and saying he can shoot someone and not get in trouble is OK, then you probably move to places like Argentina or something.
1) you are referring to campaign statements that were hyperbolic expressions of how popular he was, or referring to RG who did not say he couldn’t get in trouble, and was referring to preimpeachment indictment of a sitting president, either way, you’re presenting it as he claims the right to shoot whoever he wants when that has not happened.

2) he is the boss of the justice department whether we like it or not. Pres is in charge of all executive branches at end of the day. Calling them out to work as he believes they should and chastising them for what he perceives is wrong is not acting as a dictator. It’s the simple exercise of his constitutional powers.

Papa

Banned

You're conflating words with actions. The braggadocio is all part of the Trump persona, which is incredibly popular outside the US bubble. China, for example, loves him. Then there's North Korea - why do you think Trump is the first president they have been genuinely willing to work with? If I see evidence that the (bad) words are beginning to translate into action, I'll be willing to re-evaluate. I suspect your definition of evidence is different to mine though.

rokkerkory

1) you are referring to campaign statements that were hyperbolic expressions of how popular he was, or referring to RG who did not say he couldn’t get in trouble, and was referring to preimpeachment indictment of a sitting president, either way, you’re presenting it as he claims the right to shoot whoever he wants when that has not happened.

2) he is the boss of the justice department whether we like it or not. Pres is in charge of all executive branches at end of the day. Calling them out to work as he believes they should and chastising them for what he perceives is wrong is not acting as a dictator. It’s the simple exercise of his constitutional powers.

He stated he has ultimate powers just the other day.

He aint above the law. No person is.

NickFire

He stated he has ultimate powers just the other day.

He aint above the law. No person is.
Receipts?

As for the second, you’re right. And he’s not saying that. His spokesman is just saying he can’t be indicted preimpeachment.

Last edited:

I don't think it's okay because it signals a deep division in one of your institutions.

However, Pres. Trump runs the executive branch. If he doesn't like someone within that branch from his Vice Pres on down, then he can talk about them. Fire them (except the VP and the career folks). Chastise them on a daily basis while letting them keep their job. He's not using force nor does he have total control over anything outside his jurisdiction. What suggests he's trying to become a dictator?

In terms of Pres. Trump saying he can shoot someone and not face legal consequences...that's an interpretation of existing law. Maybe he can or maybe he can't as long as he's your POTUS. If he can't and people are wrong, then let a state/federal prosecutor indict him, let your state/federal authorities arrest him, let your legislative branch impeach him and let your courts resolve any disputes. As far as I can tell, he hasn't shot anyone nor made a serious threat to take out someone he doesn't like using force. So, what about his rhetoric suggests he's trying to be a dictator as opposed to providing an example of what he's allowed to do under your laws?

Last edited:

Ke0

He seems above average politician intelligence IMO... but I have no sources to base that off of...

Your President justified Canada tariffs by citing the War of 1812...so I'm not sure on the "Above average" part, unless your politicians are all really really really dumb...which then says a lot about the population itself.

BANGS

Banned
Your President justified Canada tariffs by citing the War of 1812...so I'm not sure on the "Above average" part, unless your politicians are all really really really dumb...which then says a lot about the population itself.
This is the same country that has an entire industry built around watching rich people do dumb things... don't underestimate our lack of IQ...

JDB

Banned
Imagine if we had someone like Trump who knew anything about politics or the government.
Scary thought.

Imagine if we had someone like Trump who knew anything about politics or the government.
Scary thought.
Its going to be really interesting to see what happens when we get a politically astute jerk in office. The republicans have proved to the nation that they will let just about anything slide now-a-days.

JDB

Banned
Its going to be really interesting to see what happens when we get a politically astute jerk in office. The republicans have proved to the nation that they will let just about anything slide now-a-days.
I wonder if it's even possible to successfully mimic Trump's style while also being a 'proper' politician and come across as authentic.

Future

I wonder if it's even possible to successfully mimic Trump's style while also being a 'proper' politician and come across as authentic.

Trumps personality has been perfected over decades, and was bolstered even more when he got into entertainment. It’s a hard style to mimic, I doubt many could do it and pull it off

Top Bottom