• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What do you think the main game for Nintendo's E3 2018 will be?

True Fire

There won't be a "main" game. It'll be more similar to E3 2013, where we see all of Nintendo's tentpole franchises all at once.

I'm expecting Smash 5 to be announced, but for it to be essentially be Smash 4.5.

Kirye

They claim that Metroid Prime 4 is a 2018 title so if this is still the case I can see it being their flagship title for E3 2018.

Otherwise not sure. Animal Crossing/Pikmin aren't big enough to lead an E3 with. They could also show a bunch of smaller projects along with Virtual Console. Kirby, Fire Emblem, Yoshi, SMT and some Wii U ports. Smash and Bayo 2 maybe.

EDIT: Actually forgot all about Pokemon. That might be it.

You're actually insane.

We are due for a new Zelda game next year, albeit a 2D one. Triforce Heroes came out in 2015 and ALBW was 2013.

That said, I also think we are in for a new 2D Mario, and if we're lucky, it'll be something fresh and not in the "New" art style. I think E3 could focus on one of those or maybe even both.

We're all thinking that they can not follow up a year one with Zelda/Mario with nothing or lesser games like Pikmin or Animal Crossing (don't @ me, that game is LESSER) in year two, right? Like, it's Metroid AND Pokemon or bust for 2018, unless they get another A tier franchise back.

(Yes I'm aware that Animal Crossing may ~probably~ be considered enough for a good showing - it would just disappoint me personally :p)

I don't think they will have a single centrepiece for their E3 presence- BOTW and Odyssey were the biggest cards they had to play there.

Pokémon will probably be the highest-profile game they'll be showing next year, but I don't actually expect it to make an appearance on the show floor.

requiem02

Banned
Animal Crossing, Fire Emblem and Retro's new IP (FPS) will share equal spotlight.

Smash will be March 2018. Pokemon and MP4 for 2019.

CronoShot

I would guess Pokemon. Prime 4 will get an actual trailer, but I wouldn't expect it until 2019. I doubt Smash. If it's just Smash 4 Deluxe I can't see it getting all that much emphasis, but if it's a brand new Smash it would be too soon to show. Maybe a tease, but not much else.

Also, we'll surely see Retro's game in some capacity. It's kinda crazy that we didn't see anything this E3, given how long it's been since Tropical Freeze.

Zebetite

Banned
I think they're going to have a broader spread of their b-tier franchises like Fire Emblem, Animal Crossing, etc. Maybe a trailer for MP4 or Retro's next game.

I think they're going to have a broader spread of their b-tier franchises like Fire Emblem, Animal Crossing, etc. Maybe a trailer for MP4 or Retro's next game.

animal crossing is not a b tier franchise its up there with mario and pokemon in terms of sales.

Didn't Mario Maker do that?

I don't recall. I was asking sincerely lol. To my recollection Nintendo has never announced a game at E3 while also dedicating more time to it than any other game. There have been times where a game announcement was the "biggest" piece of the presentation (Zelda is notorious in this regard), but not in terms of the actual time allotted to it.

Mortemis

Banned
When's the last time a Nintendo game went from being unannounced to being the main attraction of their E3 presentation?

As in announced at E3 and headlining? I guess Splatoon. Anyways we still have directs outside of E3, they can announce a new game then and headline it during E3.

For the topic, I can't think of much. Idk if there will be one big game that's on the level of Odyssey or BOTW but maybe like 2-3 really good ones. I hope it's not a dry year.

I don't think there will be a game to match super Mario odyssey and in scope/popularity. We could get a Pokemon switch game, but it could be connected to the 3ds somehow like a port. I think it will be more niche and several of them. Pikmin 4 is likely to make it, and maybe Metroid Prime 4 and animal crossing.

chrono01

They're going to end the conference with the words "Other M" appearing on screen. Then, after a few seconds, a Mr. Saturn will waddle out, pick up the "M", and toss it on it beside the "O" in "Other". The "M" will slide in-place, the "O" will become a lower-case "o", and "Collection" will fade in from below it.

Mother Collection

It'll be a remake of the Mother 1/Mother 2/Mother 3 titles, all re-done in a claymation style similar to the original art pieces, and will play in a 3D environment, similar to the Pokémon 3DS titles. Scheduled for release later in Holiday 2018.

There's a 99.9% chance the above will never happen, and that makes me sad.

MoonFrog

Main game would be a 2018 or 2019 title.

Well 2018 is slated to have:

Fire Emblem
Kirby
Yoshi
(Pikmin 4?! Is this scheduled or not atm?)

I agree with you that those don't fit the bill of "big central game." They're all games I'm personally curious about.

2018 might have, according to Nintendo:

Metroid Prime 4
Pokemon

I don't think Pokemon tends to have E3 as its focal point. Metroid should be huge for us, not so huge for Nintendo.

2018 should by all rights have:

Retro's game

Like Metroid Prime 4 above.

Missing in action big Nintendo franchises:

Animal Crossing
2D Mario
Mario Maker
Smash

I'd expect the big game to come from among these if there is one. I think there probably should be one of those. Nintendo is doing incredibly well covering bases in 2017 and I imagine they plan to continue in 2018.

I know it sells well but does smash even have the same pull as Zelda, Mario, Splatoon and Pokemon?

Kart might even be bigger than Smash.

Genuinely curious.

Top Bottom