• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What do you want to see in an AstroBot 2 for PlaystationVR2?

I have to say, AstroBot on PSVR supplanted Mario as my favorite platformer in the modern era. Odyssey wasn't to my liking and AstroBot PSVR was transformational in a way that Mario 64 was. It gave me that sense of complete wonder and joy back for the genre.

It would be a massive disappointment if Team Asobi didn't remaster the first for PSVR2 while simultaneously working and expanding on the works of the original. I would like to see them still retain the feel of the original while having perhaps sections where you could go into first person mode and explore a bit more.

It's been nearly 2.5 years since PS5 launch, and I suspect that Astro's Playroom on PS5 was finished in the summer of 2020. So they have had nearly 3 years to make something at the studio. I hope we see their next project soon. AstroBot came out 2 years after launch of PSVR1

Ps5 Astro Bot GIF by PlayStation

Last edited:

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
I have to say, AstroBot on PSVR supplanted Mario as my favorite platformer in the modern era. Odyssey wasn't to my liking and AstroBot PSVR was transformational in a way that Mario 64 was. It gave me that sense of complete wonder and joy back for the genre.

It would be a massive disappointment if Team Asobi didn't remaster the first for PSVR2 while simultaneously working and expanding on the works of the original. I would like to see them still retain the feel of the original while having perhaps sections where you could go into first person mode and explore a bit more.

It's been nearly 2.5 years since PS5 launch, and I suspect that Astro's Playroom on PS5 was finished in the summer of 2020. So they have had nearly 3 years to make something at the studio. I hope we see their next project soon. AstroBot came out 2 years after launch of PSVR1

I can't personally agree that it was better than mario odyssey especially considering its half the game in terms of length. But it was amazing, and I am also fully ready for astrobot 2, or even better, a full on new platform game from team asobi.

Definitely. Sony's already lost a great VR developer to GaaS in London Studios. They cant afford to lose Asobo Studio to the PS5. VR is where they can innovate more.

I think at a minimum they make a game that can be played on either PS5 or with PSVR2. And I hope it's twice the length of AstroBot rescue mission.

They are all that's left of Japan. Turn them into Sony's Nintendo, full stop.

I really hope we see something from them this year

Last edited:

K2D

Banned
Character agency. Do something to give these bots some more soul. Think Despicable Me/Minions.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
I'm not sure, they're very creative and I'm sure they'll find neat ways to use the new tools. I was thinking it might be fun to have a level or two that wasn't on rails though. I don't mind the linear levels, but a change up here or there would be welcome.

Also, maybe some vehicle minigame level. Change up the basic game play like they did with Astrobot PS5.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit

Definitely no where near the level of Mario Odyssey (or any Mario game for that matter), but an amazing little platformer. Personally I think the pack-in title for the PS5 was a superior game and would like to see more of what it does. Gamify the history of Playstation while having tons of charm and nods to long time franchises. Was the first time in a long while that it felt like something fun and passionate for Playstation for me. Not since the PS3 did I feel that. Give me more!

Let me traverse through the history of playstation consoles. Have a random throw back level where everything looks like it is from a CRT (or hell, be a kid playing on a "controller" seeing the game on an old CRT in a 90s bedroom for one level). Stuff like that, that you can only do in VR.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Cute robot waifus

4cfec9a46dc913ab334feb99c683aba3.jpg

Ignoring the disturbing prospect of considering Roll, a literally child robot, to be a 'Waifu', I would love to see Megaman/Roll appear in a level. I think their Powered-Up aesthetic would match very well with Astrobot.

Last edited:

Jennings

• A dynamic dismemberment system.
  • Prominent Hollywood voice actors.
  • 10+ possible endings.
  • A diplomacy system.
  • Biting social commentary.
  • Unlockable cosmetics.
  • Day one custom animation packs.
  • Retro pixel art modes.

• LOL
Reactions: LMJ

aclar00

Now that i think of it, a 3d Kart racing level would be a great addition. Maybe have Astro transform into a Tron like vehicle.

Also more fleshed out It Takes Two style cooperation with non VR player.

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member

I want a Gravity Rush VR tour.

Definitely no where near the level of Mario Odyssey (or any Mario game for that matter)

Lol, sure, we’re all entitled to our opinions.

• A dynamic dismemberment system.
  • Prominent Hollywood voice actors.
  • 10+ possible endings.
  • A diplomacy system.
  • Biting social commentary.
  • Unlockable cosmetics.
  • Day one custom animation packs.
  • Retro pixel art modes.

Needs more race and gender representation

nial

Gold Member
As much as I want these guys to continue inovating in the VR sphere, they should make a full-fledged TV game as a follow-up to Astro's Playroom. They deserve to have a big hit, a much harder goal to achieve with a $500 peripheral-only title.
And yes, while Astro was a free pack-in with the PS5, ironically it may make some people think it's an useless tech demo to mess around with, and I think that's a perception The Playroom might have brought by requiring a PS4 camera to play.

mxbison

I just want a big game.

It's absolutely criminal that Sony is using one of their most talented teams for budget and free pack-in games.

Give me $80 AstroBot VR2 ffs.

Yoboman

I'd rather they make a AAA VR game without VR. Need the opportunity to hit it big, not relegate themselves to the VR niche

drezz

You know how you hold the controller inside the game?
I want to drag a WIRE from the controller and stuff it in the back of Astro skull and take over him, POV from Astro's perspective.
Run around smaller caves, areas, buildings that are too big for the Massive unit we are in Astro's World and make way to progress with the objective, or collect stuff here and there.
Maybe even climb inside that big bot and pull on the wires and defeat some "virus" or some shit inside.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Lol, sure, we’re all entitled to our opinions.

Needs more race and gender representation

Nah, no world where it is on the same level as Odyssey - nor was that ever its goal. It was just a basic platformer done in VR (which isn't a bad thing). The pack-in offered more variety and unique level designs than the entirety of Rescue Mission. The sequel has a great chance at taking the groundwork provided and making something truly next gen and I hope they take every advantage they can.

Nah, no world where it is on the same level as Odyssey - nor was that ever its goal. It was just a basic platformer done in VR (which isn't a bad thing). The pack-in offered more variety and unique level designs than the entirety of Rescue Mission. The sequel has a great chance at taking the groundwork provided and making something truly next gen and I hope they take every advantage they can.

Odyssey is a massive disappointment to me and far more basic than Astro in VR. Level design in Odyssey being pretty awful IMO

So yeah, everyone is entitled to their own opinion

Last edited:

aclar00

I will say this, they would definitely benefit by doing something similar to Playroom as oppose to simply doing another 'rescue' component. They should still have it, but i think it should be relegated to one world. Maybe have each world be a diff gameply component like Playroom, but still keep the platform base.

It would be hard to do rescue mission 2 if the entire game is simply like the first one but with new levels. They would definitely need to up the novelty value for each level/world.

Id love to see how they could do a 3d side scrolling shooter, or the FPS they had in Playroom VR

Edit: And invite Sackboy into the mix. Those two should be best friends...maybe even littlw Knack too.

Last edited:
Odyssey is a massive disappointment to me and far more basic than Astro in VR. Level design in Odyssey being pretty awful IMO

So yeah, everyone is entitled to their own opinion
Don't think you are crazy tbh. Have the same type of feeling. I loved odyssey don't get me wrong, but it's probably the worst 3D Mario outside of Sunshine. Played it 3 years ago and don't think I can remember a world or level, outside of new donk city, which was TERRIBLE.

Rescue mission was so damn innovative for the genre, now sure what else they could improve. Length I think is the obvious thing but that's not really "improving" anything. Regardless, those dudes got my trust. Even playroom was a blast for just being a tech demo. It's a shame nothing has even come close to use of the dual sense.

More length, more meaningful collectibles, more secrets and hidden stuff in the levels. That stuff was great but I want even more, to encourage the player to explore every last part of the levels.

Without a time limit (fuck you, most Mario games)

Top Bottom