• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What does NEOGAF think of the graphics on Wii U's second wave of games

Skyrim mammoths make those hideous "X" creatures look straight outta N64:

skyrim-demo-wolly-mammoth-640x325.jpg
Steelo why..ewwww nasty looky mammoth

I hope this was a joke post, because comparing X's monsters to N64 graphics - you may as well have said NES.
Skyrim's monsters have no style to them whatsoever. They're bog standard fantasy. And who on earth carved those patterns on their tusks?

JordanN

Banned
"X" is the kind of game the PS3/360 would have if they rendered at 480p and never went above 15-20fps at any given time.

But I may be selling it short. The draw distance is really something.

As for the other games: Wonderful 101 looks like an absolute powerhouse. Especially if it's suppose to be doing significant stuff on the gamepad. Another game i think if the PS3/360 were to run it, it would have to be at half the resolution and half the frame rate.

Pikmin 3, Yoshi's land, and WW remaster appear to me as utilizing certain GPU/RAM strength of the system. The games themselves could still be far better though in terms of geometry output.

"Oh hey, Nintendo has finally caught up" -- but hey, good for you guys. You can now experience a higher (then wii) graphical fidelity on a Nintendo console again.

I'M FINISHED!

Um exCUSE me Sakurai but CLEARLY the best choice for Smash Bros would be my fav niche character HOWEVER you are clearly INCOMPETENT and
I like these graphics. I expect more graphics later.

Somebody tell me what else was in the first wave apart from SMB WiiU and Nintendo Land or I'm going to break my WiiU and film it on Youtube or something. Liquid Nitrogen style, perhaps. That could be fun.

Because I'm Bad, I'm Bad-
Come On
(Bad Bad-Really, Really Bad)
You Know I'm Bad, I'm Bad-
You Know It
You Know I'm Bad, I'm Bad-
Come On, You Know
And The Whole World Has To
Answer Right Now
Just To Tell You Once Again,
Who's Bad . . .

A

A More Normal Bird

Unconfirmed Member
"Oh hey, Nintendo has finally caught up" -- but hey, good for you guys. You can now experience a higher (then wii) graphical fidelity on a Nintendo console again.

I love this condescending attitude, almost as if the people playing games are somehow responsible for the quality of their visuals. That and anyone who thinks these titles could be impressive must have only played Wii titles. Good for you guys, glad you caught up!

squidyj

I hope this was a joke post, because comparing X's monsters to N64 graphics - you may as well have said NES.
Skyrim's monsters have no style to them whatsoever. They're bog standard fantasy. And who on earth carved those patterns on their tusks?

the giants who keep them?

Kimawolf

ummm......... well yeah?

That's the issue. They are impressive, i've played games on PC on the maximum settings and they still impress me. I have a feeling once the other two drop, you'll be first to say how amazing they are despite the obviously superior experiences on PC available today.

Dude its okay to admit its impressive, no one will jump on you or you won't lose cool points. Just like things on PS4 will be impressive, despite me playing on a high end PC.

A

A More Normal Bird

Unconfirmed Member
ummm......... well yeah?

Quoting myself from earlier in this thread.

That said, X looks amazing (esp. if being generous about an early build) to me, and I play Skyrim with ENB at 2560x1600. Just in case anyone wants to tell me that I only think it looks good because I haven't seen anything better.

It's hard to tell from a youtube clip (is there a better feed somewhere else?) but there are parts of the trailer that look better than vanilla Skyrim (even on PC) to me.

Really? It looks like the skyrim mammoths are the ones that came from n64. The animations are also worse on the mammoth from skyrim. Maybe better with mods but without, I would have to disagree.

What is that game called anyway? Is it just called "X"?

Can't wait to see Zelda, Mario (Oh my god, just look at Galaxy 2 o Dolphin) and Metroid. and hell, F-ZERO in, like 2016 would be amazing. Look at what they did with GX.

That's the issue. They are impressive, i've played games on PC on the maximum settings and they still impress me. I have a feeling once the other two drop, you'll be first to say how amazing they are despite the obviously superior experiences on PC available today.

Dude its okay to admit its impressive, no one will jump on you or you won't lose cool points. Just like things on PS4 will be impressive, despite me playing on a high end PC.

Counter Strike 1.6 doesn't count.

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
Can anyone judge graphics from small screenshots? What will they look like on a big screen in motion? From what I see, they look PS360 like.

squidyj

The graphics are really great for what the Wii U is, they're not really better than current gen consoles though.

Übermatik;46828191 said:
Can't wait to see Zelda, Mario (Oh my god, just look at Galaxy 2 o Dolphin) and Metroid. and hell, F-ZERO in, like 2016 would be amazing. Look at what they did with GX.

Seriously. Mario is going to be ridiculous in both gameplay and graphics. The EADT wizards will make sure of this. I expect it to be in my top three favorite games for the console when it's all said and done.

Kimawolf

Counter Strike 1.6 doesn't count.

Heheh I do like Counterstrike, great game. But no I just came from playing Far Cry 3, and I still find it impressive. I know its crazy huh, someone can say something is impressive even while having seen something far more impressive.

But hey i forgot for some people it's all either or.

Lizardus

Please don't bring Skyrim into this when comparing graphics. Skyrim was a painfully bad game with shitty animations, gameplay and everything.

It's baby's first open-world RPG.

This FIRST wave of WiiU game looks "slightly" better than PS360 content. I am waiting to see what the Zelda,Mario, Metroid,
F-zero
teams can do with it. People waiting for "next-gen" need to get their head checked because I really don't think you will be as impressed when we jumped from PS2 to PS3.

Polari

They look fine. I'm sure there will be plenty of visually impressive games on Wii U, but if anyone's expecting it to maintain parity with Durango and Orbis they're in for an unpleasant surprise.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Btw, was Lair actually an impressive game on the graphical front? I know it was Factor 5, I know that the first screenshots showed some absolutely sick looking dragons, but I thought the final game was an absolute mess that wasn't worthy of the kind of things you expect from F5.

Note: I'm specifically talking about the graphics.

Im sure given time, the Wii U will be able to produce visuals of a higher standard than PS3/360 its just that though: a matter of time.

A

A More Normal Bird

Unconfirmed Member
Please don't bring Skyrim into this when comparing graphics. Skyrim was a painfully bad game with shitty animations, gameplay and everything.

It's baby's first open-world RPG.

The game is shallow as hell but AFAIK there isn't an open world RPG out there that matches it visually. Definitely not a modded version.

Lizardus

The game is shallow as hell but AFAIK there isn't an open world RPG out there that matches it visually. Definitely not a modded version.

Yeah no shit, we are talking about the vanilla version because then any game can look good.

Also, it being an RPG has no bearing on its graphics and there are plenty other open-world games that look better than it.

Ydahs

I think some people are forgetting that X is still deep in development. The trailer probably only consists of gameplay elements because Nintendo rushed Monolith to throw together a trailer in time for an urgent Nintendo Direct. I mean, you wouldn't expect a typical reveal trailer to name the lead character "Tester". There's also a lot of inconsistency with the environments, which screams 'still in development'.

I wanted to point out this GIF specifically:
untitlehddgs1s65.gif

If you look at the first sword swing animation, it's immediately apparent that it's a placeholder. Only his upper body is moving, the bottom half is completely still. There's also no smooth transition to the next attack, which even Xenoblade had. Another oddity to point out is the particle effects throughout the trailers, which are also low quality compared to almost everything else, meaning they might also be placeholders. There's still a while to go in this game's development it seems.

With that said, it's also one of the most impressive shots of any console game I've seen. The foliage is high quality and alive, the enemies shadows are soft, the models are insanely detailed and the draw distance is top notch. There's nothing to really fault here. It certainly has that next gen feel to it.

The backgrounds also look incredible. If it's anything like Xenoblade, chances are they're not just props, but actual explorable locations.

It's hard to compare with a game like Skyrim and RDR, since the art direction for the games are on opposite ends. I prefer the foliage of X over the foliage of RDR, but that's a matter of preferences since the foliage is meant to look more lush in X. Skyrim's foliage is worse than both RDR and X though, since it's not as dense and it doesn't draw foliage too far off into the distance.

If X manages to keep a steady framerate at 720p while preserving the insane draw distances and large worlds of Xenoblade, I'd personally rate it above any other open world game on the 360. But this argument matters very little anyway, since 'next gen' or not, it seems the vast majority are satisfied with what we have here. It's going to be an amazing game.

Lizardus

To people posting Just Cause 2 pics:

It is a hell of a games, I always keep it installed on my PC, have over 100 hours on it and it looks amazing but thats not because of the hardware. Avalanche are wizards when it comes to that engine and they have employed some nifty tricks to make it look good. Your console running JC2 is not a ideal representation of the hardware power because its runs beautifully even on low-spec PCs that can't run Skyrim.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=507274

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
To people posting Just Cause 2 pics:

It is a hell of a games, I always keep it installed on my PC, have over 100 hours on it and it looks amazing but thats not because of the hardware. Avalanche are wizards when it comes to that engine and they have employed some nifty tricks to make it look good. Your console running JC2 is not a ideal representation of the hardware power because its runs beautifully even on low-spec PCs that can't run Skyrim.
Umm this thread is about graphics not the hardware power and shouldn't JC2 still be counted even if they used tricks?

Lizardus

Umm this thread is about graphics not the hardware power and shouldn't JC2 still be counted even if they used tricks?

just responding to people that posted that it doesnt look as good as JC2 and graphics = hardware power.

Also read the thread I linked, its only one page long.

EulaCapra

Yoshi Yarn: It has charm and looks good!
Wonderful 101: It doesn't look so hot but it has charm!
Pikmin 3: They could do better but it has charm!
X: You need more saturated colors but take your charm inside me!
Winder Waker U: Impressive, but where the hell did you leave all your charm??? Go get some black outlines!

Heheh I do like Counterstrike, great game. But no I just came from playing Far Cry 3, and I still find it impressive. I know its crazy huh, someone can say something is impressive even while having seen something far more impressive.

But hey i forgot for some people it's all either or.

Compared to PC, it's not impressive.
Compared to PS3/360 its decent.
Compared to Wii. It's impressive.

The art direction really goes a long way. Look at Xenoblade. Fantastic looking game for Wii. Great art direction. Lovely environments, but the trailer for Xenoblade, as glorious as it does (just like the original) it's not technically impressive.

Top Bottom