• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What does the next Elder Scrolls game need to improve upon most?

In many ways Skyrim was a fantastic Elder Scrolls game; it built a vast, expansive and deeply immersive world, it had a huge variety of compelling quest lines, characters and locations, it streamlined some of the outdated systems from earlier games and improved upon the core gameplay too.

However, Skyrim was first released almost six years ago and has begun to feel a little dated. Despite the ability to mod and enhance the game in a multitude of ways, I'm sure we would all agree there are a number of areas any future Elder Scrolls game could improve upon.

To that end, I thought it would be helpful to list out the things that the next game should either conserve and built upon, or overhaul more radically to improve the experience.

The two core things that I think need little change are firstly, the world itself, and second, the quests. Let me explain:

World Building: Skyrim's world is huge. It is filled with an incredible variety of locations, from wooded glades to monstrous mountains. Its cities are all distinctive and memorable, each having a unique look and feel. While the world is vast, it is also populated with an incredible amount of detail and almost everything can be picked up and interacted with in some way.

It is very easy to get immersed in the world, and Bethesda has triumphed in making a location with its own history, culture and lore. Most of us can likely remember our first journey to the top of high hrothgar, or the first time we stumbled across a deadric shrine or into an undead tomb. For me this is the games strongest aspect, and while it can be improved upon, I would be worried if Bethesda changed too much of it's approach for any future Scroll's location.

Quests: Skyrim didn't necessarily have the best quest lines of any Elder scrolls game, but I thought most of the biggest quest lines (main + 4 guilds) were all strong and compelling. In addition, there were a huge variety of high quality side quests, many with fantastic stories, locations and characters. My favourite quest line was the thieves guild, although I found the Dark Brotherhoods a little weak, especially compare to the masterful way they were handled in Oblivion.

There is certainly room for improvement here, but I think Bethesda have the right fundamental approach, and there are a huge variety of compelling quests, all worthwhile completing in their own right. The one thing I would argue for is the removal of radiant quests, which were low quality and added little, ultimately feeling like unnecessary padding to an already huge game.

Some that's what works well. But there are some areas needing more radical changes, and I can think of three main ones. First the combat, second the levelling system, and lastly the weapons/armour and crafting system.

Combat: As has been widely acknowledged, the core combat systems (melee, archery and magic) within Skyrim and the other Elder Scrolls games aren't fun. Nor do they have any sense or depth, or offer any levels of mastery. The melee combat feels clunky and lacks impact, while the magic often feels totally ineffective and dull. The best is probably the archery, which works like a basic FPS, but is still fairly underwhelming.

Lots of third person action games provide examples for how to offer better combat systems (Dark Souls and Dragons Dogma are two that spring to mind), and its clear Bethesda needs to fundamentally reassess how basic combat is performed in order to make the core game play a lot more compelling and fun. This is probably the area that I would argue Bethesda should focus the most on in developing any new game; a slightly more refined version of Skyrim's combat simply wont cut it.

Levelling: A unique part of any Elder Scrolls game comes from its levelling system, where levels are earn't by performing actions rather than through XP or a more traditional system. It would be a shame to do away with such a system, but it needs some work.

I think the total number of skills is about right, and the removal of certain skills, like athletics, was ultimately the right move. But how about a wider variety of ways to earn skills than simply grinding away at casting spells or swinging swords? I know there are trainers and skill books which help, but what about some unique quests linked to each skill set which offer faster levelling (or additional levels) in these skills. If I recall correctly, some of the magic skills had 'mastery' quests, but this could be greatly expanded upon (e.g some sort of archery contest with the 'world's best archer' to earn your last 10 skills points etc. - or some sort of hunting style quests to earn archery points at lower levels).

In addition, the perks system should be made more unique. Bethesda should put greater effort into coming up with some better ideas rather than simply +10 to damage with this type of weapon!

Weapons/armour/crafting: At the core of what makes many RPGs compelling is the hunt for loot in the form of better armour, weapons and other collectables.This is something I think the Skyrim and the Elder Scrolls series misses the mark on.

The tiered weapon/armour system from your basic rusty iron armour up to daedric works, but it's often too easy to get the best weapons and armour fairly early on and then spend at least half the game with no room to earn further rewards in this area. I would argue for more armour sets to be introduced and doled out more slowly, and for more unique weapons and armours which are sealed off until later in the game.

As mentioned in the 'levelling' point above, there could be quests to track down or forge 'ultimate/legendary' pieces of armour or unique weapons, as while the game is fairly good at offering unique one off items, these are usually much worse than the standard weapons you already have.

Perhaps its a bit much to ask for weapons and armour to be given a wider variety of stats or some randomised loot elements like Diablo, but I think Bethesda should think of introducing something to keep the player going beyond just getting a deadric weapon or armour set and then simply 'being done' with this aspect of the game.

The crafting system could also be expanded; give us the change to forge one off legendary weapons or further customise what we can already create. How about letting the player choose the colour of his armour, or offering the ability to tweak certain aspects of it (e.g different variations of horns and spikes on the deadric armour). All of this would allow players to feel more ownership of their own character, whose face can be customised endlessly, but whose sartorial options are much more limited.

Those are my top three picks for any future game, but I'm sure there are many others. Do you agree with my points about what Skyrim got right? Do you actually love the combat? What would you do to most improve the next entry in the series?

I thought the quests in Skyrim were really boring compared to the others. I struggled to find any that interested me. It needs stronger characters too. And for fuck sake do NOT use the trash that was the FO4 dialog "tree".

H3xum

Combat. And it needs to be a dramatic change. The overall simplicity and the "floaty" feel it has needs to be tweaked.

I also would like to see more variation in dungeons/caves. Granted there is only so much you can do with the latter, but, you navigate one you have navigated them all.

The writing should be the number one priority. Without it you won't be able to create a coherent world with engaging quests and interesting characters.

TissueBox

I honestly don't know how they'd fix up the combat without completely overhauling it, but if they can pull it off, it would be a very welcome win for all involved lol.

In any case that is a well-thought-out list OP. To abridge my personal thoughts, if it ain't broke don't fix it, and keep the open world feeling rich and immersive. That plus another strong look at a new region would have me content.

Still very far off though... I wouldn't be surprised if we get a decent idea of what approaches they're considering making with it through their next two new IPs.

It needs to be an RPG. Every Bethesda game since Morrowind's been watered and dumbed down bit by bit to the point where we're left with Fallout 4, a game with so little of what made Bethesda RPGs what they were that it's an embarrassment to even call it an RPG.

Lifeline

Quests without markers. Where you just have to explore and figure out where to go yourself, using clues given by quest giver and surroundings.

Obviously they can't make a whole game like this, but even a few side quests like this would be nice to have.

Cartho

To me it absolutely MUST be combat / character control and movement. The core "feel" of playing your character needs to improve.

Think of some of those Dishonoured montages: a guy sneaks into a room, uses a magical blink ability to close the gap with an enemy, one hit KO's him from behind with a sword through the neck, drops into a slide, shoots the next enemy in the face, pop's up, parries a sword swing which opens up another enemy for a one hit KO counter, grabs the enemy's head (which he sliced clean off), hurls it at another enemy to stagger him and leave him open for another quick kill.

All of that without any form of QTEs - just use of the game's core physics and combat systems.

This is the direction ES needs to go in. I know it's an RPG and I wouldn't want it to stray from that, but if I do some huge, sweeping cross ways blow with a bloody two handed sword, there needs to be some serious mess. A naked barbarian shouldn't eat that and then one hit KO me.

Magic is a part of this. Destruction needs a total overhaul. It needs to be made into something which feels primal, visceral and, if well specced into it, utterly deadly. Projectiles need to travel faster to make them more practical and when a fireball hits something there should be serious damage. It should send people flying, set fire to stuff, go off like a bomb. Not just fizzle into the wall. A heavily specced destruction mage should feel like a god, a heavily specced warrior should feel like Achilles and a heavily specced stealth char should feel like a complete ninja badass.

Make everyone OP as hell - it's much more fun! That's my main priority. I love most of the other aspects of it but they need to make the core control over your character feel much more fun.

Many of these changes might well require a totally new game engine, but if that's what it takes then do it!

Auctopus

• New Engine
  • Combat (see point above)
  • Engaging NPCs that don't move like mannequins (see point above)
  • Quality over quantity
  • Be an actual RPG.
  • Drop the "Become everything at once, you are the chosen one." setup.

For me, I would like them to upgrade their quest management system. Many times, I had so many quests built up that it felt like a laundry list I was checking off. This affected the narrative for me, I would finish a quest and not even remember what my character's motivation was for doing so. Horizon does a good job of not having you overwhelmed with quests.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
To cast an even wider net and further improve sales gains over the already massive Skyrim success, expect the next game to get even dumber and less specialized. Fallout 4 effect.

Ahasverus

Like, everything. Writing, for once, animations, graphics, physics, mission variety, loading times (how about none).

It wouldn't need to improve so much if The Witcher 3 hadn't been released, but it did, and it's a better Elder Scrolls than probably the next 5 entries in the series.

Venture

Better AI is what I really want to see over anything else. It doesn't even need to be anything too complicated, just get the basics right. No more of every man, woman, and child wandering the streets of their town in the middle of the night. Or people casually walking about while a dragon is burning their village down.

Give them realistic schedules and activities. Have them react appropriately to what's going on around them. These are relatively small fixes that would go a long way to making the world feel even more alive.

As long as they keep improving (and I very much feel that the arc from Arena to Skyrim has been one of steady and significant improvement), I just want more ES in a new place.

Shock32

more color. Look at Skyrim compared to something like Zelda and Horizon. I can't go back to Skyrim after playing Horizon because it's to depressing.

For me the biggest thing they need to return to is how they did quest design and general world design in Morrowind.

Skyrim's excessive use of quest and world markers ruins the landscape/world they designed. You are often just given a marker with very brief instructions that would not be useful without the marker, and sometimes no instructions at all and just the marker when looking for a location or person.

In Morrowind, you were told directions to head in, where someone may be, and you had to make your own way there, ask for directions, read over your journal, traveling in Morrowind felt like a real journey/adventure, not just running to a marker. There was no instant marker telling me where this person was that I was supposed to go seek out for example - an important part of every quest is the adventuring, and that is something lost in a lot of RPGs.

Bethesda has always been pretty good at designing their landscape which is fun to explore but also been stripping away part of what makes their landscape, the unknown for you, fun to journey in. If everything is a marker it really ruins that. Also it's not as if you can just ignore the markers because the game solely relies on it, there isn't sufficient information from NPCs and quest text/voice acting, and your journal otherwise.

Morrowind wasn't about being blind, it was like being truly dropped in that world, not knowing ANYTHING about it (as it is in the story of the game when you arrive), and you have to learn about the region you are in, you have to learn about the cultures, the landscape, directions, all by interacting with NPCs and exploring. That is something completely lost in each TES game. You don't have to *learn* about the world you are in with Skyrim, but in Morrowind you could not actually play the game by taking the time and roleplaying, and talking to NPCs etc. You would not know where to go if you didn't do that. I finished replaying Morrowind and Gothic II 2 months ago (just with graphics improvement mods), and both are still in my opinion the best open world games ever made, Bethesda needs to replay their own masterpiece.

Also, stop the level scaling system, it is ridiculous, mods like Morrowloot make Skyrim such a better game as well.

I'd also like to see a better melee combat system, something similar to what Kingdom Come: Deliverance is doing but it doesn't need that level of complexity (although it would be nice), because that combat system for that game plays a huge role in its attempt of not being a fantasy game but a medieval historical game.

Cartho

I think all the TES devs need to be forced to play BOTW over and over again. Both games have physics systems - TES is known for allowing you to pick stuff up and chuck it about etc. However, the physics in TES is totally superficial, with barely any impact on gameplay.

BOTW integrated physics into everything and is so much the better for it.

RAWRferal

I suppose this isn't so much an improvement from previous games as it is learning a lesson from Fallout 4 player feedback, but please for the love of all that is holy...

No voiced protaganist.

That shit killed my immersion in Fallout 4.

Also I agree with OP and whatever everyone else is saying. A new engine is definitely needed for the series to keep up with it's contemporaries. Gamebryo is creaking at the seams.

Xiao Hu

Being more like Oblivion than Fallout 4. Outside of the usual suspects, read Thief's Guild and Dark Brotherhood, the rest of the guilds were lackluster and boring. I thought the College was especially disappointing with the way it was presented. On top of that I would highly prioritize the return of the class system of the previous games. I thought Skyrim's roleplaying system to be weakest by far in the series and a huge disappointment for those of us who don't want to play a jack of all trades character. Also, take a note or two or even a whole chapter how CD Projekt managed to simulate a living breathing world.

Truant

TES games need to continue to be a fantasy sandbox. Every part of the design should facilitate this. Skyrim did a decent job, but they should lean even further into it. Ditch the "main quest" and just focus on guilds, factions, side quests, and maybe some sort of custom dynamic quest system for each player based on their class, skills, reputation, etc.

A mix between the radiant quest system and the Nemesis system that will replace the standard Bethesda main quest.

Renekton

It needs to be an RPG. Every Bethesda game since Morrowind's been watered and dumbed down bit by bit to the point where we're left with Fallout 4, a game with so little of what made Bethesda RPGs what they were that it's an embarrassment to even call it an RPG.
The definition of RPG is pretty nebulous. It's like a list of arbitrary gameplay elements to meet an arbitrary criteria.

Eg I would consider mixing reagants just to cast spells an RPG element.

eizarus

Banned
I suppose this isn't so much an improvement from previous games as it is learning a lesson from Fallout 4 player feedback, but please for the love of all that is holy...

No voiced protaganist.

That shit killed my immersion in Fallout 4.

Also I agree with OP and whatever everyone else is saying. A new engine is definitely needed for the series to keep up with it's contemporaries. Gamebryo is creaking at the seams.
I wasn't till voiced protagonist till my guy screamed "what" as if he was from that meme with the fat woman in blue, when i wanted him to do a curious/surprised what. Meh.

They really need to give up that shit engine. It's horrible. Pretty much any decent modern game is well beyond that technical level, so instead of being cheap fucks, they really should develop a new engine. It's not like Skyrim (AND Fallout 4) have sold poorly.

I wasn't till voiced protagonist till my guy screamed "what" as if he was from that meme with the fat woman in blue, when i wanted him to do a curious/surprised what. Meh.

They really need to give up that shit engine. It's horrible. Pretty much any decent modern game is well beyond that technical level, so instead of being cheap fucks, they really should develop a new engine. It's not like Skyrim (AND Fallout 4) have sold poorly.

People talk about how they "need" to change the engine all the time, but I think it's one of those "armchair developer" things. Obviously, if Bethesda found the engine wanting, or saw a better solution that would improve their games and sales, they'd jump on it. It's abundantly clear that their engine does the things they want it to do, and that they're not going to change engines until/unless there's a better engine for the things they want to do.

Seeing as Bethesda's brand of open world is unique in gaming, I'm comfortable assuming that there currently is no better solution than what they use.

Venture

TES games need to continue to be a fantasy sandbox. Every part of the design should facilitate this. Skyrim did a decent job, but they should lean even further into it. Ditch the "main quest" and just focus on guilds, factions, side quests, and maybe some sort of custom dynamic quest system for each player based on their class, skills, reputation, etc.

A mix between the radiant quest system and the Nemesis system that will replace the standard Bethesda main quest.
I really like this and it's something I've mentioned before, although for Fallout instead of Elder Scrolls.

camac002

Pretty much any decent modern game is well beyond that technical level, so instead of being cheap fucks, they really should develop a new engine. It's not like Skyrim (AND Fallout 4) have sold poorly.

Yep. I can understand that changing the underlying technology of a game costs a lot of money, but they are raking in the dough now. I don't wanna hear about how small the team is and all that. Spend some fucken money on your own game and hire people to get the job done.

Luigiv

Like everyone else is saying, combat should be their number one priority, but on top of that, other changes I'd like to see are more structured level design, better third person animation and more response and fluid feeling traversal. Every time I try to play an Elder Scroll game, the combination of those elements always inhibits me from getting in the grove and I usually get bored and quit within half an hour.

MCN

Banned
They could probably find a new way to start the game than "You're a prisoner, but now you're not and you've been pardoned". Let me choose a background, then drop me in the world. Let me seek out the quest and story on my own. Let me play my own role.

There's a Skyrim mod to do this, and I can't play without it now.

I'd say the magic system since that's what I liked playing around with the most in TES games and it was fairly disappointing and boring in Skyrim. Bring back spell crafting, and things like mark and recall.

Also faction quests. The mages college line was terrible, 5 quests and you're archmage. Actually make real quests that help people and advancement requirements like in Morrowind.

Also I would lose my mind if they took even half of the physics and interactivity of BotW. I wanna rip a tree out of the ground with telekenesis and fling it at a group of bandits. Those type of physics and systems would greatly enhance the combat even without changing the hand to hand system (which should still be overhauled).

I very much like your idea of tying quests to skills. What if, just like guilds, skills had their own quest lines? Let's say ten quests each, with each quest unlocking the next tier of quest levels. More precisely, you unlock the first quest at level 10 of each skill, and the remaining skill points are locked until you complete that quest. Ibidem for level 20, 30, 40, etc. quests. Or, if this proves to be too restrictive for players, the player does not need to complete the quests in order to level the skill until he reaches level 90, at which time he or she needs to do the quest line until the penultimate quest in order to unlock the last 10 skill points. And once level 100 is reached, their is one final quest to cap off the storyline, and once complete, it grants you a kickass perk. How does that sound?

I will say that I very much dislike the idea of bringing diablo-like random loot to this series. TES is not that kind of game. I want accomplishment and exploration to reward the player, not chance.

And it is for this reason also that I do not want the game to gate-off higher-tiered weapons. If I know where to find a killer weapon, let me go get it as soon as the game starts. I would do this in Morrowind. On my new playthroughs, I would get the Boots of Blinding Speed, create a spell that negated 100% spells for 1 second, cast that spell, quickly open the menu and equip the boots, then gun for that one sword found in a cave in the southeast of the island somewhere. It felt awesome. Reward exploration.

Here are some of my ideas on how to improve the series:

Bring back the spell creation system. That thing was fantastic. You could create a bunch of crazy shit that let you do whatever. They probably removed it because they thought it would break the game... but that's what's fun! In BotW, you can do all sorts of crazy shit with the spells and the physics. That's what Nintendo intended for players to do and it's fantastic! Bethesda should embrace that.

Movement. In Morrowind, you could climb anything short of a 90-degree wall by awkwardly jumping at certain angles. While I'm sure the devs did not intend for this to be a thing, it had the positive effect of enabling players to voyage anywhere they wanted and incentivized them to explore in any directions. TES:VI should embrace that. I'll be blunt and say straight-up: the game should copy BotW and allow the player to climb anything by using stamina.

In Morrowind, just like in BotW, you could gun straight for the last boss from the very beginning of the game. Let us do this again.

Lastly, the next TES game should have quests not designed around the player blindly following the quest arrow.

Tyaren

A more interesting and engaging main story and more interesting characters.
I haven't finished the stories of Oblivion nor Skyrim, even though I played them each for over 100 hours.
Character models and animations have to improve as well. I just can't take any of the characters seriously the way they look and move.

Oh, and less bugs and glitches at release. Those severely diminished the fun I had with the games. I was always on guard something strange, maybe even gamebreaking might happen. Which happened a couple of times. Mostly in Oblivion.

They could probably find a new way to start the game than "You're a prisoner, but now you're not and you've been pardoned". Let me choose a background, then drop me in the world. Let me seek out the quest and story on my own. Let me play my own role.

There's a Skyrim mod to do this, and I can't play without it now.

Can I also not escape through the goddamned sewers the first 20 minutes? Looking at you, every other Bethesda game

Ripenen

1. Outsource all writing and quest design to Obsidian.

2. Create more variety in the world. In Oblivion there were swamps, mountains, plains, forests, even the psychedelic alternate world in the expansion. Skyrim had a bunch of mountains with snow. It was very drab and not much fun to explore.

Top Bottom