• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What does the next Elder Scrolls game need to improve upon most?

stn

Better quests. Good boss fights. An actual loot system that encourages you to explore and do quests for rare items.

We need a new engine. Fallout 4 proved how dated the gamebryo based on they're currently using is. After an engine upgrade, we need to talk about improving the side quests and bringing them up to the standards other games are held to.

Sephzilla

The game engine. And by that I mean scrap the current engine and use something new, which would hopefully have a trickle down affect to things like combat and animations. Elder Scrolls feels janky as hell these days.

I wish that every dialog scene that involved you making choices on a wheel was shot in a cinematic way with body animation and facial animation present and camera angles/shots.

If a game is going to have a dialog system where the only real work the player has to do is choosing dialog options, why not make it look as good and movie like as possible? There's so much of this in Bethesda games and it's always so terrible imo. Characters just stand still and waddle with a generic facial expression that isn't tied to the emotion of the dialog.

I just worry thatgames like Mass Effect Andromeda and Dragon Age Inquisition have copied that approach so now Bethesda may view it as an awesome, industry standard setting feature rather than something that needs to be addressed.

Fbh

2 things IMO:

Combat: Should be the number one priority. This is easily the worst issue with the franchise right now. These games would be amazing if one of the major game mechanics wasn't this bad. Combat is what you spend at least half of your time doing and if it's crap then your game is crap.
The combat in Skyrim isn't "decent" or "average", IMO it's just downright bad. Melee combat in particular is terrible to play and even looks bad. Hits should have more impact, there should be better flow to the combat, hopefully make it more skill based and mabye even add moves or skills (look at how Shadow Warrior handles powers for example).
Also stop with the scaling of enemies. You kill any sence of progression if after 80 hours and having the legendray swords and killing ancient dragons for breakfast I'm still getting my ass kicked by a fucking bear.

Story: This is, of course, just my opinion, but I find both the world and stories from TES and Skyrim in particular to be mediocre. I still remember NPC's and characters from games I played 20 years ago, but I spent like 50 hours with Skyrim and can't remember a single character from that game.
With how these games are made focusing on doing what you want and go explore I'd love to see them create a world like the one of The Witcher 3. Where the main plot is pretty standard and by the numbers but the world itself is filled with interesting, complex and unique characters and stories to encounter.

Also loot. But I think that would be more tied to the combat system.
If the combat system is actually good then mabye movesets, skills and various types of build become more relevant than just stats. That way you can make offer a higher variety of viable weapons and make rewards for quests feel worth it instead of fighting the ancient spirit of a legendary warrior inside a secret temple only to be rewarded with crappy gear

Good luck finding an engine that can handle this..

18j159ooeap5hjpg.jpg

And even if you do it will probably be a buggy mess again..

I'd rather have an engine which provides good visuals and performane over having stuff like this

Morokh

'Better story' really is a 'be careful what you wish for" type of thing.

Fallout 4 is their latest attempt at better story and we all saw how it turned out.

Not only that, but one of the strengths of ES compared to other open world games is how you can actually completely ignore the actual story and build your own within it's world.

The ES series, like the way they did Fallout since they took it over is kind of a Minecraft type of deal, where the whole package is enough to go on for a quick playthrough, but where if you take every bit on it's own everything is deeply flawed.
Overall they just need to stop over-simplifying things and litterally assume that their players are stupid, and it'll be a major step in the right direction.

Staf

I suppose this isn't so much an improvement from previous games as it is learning a lesson from Fallout 4 player feedback, but please for the love of all that is holy...

No voiced protaganist.

That shit killed my immersion in Fallout 4.

Also I agree with OP and whatever everyone else is saying. A new engine is definitely needed for the series to keep up with it's contemporaries. Gamebryo is creaking at the seams.

That and the terrible, terrible dialogue system.

2 things IMO:

Combat: Should be the number one priority. This is easily the worst issue with the franchise right now. These games would be amazing if one of the major game mechanics wasn't this bad. Combat is what you spend at least half of your time doing and if it's crap then your game is crap.
The combat in Skyrim isn't "decent" or "average", IMO it's just downright bad. Melee combat in particular is terrible to play and even looks bad. Hits should have more impact, there should be better flow to the combat, hopefully make it more skill based and mabye even add moves or skills (look at how Shadow Warrior handles powers for example).
Also stop with the scaling of enemies. You kill any sence of progression if after 80 hours and having the legendray swords and killing ancient dragons for breakfast I'm still getting my ass kicked by a fucking bear.

Story: This is, of course, just my opinion, but I find both the world and stories from TES and Skyrim in particular to be mediocre. I still remember NPC's and characters from games I played 20 years ago, but I spent like 50 hours with Skyrim and can't remember a single character from that game.
With how these games are made focusing on doing what you want and go explore I'd love to see them create a world like the one of The Witcher 3. Where the main plot is pretty standard and by the numbers but the world itself is filled with interesting, complex and unique characters and stories to encounter.

I'd rather have an engine which provides good visuals and performane over having stuff like this

Then buy a different game. This is what Bethesda does, and they're the only one who does it.

It isn't going to change.

TES can't be The Witcher 4, no matter how badly people want it. TES games *can't* have a strong narrative because the main character can be anything. They need to lean into their strengths, which are ambiance and world building.

Anyway, combat has to change. The combat was already a bit stale back in Morrowind, now it's embarrassing. And would it kill Bethesda to make people, as another GAFer put it, "not look like their heads were carved out of potatoes"?

Staf

TES can't be The Witcher 4, no matter how badly people want it. TES games *can't* have a strong narrative because the main character can be anything. They need to lean into their strengths, which are ambiance and world building.

Anyway, combat has to change. The combat was already a bit stale back in Morrowind, now it's embarrassing. And would it kill Bethesda to make people, as another GAFer put it, "not look like their heads were carved out of potatoes"?

I love Witcher 3. I love Skyrim. I don't want Witcher 3 in my Skyrim or vice versa. Either give me a game with strong story and characters or a flexible game with a blank slate protagonist with a huge reactive world to interact with and roleplay. Try and achieve both and you end up with Fallout 4 which, in my opinion, failed in both regards.

Fbh

Then buy a different game. This is what Bethesda does, and they're the only one who does it.

So instead of trying to improve the franchise now that games like The Witcher 3 and Breath of the Wild have raised the bar they should be contempt to be the rpg where you can throw stuff on the ground? Awesome.

I mean, sure it's cool you can pick up so many different things. But if that's more important than decent visuals and performance (on consoles) then at least make something interesting with the game mechanic.

NervousXtian

Thought Emoji Movie was good. Take that as you will.
I hope for all that is holy, that they don't listen to NeoGAF about the combat.

It's fine.

Don't fuck with it too much. It's not why we play the game.

I don't usually agree with this line of thought, but for TES I agree with you. If you don't like the combat of TES.. go play a different game.

People going down this route of complaining about combat mechanics is how we ended up with shit like FF13.

The game is NOT about skill based combat. RPG's in general never have been about skill based, precision reflex combat. It'd be a mistake to change it.

Why not ask the Souls series to become more open like TES then?

Writing. It was just fine with Morrowind, what the hell happened after? Or was it just a fluke?

Morrowind wasn't fully voiced (which in my opinion is a very good thing) so they were happy to write thousands and thousands of lines of dialogue to help develop the story. Unlike in Skyrim when there are maybe 15 voice actors voicing about 500 NPCs, each with maybe 2 lines of dialogue if we're lucky.

Well...
  • Combat.
  • Characters in general could really do with some work. Having some prominent NPCs with their own arcs would be cool
  • More choices & flexibility regarding quests - atm for the most part your only real choice is whether to accept a quest or not. Having different quests actually interact with each other would also be cool
  • Some actual consequences & reactions depending on who you are and what you've done - I get that this can be difficult to implement but something more then some throwaway comments from the guards would be nice.
Despite it's drawbacks I still love Skyrim though, so I'm down for the next TES game even if no major changes happen.

Falchion

Skyrim is the only Elder Scrolls game I've beaten but the combat felt clunky and less than satisfying even then. I ended up using a lot of offensive magic just because it felt good to cast ice or fire instead of swinging a sword.

Good luck finding an engine that can handle this..

18j159ooeap5hjpg.jpg

And even if you do it will probably be a buggy mess again..

Is it really important that spoon and forks are physics object? I'd prefer they'd cut that feature if that means the death of cells and support of seamless transitions (outdoors to cities, every single house interior, actual caverns physically there, etc)

J-Spot

I think my biggest beef with Skyrim is actually the way crafting works within the level up system. The whole system where you level up skills by actually using them works out fine for everything else, but for any of the crafting perks you're pretty much forced to tediously grind out shit you don't need to get your abilities anywhere near useful. You would never get something like smithing or enchanting up by just naturally using it when needed so you end up cranking out hundreds of items just to raise your level.

Raven77

I honestly feel that if they completely changed the combat and character movement it would no longer feel like the elder scrolls we've come to know.

I personally love it because the "issues" with it are simply part of the gameplay for me and I wouldn't want it any other way. Although I must admit I do tons of archery and never focus too heavily on melee.

bradido

The #1 thing I would like to see in the next ES is Oblivion-quality quests. Skyrim did a lot of things right, like leveling, perks, etc., but there we no quests as good as:
  • Missing painter
  • The locked mansion
  • Invisible assassin
  • Almost all the daedric shrine quests
  • Inn at the ship
  • The ultimate heist
  • Assassin's Guild (the best quest ever IMO)

The only quests that comes *close* in Skyrim is the "Hangover" quest. I love Skyrim but the "go here and kill draugr" quests muddied the waters so much my enthusiasm for all quests was greatly diminished.

I think ES (and Fallout) should drop the engine that auto-generates quests all together. It lowers the quality of the game and Bethesda games have plenty of content without it.

DrD

Emergent gameplay. Look at Zelda: BotW and Dishonored as more recent examples of the direction they should go for. Quests become much more interesting when you have limitless ways of completing them. Tie the physics into the gameplay. I should be able to use magic to pick up all the junk I drop on the floor and throw it at my enemies. Make the world more vertical with being able to climb things and abilities like blink from Dishonored. Get help from Arkane.

Heartfyre

Quests and writing. Skyrim is a vapid place, and has the worst guilds and quest lines in the series, not even having a jot on Oblivion, not to mention Morrowind. With such a rich and evocative lore, there is absolutely no reason for the game to have the stilted and monochrome setting that Skyrim has. I don't know how anyone could feel satisfied exploring that place -- I was left bored to tears by the end.

Bethesda won't heed that advice, though. Fallout 4 is proof of that.

eizarus

Banned
People talk about how they "need" to change the engine all the time, but I think it's one of those "armchair developer" things. Obviously, if Bethesda found the engine wanting, or saw a better solution that would improve their games and sales, they'd jump on it. It's abundantly clear that their engine does the things they want it to do, and that they're not going to change engines until/unless there's a better engine for the things they want to do.

Seeing as Bethesda's brand of open world is unique in gaming, I'm comfortable assuming that there currently is no better solution than what they use.
Either their horrible with their own engine or they need a new one. The sheer level of bugs and jank is beyond almost any game of their calibre. You might be comfortable with your assumption, but there's clearly something not clicking.

I should be able to use magic to pick up all the junk I drop on the floor and throw it at my enemies.

You already can. Telekinesis.

Either their horrible with their own engine or they need a new one. The sheer level of bugs and jank is beyond almost any game of their calibre. You might be comfortable with your assumption, but there's clearly something not clicking.

To their credit Fallout 4 is the least buggy game Bethesda has ever made.

NervousXtian

Thought Emoji Movie was good. Take that as you will.
Is it really important that spoon and forks are physics object? I'd prefer they'd cut that feature if that means the death of cells and support of seamless transitions (outdoors to cities, every single house interior, actual caverns physically there, etc)

Well, yes.

It's part of what makes them immersive.

I'd suggest that shit like the bolded is really important.

People who complain about the combat in TES are missing the game for what it is, and want it to be something it isn't.

..also the engine is fine. What other engine is really doing anything close to what Bethesda is doing with TES/Fallout?

kiyomi

Honestly? Everything.

I'd love to see a complete rethink of what makes TES and Fallout tick. They're trying to hold on to minimal elements of the past in order to make it feel like they haven't truly abandoned their "RPG" status, when in fact, they have, they just don't have the nous to pull it off.

They either need to fully go down the road of making their games more action focused, or take a different route and go for a more traditional role-playing system. I don't mind which, so long as it's compelling and fun to play.

Their writing has stunk for a decade and a half now, between frigid characters and forgettable stories. I think this extends to the lore and worlds they inhabit. TES feels so derivative at this point that it has no identity of its own. It's just another western fantasy game.

People will probably disagree with me but I think their environment design and approach to building believable worlds needs a real overhaul. I see a lot of people say that TES and Fallout are immersive, but to me, they're anything but. They've always felt very cookie cutter in the sense that it does really feel like they create a bunch of assets and then slap them around their world, only vaguely making an effort to make it feel cohesive. I actually think this was one place Fallout 4 improved, the world was a little smaller, but it felt more packed with unique buildings and areas.

Besides that, their engine and AI systems need to be completely rethought. Skyrim was not a living, breathing world. It was a world where you could see the cogs moving, the gears slowly grinding and all the ticks and tocks of each NPC's existence. They need to move past that.

Combat and movement need major overhauls. All the fantasy rpg story tropes don't bother me, but clunky gameplay certainly does.

After playing Skyrim I thought they should have some kind of climbing skill. Awkwardly trying to jump up the side of a mountain sucks, and I want to explore.

Well, yes.

It's part of what makes them immersive.

I'd suggest that shit like the bolded is really important.

People who complain about the combat in TES are missing the game for what it is, and want it to be something it isn't.

..also the engine is fine. What other engine is really doing anything close to what Bethesda is doing with TES/Fallout?

It's possible to improve without doing something entirely different.

We want improvements .. Right now that system is bad for many players because it doesn't have the right balance.

It's like the leveling system . many games have such a system but they cap the range so you can feel the difference.
The game lack a sense of progression and a reason to experiment other than " experiment otherwise you'll bored out of your mind" .

And no the engine is not fine.. It's not optimised for starters .. and the fact that it save everything you do is USELESS in 99% of the situations you encounter and cause memory management problems just because the game get slightly prettier each time doesn't mean that the underlining problem with the engine isn't there.
When you have the same technical problems across 4+ games since morrowind it's time to LET GO of that freaking engine

Peltz

For me the biggest thing they need to return to is how they did quest design and general world design in Morrowind.

Skyrim's excessive use of quest and world markers ruins the landscape/world they designed. You are often just given a marker with very brief instructions that would not be useful without the marker, and sometimes no instructions at all and just the marker when looking for a location or person.

In Morrowind, you were told directions to head in, where someone may be, and you had to make your own way there, ask for directions, read over your journal, traveling in Morrowind felt like a real journey/adventure, not just running to a marker. There was no instant marker telling me where this person was that I was supposed to go seek out for example - an important part of every quest is the adventuring, and that is something lost in a lot of RPGs.

Bethesda has always been pretty good at designing their landscape which is fun to explore but also been stripping away part of what makes their landscape, the unknown for you, fun to journey in. If everything is a marker it really ruins that. Also it's not as if you can just ignore the markers because the game solely relies on it, there isn't sufficient information from NPCs and quest text/voice acting, and your journal otherwise.

Morrowind wasn't about being blind, it was like being truly dropped in that world, not knowing ANYTHING about it (as it is in the story of the game when you arrive), and you have to learn about the region you are in, you have to learn about the cultures, the landscape, directions, all by interacting with NPCs and exploring. That is something completely lost in each TES game. You don't have to *learn* about the world you are in with Skyrim, but in Morrowind you could not actually play the game by taking the time and roleplaying, and talking to NPCs etc. You would not know where to go if you didn't do that. I finished replaying Morrowind and Gothic II 2 months ago (just with graphics improvement mods), and both are still in my opinion the best open world games ever made, Bethesda needs to replay their own masterpiece.

Also, stop the level scaling system, it is ridiculous, mods like Morrowloot make Skyrim such a better game as well.

I'd also like to see a better melee combat system, something similar to what Kingdom Come: Deliverance is doing but it doesn't need that level of complexity (although it would be nice), because that combat system for that game plays a huge role in its attempt of not being a fantasy game but a medieval historical game.

Yo this^

BotW was the first open world game since Morrowind to nail this feeling. I hope Bethesda and other RPG makers take note of the lack of quest markers and give us more exploration based on interacting with NPCs and the environment and less based on quest marker/guided arrow bullshit.

Don't even make quest markers optional. Remove them from the game and design around the lack of them so we can actually feel lost in a giant world.

Nielm

Better writing and quests.

The reason I prefer Oblivion to Skyrim is because I thought the side quests, and the main quests, were much more interesting.

Carlius

Banned
combat needs to change, so do the side quests. skyrim was boring to me just like elder scrolls online is. i love the open world but i want more substance. i hope they learn form zelda and witcher.

Skyrim was already the first game built upon Creation Engine.

The creation engine is just another branch of gamebryo .. it still carries the same underlining problems gamebryo has.

Back then in 2011 , it had problems , the same problem found in F4 .

They need to change that freaking engine

Sotha_Sil

A smaller world with less bloat and more time to focus on making unique and creative experiences. The gameplay loop would also be less repetitive - aka Shivering Isles, Point Lookout, Dragonborn, and Far Harbor.

Mesoian

New Engine.

Also they need to understand that finishing a quest line doesn't necessarily have to result in you becoming the king of said faction. It doesn't make sense and it feels really hollow.

"This guy is the leader of the theives guild and hte college of magic and the thane of every keep and the leader of the companions AND..., but naw, never heard of him?"

Sulik2

Bugs, combat, characters and quest design all need to take a lesson from the Witcher 3 and Dark Souls. The broken, janky world and generic fetch quest design need to die and combat needs to be overhauled completely.

Hahs

An actual economy that we can interact with if we choose to have a profession.

An opportunity to be a blacksmith and make custom weapons (based on my XP/skill) with different abilities/strengths)

My skill/xp would determine the quality/weakness (the higher the skill/xp the better the quality, and unique customization options)

I could then put these up for sale on a bulletin boards of sorts or even sign a contract with in-game vendors (for an in-game fee (you decide the split)) which other players could see and purchase from the vendors themselves in their playthroughs

Imagine be a lumberjack selling wood to a carpenter who makes specialized furniture for player homes...

BouncyFrag

-Better quests that make use of the massive amount of lore TES has. Special emphasis on the batshif crazy lore too

-More voice actors so I don't feel like I'm bumping into the same 5 npcs every ten minutes that say the exact same things

-More guilds that have rivalries/conflicts with other guilds

-NO VOICED PROTAGONIST

Cartho

I'm genuinely stunned that people are saying things like "combat is fine" and "we don't play the game for the combat".

It's boggling my mind that a game where fighting is literally one of the main things that you do is being excused for having a truly horrendous combat system.

Sorry, stealth archery may be fine but try destruction magic / melee some time. It's total ass. It's floaty, totally lacking in impact, poorly balanced and completely unsatisfying. Just because the game is an RPG doesn't mean that melee combat, which is a pretty huge part of the game, should boil down to skill free button mashing.

I mean someone said that RPGs in general haven't had skill based combat. Really? If you're going to have combat in an RPG it either needs to be either: strategic, like CRPGs such as Divinity or Pillars of Eternity, where "skill" comes down to how you strategise and utilise character abilities etc. Or: it needs to be real time like Elder Scrolls in which case it needs to require some ability on the part of the player and it needs to feel satisfying.

At the moment TES is neither strategic nor satisfying. If you're playing a melee fighter it's just a case of running in and mashing the attack button till either they or you die and if you're a magic character it's... erm... spamming weak ass fireballs which feel like spitballs until you run out of mana and then have to chug potions while running around dodging the enemy who hasn't really lost much hp.

People go on and on about how TES has this wonderful physics system where you can pick up loads of random junk and throw it about. However when it comes to combat which, as I've said before, is a HUGE part of the game whether some people on here like it or not, the physics system plays hardly any part at all. It's so superficial and games like BOTW are making TES look totally outdated.

johntown

Banned
Combat - this should be the number 1 thing they improve.

Stop dumbing down the game - this "should" be an RPG where you have stats to manage and a ton of abilities, weapons and armor to manage as well. Ever since Morrowind they have steadily been removing abilities and and things from the game. Please don't make it perks only like Fallout 4.

Choices and decisions that actually matter - These games (not just Bethesda) are starting to make it where you can never fail, you have no real good or evil and nothing you do really matters. Give me more shades of gray, if I join the Dark Brotherhood and start killing people make something happen beside overhearing people talking in the street. Maybe I want to help Necromancers? If I do of course help evil there should be some price to pay.

Par Score

I'd want them to go back and look at Morrowind, then look at BotW, and work out how Nintendo beat them at their own game.

I also hope they've learned from Fallout 4 and lean away from voiced protagonists.

It's also been time for a new engine for about a decade.

Combat: Lots of third person action games provide examples for how to offer better combat systems (Dark Souls and Dragons Dogma are two that spring to mind), and its clear Bethesda needs to fundamentally reassess how basic combat is performed in order to make the core game play a lot more compelling and fun. This is probably the area that I would argue Bethesda should focus the most on in developing any new game; a slightly more refined version of Skyrim's combat simply wont cut it.

The absolute last thing I want from TES games is fucking Dark Souls style combat.

There are games out there for people that like that shit, keep it the hell away from TES.

Could the combat be better? Sure. But I don't play these games for the combat, so I really don't want it to be something they focus on or make challenging.

Bugs, combat, characters and quest design all need to take a lesson from the Witcher 3 and Dark Souls. The broken, janky world and generic fetch quest design need to die and combat needs to be overhauled completely.

I don't know if it's the way you're phrasing it, but are you really suggesting that the Witcher 3 has good combat? Or at least better combat than Skyrim?

Honestly, while Skyrim's combat is pretty crappy, the Witcher 3's is absolutely awful. I don't know how they managed to make it so bland and so terrible to control.

It could certainly take some cues from Dark Souls though, especially when it comes to the weight behind attacks and hits.

Top Bottom