• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What Else Should The PSP Do?

Nicco

It plays music, movies, and is a voice-translator...oh yeah it it plays games too. What other handy functions should the PSP have?

mj1108

You should be able to walk away from an AC outlet long enough to go outside to play it before the battery dies.

I have gotten rather attached to my Palm Pilot. so organizer features would be a nice way to eliminate my current need to carry my Palm Pilot and GBA.

I mean simple features, like a calendar and list option. I don't want a Tapwave

Second as an super graphing calculator that can do my intragrals for me, oh, and it should be able to dispense kleenex.

Brofist

mj1108 said:
You should be able to walk away from an AC outlet long enough to go outside to play it before the battery dies.

Wow pretty witty there. Must have missed the anouncement that the PSP would have 30 seconds of battery life. Or it takes your fat ass 3 hours to squeeze yourself out of your front door.

Nicco

I'm actaually waiting for the GPS capibilities to be announced. The sky obviously is not the limit for this thing anyway, why the hell not.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Since it has Wi-Fi capabilities, it should be able to stream internet radio.
Can you imagine, if say, EA sets up the live internet radio that you can listen to while playing NFS:U online? How easy to do, and cool, would that be? Sure, it's most likely never gonna happen, but I guess I can dream.

User 406

Banned
- Let me write video and audio to UMD discs via USB

- Share PSX2 game saves via memory card adapter or USB

- Have a second analog stick on the lower right

- Have two more shoulder buttons <-- I know, totally unreasonable on my part, but I want a portable PSX2. :p

pcostabel

Gold Member
You guys are funny... NOT!

The PSP hardware is so sexy it would be a shame if it wasn't used for more than games.

Some random ideas:

- Internet Browsing

- GPS based navigation system

- PDA functionality

- TV receiver

- Video chat

- universal remote controller

- ebook reader

Phoenix

pcostabel said:
You guys are funny... NOT!

The PSP hardware is so sexy it would be a shame if it wasn't used for more than games.

Some random ideas:

- Internet Browsing

- GPS based navigation system

- PDA functionality

- TV receiver

- Video chat

- universal remote controller

- ebook reader

Yes, being able to use the device for all of 60 seconds would be great. I'm sure it willrun out of power right past the Sony logo trying to power all of that.

Tabris

I don't get why people complain the PSP does too much.

What does it do?

- Plays UMD movies
- Plays music through memory sticks
- Plays Video Games.
- Plays Online Games.

Basically the same as PS2, except memory stick = cd and umd = dvd for that.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Just keep doing what it's doing: pissing off inflexible fanboys by its mere existence. ;)

I'm sure it willrun out of power right past the Sony logo trying to power all of that.
Because I'm sure he meant for all those things to be running at once :rolleyes

In all seriousness, I would most like to see the PSP support all existing versions of the Memory Stick media, not just the Pro Duo media. Ebooks would be nice as well. Max out on the wifi possibilities.

Fight for Freeform said:

Easily accomplished with Internet Explorer and WMP9....oh, wait.

In all honesty though, if I can stream on my PDA, I'd like to see a browser and some Winamp luv.

iapetus

Scary Euro Man
BuddyChrist83 said:
be worth my money. zing!

If you have to say 'zing', you haven't zinged.

And can people with no clue as to what reduces battery life and what doesn't please keep their stupidity to themselves? Next we'll see the ranting about how DS should drop the touchscreen so that the graphics resolution can go up.

GhaleonEB

iapetus said:
If you have to say 'zing', you haven't zinged.

And can people with no clue as to what reduces battery life and what doesn't please keep their stupidity to themselves? Next we'll see the ranting about how DS should drop the touchscreen so that the graphics resolution can go up.

Wait, the touch screen limits the resolution?

The PSP should be compatible with Minidisc. Why not?

pcostabel

Gold Member
Phoenix said:
Yes, being able to use the device for all of 60 seconds would be great. I'm sure it willrun out of power right past the Sony logo trying to power all of that.

The only functionality that could be power intensive is the GPS/WiFi stuff.
I don't see how PDA or ebook functions would be any more power hungry than games.
Not sure about webcam, I don't think it should be too bad. Cell phones have it. Even a TV receiver should be relatively cheap, powerwise.

Sea Manky said:
- Let me write video and audio to UMD discs via USB

- Share PSX2 game saves via memory card adapter or USB

Or at the fucking least, put a goddamned Hi-MD drive in there (it's already going to be oodly expensive) so that we can fucking burn music into it, since Sony is too chickenshit to even entertain the thought of burnable UMD. Run on sentences are fun.

ATRAC is bad enough, but having to put them on a MEMORY STICK? Jesus fuck.

Agent X

Fight for Freeform said:

TEH WINNAR!

Seriously, that was an excellent idea there. Streaming video should be possible, too.

Marconelly said:
Can you imagine, if say, EA sets up the live internet radio that you can listen to while playing NFS:U online? How easy to do, and cool, would that be? Sure, it's most likely never gonna happen, but I guess I can dream.

I had a similar idea, where it could be implemented in a Grand Theft Auto game. You could choose between the canned stations on the disc, or streaming radio from the Internet.

Top Bottom