• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What should Rocksteady do next?

What Rocksteady should do next?

• Batman game

Votes: 43 30.3%
  • Superman game

Votes: 19 13.4%
  • Suicide Squad 2

Votes: 14 9.9%
  • Other DC game

Votes: 7 4.9%
  • A new IP

Votes: 59 41.5%

• Total voters

VulcanRaven

What they should do next? The safest option would be a new Batman game of course and I don't think it needs to be connected to the Arkham universe. I'm suprised WB Games hasn't made one yet. Arkham Knight was released 9 years ago. One option would be the Superman game many have been asking for. It might not be easy but wouldn't be as risky as Suicide Squad. Superman Returns movie game already nailed the flying part. Maybe they could combine the Batman and Superman games.

Last edited:

SHA

Superman, not the Henry Cavill type, cause Clark is definitely not a gamer, should be alpha male, they could make it right, just put Henry out of the equation.

Rocksteady are one of few Western developers that can make gameplay mechanics.

They should be making a Wonder Woman game with parry mechanic. Inspired by Sekiro but made easy like Wo Long.

I know another studio is making WW game. But IMO Rocksteady should do it.

Edit: whatever they make i doubt its gonna be GAAS or Batman Arkham. That story is done.

Last edited:
Fire the responsible people who wanted Suicide Squad and tried to force its success in movies and games.

And then do a smaller Batman Beyond or anything that is truly the game someone wants to make.

They need to repair their reputation, and releasing another comic book related game won't help it, I think. Because they pissed off that crowd.

So maybe making something entirely original and interesting, would be the way to go.

No "live services", or anything.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
They had the chops to do a Superman game justice, pun not intended, and now it's probably all over.

survive-objective.png

They brought the free flow combat system scourge into videogames and i don't really care that much about batman or comics so i'm pretty indifferent about their future.
I get that. But those games also have stealth mechanics which are great.

Batmobile in AK was very precise and intuitive to use once you learned it.

They also put detective vision in their games that sucks. But usually their level design is good enough it doesn’t trivialise exploration.

All in all they do impressive work.

John Bilbo

I am currently playing Arkham City. I love it. The care for the legacy of Batman shines through the game.

I hope they do something they are passionate about.

STARSBarry

Gold Member
I mean... haven't the original founders already left and taken most the talent with them?

It's a bit like asking "what do you want modern Bioware to do?" In fact it's so funny that both of these studios have fumbled so hard trying to make a GaaS game at the beck and call of their suited masters.

Do people actually trust current Rock Steady to make a good game? They will just be full of yes men who have been hired in to agree with whatever Suity McMicrostransactions tells them to do.

Last edited:

GymWolf

I get that. But those games also have stealth mechanics which are great.

Batmobile in AK was very precise and intuitive to use once you learned it.

They also put detective vision in their games that sucks. But usually their level design is good enough it doesn’t trivialise exploration.

All in all they do impressive work.
Their stealth system is uber simple and easy (but it was something new for the times at least) and the batmobile made me hate and leave arkham knight after like 10 hours of gameplay.

Personally, they haven't made a game that i liked since arkham city, and i already liked arkham city way less than asylum.

Like i said, i don't really care what they do next, especially if it still has free flow combat.

John Bilbo

Other people are already doing a ww game with the nemesys system from mordor games.
That could be cool.

Arkham City has the interrogation system they borrowed to Shadow of Mordor games. I was just wondering yesterday what if a Batman game had the nemesis system borrowed in return with Batman villains instead of orcs.

Edit: typo

Last edited:

winjer

Gold Member
Considering that most of the talent that made the original Arkham games, has left the company, I don't have any hopes that this studio can produce anything good, ever again.
Chances are that the next game they make is going to be another turd.

GymWolf

That could be cool.

Arkham City has the interrogation system they borrowed to Shadow of Mordor games. I was just wondering yesterday what if a Batman game had the nemesis system borrowed I return with Batman villains instead of orcs.
I just don't think the nemesys system is gonna work with thugs and generic metahuman bandits like it did in mordor.

With orcs they had a freedom and tone that they can't replicate in batman\ww game.

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
At the moment, I think the answer to that question, no matter who is being spoken about should be "A new IP".

Maybe I'm getting too old for this shit, but everything is sequels and iterations. And that's not very exciting (to me).

fatmarco

People should recognise that studios change over time.

They aren't the same studio that made the Arkham Trilogy, that was 9 years ago, developers and talent have left, and they aren't in a position to create what we would consider a Rocksteady game.

They're dead, like every other great developer is at a certain point. Move on to the next one. Just be glad they made the games they did.

kyussman

Who cares,they won't recover from this....they created the Arkham trilogy,nothing lasts forever.....the people that made those games have left.WB have huge debts don't they,I doubt any suit over there is falling over themselves to give this studio the green light for a big expensive single player game that will take another 5 years to make....I think they are screwed.

Vick

Sefton Hill is fucking gone. And not sure how many of the artists who made Arkham Knight are part of the studio now.

Rocksteady for a while has been a top 3 studio on the planet for me.. but I just don't have much hope for the future now.

elmos-acc

If we made the false assumption that it would be the same people behind Arkham Knight: Original story in the Blade Runner universe. I know it would be a bad investment with an AAA budget even if it were great. Maybe Dune could be an option too?

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
I voted Batman as the safe option, but thinking about it I'd go with a new IP. They need to get out of the DC universe and their own thing again.

Top Bottom