• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What ever happened to ooVoo on PS4?

A feature that I've really been missing on my PS4 that's been available since launch on Xbox One is some kind of video chat service. Although it was a bit disappointing that there won't be a Skype on PS4, I was fine to settle with ooVoo, though I had never used it prior. Well it's been 7 months since we've heard anything, and it was expected in Q2 of 2015. Anyone know what could be going on? Will we ever see video chat on PS4? Am I the only one who really wants to see this service on PS4?

Here's the last we heard of ooVoo on PS4 AFAIK
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1_3Z5FQ5K9g

All i want is for a small box too come up in the corner (think halo wars NPC kinda thing) of the persons camera i just killed.. (assuming they have one and enabled) would be fucking hilarious to witness the rage lol.

Is this relevant for this conversation? Fuck knows.. but I'm putting it.

Fisty

All i want is for a small box too come up in the corner (think halo wars NPC kinda thing) of the persons camera i just killed.. (assuming they have one and enabled) would be fucking hilarious to witness the rage lol.

Yeah but then the person you killed would be doing the teabagging... LITERALLY

Didn't Burnout Paradise do this?

TheJerit

rK3TdJx.gif

That could make for some hilarious times, for sure..

Just wondering about this myself and found this thread as I was searching on Google for news... has anyone heard anything recently? The last news was "late Q2" and we are now entering Q4... So, hopefully with Firmware 3.0? Really need this feature!

Just wondering about this myself and found this thread as I was searching on Google for news... has anyone heard anything recently? The last news was "late Q2" and we are now entering Q4... So, hopefully with Firmware 3.0? Really need this feature!
I'm waiting on it also. The more casual games like Rockband could really use ooVoo with remote play.

PS4 firmware 3.0 does have the ability to open a sub-account for a child and more parental control options. Both indicate more child-casual games are coming.

Problem is I think ooVoo is going to be fully integrated into the PS4 OS and used for everything. One of it's features is video chatting while watching a common movie via Netflix. That indicates even Netflix integration....DRM needed and Netflix as a PS4 WebMAF app rather than a stand alone 1.1 GB app that does not use any of the PS4 OS stack.

The WebMAF framework has to support ooVoo and all it's uses with other apps and PS4 features/games.

It's now 3/2/16 and the leaks about PS4 firmware 3.5 don't have ooVoo...what is the delay?[/B]

As a Browser standard RTC is still a working draft. That's good news and bad. If Sony is waiting for recommendation status that means they will allow video chat connections between platforms not just within Playstation where an app could support ooVoo between Playstation platforms with their own internal standard..

The good is that they will have to support all the recommended RTC standards.

Video Plus depth for 3D is also part of the RTC standards
. HEVC multi-view plus depth is how 4K IPTV & blu-ray will be supported and I think any 3D going forward with new hardware. Video plus depth requires more processing power but less bandwidth.

Demos of games and videos are also part of the standards.

FYI the UHD TV screen is going to be a web page and the transport layer has to support DASH.

Did something change or was the CES 2015 video not authorized? If not authorized, because there were no plans or the plans are so far in the future that they don't want to release info and they are falling back on "We have no plans to support" just as Sony did with DLNA, CD, UHD Blu-ray etc.

UHD TV (ATSC 3), ATSC's XTV and Vidipath (certified platform) require a browser and W3C extensions. ATSC 3 UHD TVs are probably all Vidipath platforms. This likely means the ooVoo WEB APP is a possible and for the Sony Android TVs ooVoo is available from the Google Store.

Video Chat is coming unless the maturity or lack of it as evidenced by how Playroom was first used is scaring Sony. In that case being last will draw less press when the issues are aired on other platforms.

It's looking more and more like Vidipath for everyone, which is why I thought it would come earlier, will wait for about October and PS4 Firmware 4 which will probably be the Media update to use the Southbridge TEE. ooVoo if it's coming will come then. Two years ago Spain said they would wait for Vidipath with HEVC, perhaps Sony is too. UHD TV, UHD Blu-ray, browser VR (Video plus depth map), Video Chat, Vidipath (DLNA 4) with UHD Blu-ray digital bridge all can use HEVC. Sony has stated publicly that they are counting on 4K to gain market share.

As a security professional I'd like to take this opportunity to recommend against oovoo.

Both my wife and I had people set up oovoo accounts with our email addresses (apparently some young folks in the U.K. don't know their own email addresses).

#1 They don't verify email addresses, so we start getting friend messages and oovoo spam to our email.
#2 Rather than a password reset, if you click through the "forgot password" process they email the user's password to the email address on file. In plain text.

It's terrible security. Now I have a userID and a password for their account, what's the odds they used that elsewhere? This is account hacking 101 stuff. When was the last time you had a company emailing your password to you? Early 2000s?

I logged into their accounts since ooVoo emailed me their password and told them to change their email address in their account by IMing their friends. One never answered, the other just gave me shit for it telling me "go ahead and lock me out, I'll make a new account". What I get for being nice, I guess.

A few of us have twitter complained to them about not verifying emails

https://twitter.com/c_nich/status/697250708085575680

But never got a response.

I wouldn't trust a company like this with your password for anything.

Have we still heard nothing about this since? It's laughable that PS4 is the only console that doesn't currently have video chat...even WiiU has it.

What the hell going on.

Hesh

Have we still heard nothing about this since? It's laughable that PS4 is the only console that doesn't currently have video chat...even WiiU has it.

What the hell going on.

Maybe the whole Playroom livestreaming experiment spooked the hell out of Sony? They easily could allow PS Camera video for group chats but I'm thinking maybe the salacious Playroom streams gave Sony cold feet over allowing such a feature for all. If they do, hopefully they give it enough thought beforehand to ensure that parents can prevent kids from video chatting adults.

androvsky

Maybe the whole Playroom livestreaming experiment spooked the hell out of Sony? They easily could allow PS Camera video for group chats but I'm thinking maybe the salacious Playroom streams gave Sony cold feet over allowing such a feature for all. If they do, hopefully they give it enough thought beforehand to ensure that parents can prevent kids from video chatting adults.
You can do group video chat on the PS3.

The days I want to use my PS4 for anything but playing games, watching YouTube and listening to music have long since past.

These features would be nice but as we are approaching the midpoint in the generations lifecycle, it feels far too late to gain any traction.

Sony disables anything on the Vita that has an API change, including Facebook and Google Maps, instead of updating the app to the new API.
Or is it Sony is not updating the browser providing the new APIs and anything that requires a new API breaks so Sony deletes the APP.

One of the criticisms of Sony is that they are not timely in updating the browser like Google or Apple. This leads to the belief that the HTML5 browser is not a priority or it's worthless due to the lack of features. BUT the HTML5 browser is key to Vidipath and UHD media. HTML5 <video> is how Vidipath plays streaming video, DLNA is how it streams using the C-ENC format with either WMDRM or Playready ND and the UI is again HTML5.

WMDRM is listed as in the PS4 as is Playready porting kit 3 (UHD DRM) which supports Vidipath coming for the PS4 and the PS4 and PS3 have Playready Embedded and Vidipath coming from a job posting and PDFs sent to the FCC.

Both the PS3 and PS4 will need a browser update to support HTML5 <video> MSE EME which will be used with Vidipath and the same native library that supports this is also used for video chat. We should assume that it's all coming with the same firmware update for Southbridge and not cross ooVoo off the list just yet.

With an embedded Vidipath, Playready DRM and player all media metadata is properly supported including Antenna TV flags. It will no longer be necessary to lock down the console browser features and the game console can support a browser that gives features similar to PCs. All commercial Media is encrypted and can be stored anywhere via USB or LAN. Vidipath TV tuners (Cable or Antenna TV) can be used or even UHD/HD blu-ray Digital bridge.

Or is it Sony is not updating the browser providing the new APIs and anything that requires a new API breaks so Sony deletes the APP.
It has absolutely nothing to do what you're suggesting, and "updating the browser providing the new API" makes me wonder if you understand how any of this works. Facebook and Google both sunset API versions after a certain period of time. (Facebook used to be almost obnoxiously aggressive about this a few years ago, making app-breaking changes with no notice and conflicting documentation.) If you make a call that either no longer exists, now expects different input/validation, and/or now returns data in a different form than your app expects, it'll break. Rather than go to the time or effort to make those necessary revisions, Sony seemingly just decided to remove support entirely instead.

Sony confirmed that this is the case for YouTube:

The service provider is upgrading their API for YouTube, and this has made it difficult for SCE to continue support of the application on PS Vita.

I have every expectation that's the case for Facebook as well. Google Maps may be the same story, although Sony makes it sound like more of a shift in business strategy than API headaches in the link above. (Licensing fees, maybe? Contract ending?)

You can, of course, use facebook.com, youtube.com, and maps.google.com in the browsers on both systems.

It has absolutely nothing to do what you're suggesting, and "updating the browser providing the new API" makes me wonder if you understand how any of this works. Facebook and Google both sunset API versions after a certain period of time. (Facebook used to be almost obnoxiously aggressive about this a few years ago, making app-breaking changes with no notice and conflicting documentation.) If you make a call that either no longer exists, now expects different input/validation, and/or now returns data in a different form than your app expects, it'll break. Rather than go to the time or effort to make those necessary revisions, Sony seemingly just decided to remove support entirely instead.

Sony confirmed that this is the case for YouTube:

I have every expectation that's the case for Facebook as well. Google Maps may be the same story, although Sony makes it sound like more of a shift in business strategy than API headaches in the link above. (Licensing fees, maybe? Contract ending?)

You can, of course, use facebook.com, youtube.com, and maps.google.com in the browsers on both systems.
After three revisions still not improving on what I have already posted I'll just say wait and see. (Southbridge ARM trustzone APIs providing embedded DRM, Player, Codec to the browser and APP framework).

After three revisions still not improving on what I have already posted I'll just say wait and see. (Southbridge ARM trustzone APIs providing embedded DRM, Player, Codec to the browser and APP framework).
What would any of that have to do with, say, authenticating to Facebook? Why can the PS4 still do it but not the Vita? The answer is far simpler than you're making it out to be.

I swear, if the waitress at Waffle House asked how you like your eggs, you couldn't answer without bringing up TEE or Playready. :)

What would any of that have to do with, say, authenticating to Facebook? Why can the PS4 still do it but not the Vita? The answer is far simpler than you're making it out to be.

I swear, if the waitress at Waffle House asked how you like your eggs, you couldn't answer without bringing up TEE or Playready. :)
I'm making it out to be Sony waiting to update the PS3, PS4 and possibly Vita at the same time. The update primarily concerns Playready embedded, the player, codecs, encryption, Miracast, WMDRM, Playready ND and DLNA. For the browser this means HTML5 <video> EME MSE will be supported and WebTV W3C extensions are coming from PDFs sent to the FCC by Sony for Vidipath and a Downloadable Security Scheme. What is your answer?

Sony has to update the Vita while currently the PS3 and PS4 apps from Netflix and Google are by Netflix and Google with nearly everything stand alone - self contained using very little of the PS3 and PS4 OS stack. Google can write the app with little consultation with Sony.

DRMtoday lists the PS3 and PS4 with Playready embedded DRM but Netlix on the PS4 is still 1.1 GB. Using the Embedded Playready also requires (new with UHD) the entire video path from Playready decryption to HDCP encryption be in the TEE. If the APP is using the System WebGL UI then the APP should be less than 30 MB not 1.1 GB.

Comcast just partnered with Samsung and Roku and released APPs using HTML5 <video> to support Cable TV without a cable card or cable box. Sony has been helping the cable industry with this for two years and with Sony's Passage since 2003.

https://www.linkedin.com/jobs2/view/13896747 said:
This Software Project Manager will be responsible for the following: Regulation and standardization for DLNA, HTML5 RUI, CVP2, HDMI, MHL, and other related technologies. (HTML5 RUI = Vidipath)

This Software Project Manager is responsible for attending and representing Sony in multiple industry forums, such as working closely with MSOs (MSO = Cable TV).

I've found and posted that the PS4 and XB1 are UHD Capable and will be updated to support UHD in 2016. The Paper actually says Jan 2016 but that has not happened. I do not know the reason for the delay but the paper has a date of April 2015 so it's changed since then. Updating to support UHD for the PS4 is ALL about the Southbridge ARM Trustzone TEE and for the XB1 the code running on the ARM AXI bus in the APU. It's APIs to support HTML5 <video> MSE EME and all embedded DRM mentioned above.

It's clear what is missing and clear how it's going to be provided but not the reason for the delay. This delay also applies to ooVoo as it's going to be integrated into the PS4 OS in Southbridge. It's less clear why the PS3 and likely the Vita are also waiting for the same but for the PS3 it's also getting Playready embedded with all that implies (Vidipath) and the same for Vita if it's to support Vidipath.

I'm making it out to be Sony waiting to update the PS3, PS4 and possibly Vita at the same time. The update primarily concerns Playready embedded, the player, codecs, encryption, Miracast, WMDRM, Playready ND and DLNA. For the browser this means HTML5 <video> EME MSE will be supported and WebTV W3C extensions are coming from PDFs sent to the FCC by Sony for Vidipath and a Downloadable Security Scheme. What is your answer?
That Facebook integration on the PS3/Vita, Google Maps, Skype, and YouTube have absolutely nothing to do with anything you just posted. Sony pulled most, if not all, of those apps because they reference deprecated APIs -- that Sony doesn't find that functionality worth maintaining. I sincerely cannot fathom how you're connecting those dots the way you are. Authenticating to Facebook does not involve any advanced codecs or Vidipath. Implementing Playready cannot translate references to old Google Maps API calls to new ones. YouTube being pulled has nothing to do with browser limitations because you can watch YouTube videos on the Vita with the browser; just not the standalone app. Skype still has a few months before it's completely disabled, so that has nothing to do with a current lack of features.

That Facebook integration on the PS3/Vita, Google Maps, Skype, and YouTube have absolutely nothing to do with anything you just posted. Sony pulled most, if not all, of those apps because they reference deprecated APIs -- that Sony doesn't find that functionality worth maintaining. I sincerely cannot fathom how you're connecting those dots the way you are. Authenticating to Facebook does not involve any advanced codecs or Vidipath. Implementing Playready cannot translate references to old Google Maps API calls to new ones. YouTube being pulled has nothing to do with browser limitations because you can watch YouTube videos on the Vita with the browser; just not the standalone app. Skype still has a few months before it's completely disabled, so that has nothing to do with a lack of current features.

I've said that Sony is waiting to update the HTML5 <video>/embedded player/DRM. After that is in then multiple features that are now locked down can be supported. With embedded DRM every file is parsed and DRM handled and the platform can support a more open OS. Sony will likely have a fully featured Browser similar to what you find on a PC. With DRM in the app and/or Antenna TV supported without recognizing the flags, the platform has to disable or cripple File access to external drives or Network.

With HTML5 updated to version 1.0 with W3C extensions there will be less need for APPs, everything is through the browser. A 140 MB Youtube app becomes a several KB bookmark with picture icon. In some cases to reduce the load time, parts of the HTML5 code are saved locally resulting in a few MB local storage. In some cases to support local storage, user names/passwords, voice commands, media full screen power modes, suspend resume and DRM for a commercial service like Netflix, a signed Framework is needed. On the PS4, commercial APPs will be based on Mono and will be true apps.

Apps were need on platforms that had a javascript engine and framework but not a full browser or embedded DRM (PS3 in 2010). Apps are still needed on platforms that do not have embedded DRM or the full range of API support from the browser native libraries (PS3 2012 to present). Apps will still be needed if they use features or integrate into the OS in a way not supported by HTML5.

The point is that nearly every app will need to be rewritten for the PS3, PS4 and Vita to take advantage of embedded DRM and the published APIs for Southbridge. I'm assuming Sony is waiting to do it all at one time on every platform.

Top Bottom