• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What Fall TV shows will you be watching? - 2016 Edition -

Status
Not open for further replies.

HylianTom

Banned
I'll try a few shows, but usually end-up sticking to PBS, MeTV, and AntennaTV.

Timeless - I like the topic, so I'll give it a trial period.
Tracey Ullman - I LOVE HER. I've loved her since the beginning, so I'm there for whatever she's doing.
Bob's Burgers
One Mississippi - Great topic/setting, and I'm a fan of Tig Notaro's past work.

Anything beyond that is going to be a stretch.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
You're a national treasure, Ratsky. So many shows on that list I had forgotten about or didn't know existed. With the shows I already watch there is no way I'm going to get around to checking out everything I want to. But there are a few I'm giving priority on giving them a chance.

Atlanta - My man Donald Glover. Have to at least check it out.
ARQ - I already have enough Amell in my week, but I'll give this an episode. Most of these high concept shows end up being garbage but we'll see.
The Case Of: Jonbenet Ramsey - I'm a sucker for true crime, so this is for me. Kelly Oxford was just talking about some of her theories on the case last week, so I just dug back into it again.
The Good Place - I thought the trailer was hilarious. Plus Bell and Danson are magical creatures.
Lethal Weapon - *sigh* One or two episodes. This would have to be amazing to keep me on the hook. I love the movies and have no interest in watching something that is just mediocre.
Speechless - I thought this had one of the better comedy trailers from the upfronts so I'm in.
Designated Survivor - I like Kiefer. Might give this a shot depending on reviews.
The Exorcist - I'm still skeptical on how this can be expanded into a series and how long you can make this genuinely scary. I'll watch the pilot though.
Son of Zorn - Might be a good high concept comedy. Last Man on Earth is my ish and this sorta gives me the same vibe.
Channel Zero - I'm a sucker for anthology series. I can't even remember the last time I actually liked a show on SyFy so I'm cautiously optimistic.
Luke Cage - Marvel on Netflix is 3 for 3 with me. If I watched them week to week I could probably pick them apart, but they're great binge watches. I'll be devouring all of this, without question.
Westworld - Fucking HBO. I was going to cancel my HBO Now after Game of Thrones, but then they kept me on the hook all summer with The Night Of. Now I have to stick with it to see this. They know exactly what they're doing.
Timeless - I'll watch the pilot if I'm bored. NBC has had a long history of these mediocre sci-fi shows. They saw how well Lost did for ABC and have been trying to capture the same magic since.
No Tomorrow - This look cute. CW has been slowly building a very respectable slate of shows, even in the midseason. They only do 2 hours a night, but they have good entertainment every night.
Frequency - I lowkey love the movie so I'm sold on this. The concept actually feels like something that could transfer to tv very easily.
The 13th - DuVernay and Netflix?! Yeah, I'll definitely be watching all of this.
Divorce - Maybe...maybe...I love the cast but I'd rather watch The Affair.
Goliath - I'll probably binge this during Christmas break. Looks like it could be the next Damages.
Chance - Trailers looked good and Hugh Laurie is always a treat to watch.
The Crown - Looks amazing. I've been waiting on this one for awhile.
Search Party - Looks good for a TBS show. I'll give it a shot.
QuizUp - Obligated to watch any and all quiz shows.

That's already too much for me. Lots of these shows I'll only be able to watch 1 or 2 episodes for. Peak TV is here to stay.

LycanXIII

Walking Dead and Scream Queens for sure.

Didn't know a show based on Shooter/Point of Impact was being made. Is it a retelling, or a continuation of it?

Also, fuck that pic for Channel Zero. I don't know why, but it freaks me out.

Will be watching:
Gotham - Wasn't planning on watching season 2, but I'm glad I did. Major turnaround. Looking forward to season 3.
Brooklyn Nine-Nine - Kind of fell off after the first season but I'm still enjoying it enough to tune in
Agents of SHIELD - Given the poor ratings this could be its final season and it's been pretty solid since the end of season 1.
The Blacklist - After watching all of Boston Legal this summer you might think that I'd be growing a bit tired of Spader, but nope, I'm still in.
Luke Cage - I'm confident enough in Marvel's TV output that I'll see this through. Trailer looks great.
The Flash - Bit of a downturn last season but still fun. Want to see where this goes after that finale.
Arrow - Oh God, why?
Jane the Virgin - Consistently great TV
Rectify - Probably the best show currently airing.
Gilmore Girls - Watched this series recently so I luckily haven't been waiting long for this revival.
Mozart in the Jungle - Loved the first season, less so the second. Love the setting/theme of the show.
Humans
Rick and Morty
Review - I'm not sure how this show can get any darker, or more insane, but I will be there to find out.

Will check out:
Atlanta - I liked Community once upon a time and I've enjoyed enough FX comedies in the past to give this a look.
The Good Place - Looks like it could be fun
Van Helsing - Looks kind of bad, but SyFy has surprised me lately.
Westworld - HBO is due for something good, right? There's certainly enough talent behind this.
Timeless - Fienberg seemed fairly positive on it and I kind of need to see for myself how a Kripke and Ryan production turns out.
Frequency - Enjoyed the trailer enough to give it a look.
Chance - I'll at least watch an episode of this for Hugh Laurie.
Goliath - Interested in how David E Kelley does a legal drama off of network TV and having Billy Bob Thornton in it helps, but also I want to see how Amazon's output develops.
Shut Eye - Premise is neat, plus, Jeffrey Donovan.

Maybe:
Blindspot - Can't fill the hole in my heart left by Strike Back, but it's been enjoyable enough and it's nice to see Sullivan Stapleton on TV still.
Masters of Sex - Stopped in the middle of last season before picking it back up again. Not sure if I want to continue with it - perhaps if the end is in sight.
Lucifer - Show gets a lot of flack, not undeservedly, but I do enjoy Tom Ellis as Lucifer.
Elementary - Show has its moments, but I haven't really been into it since season 2.
Supergirl - Wasn't terribly impressed with the first season, but I'll watch an episode or two of the second to see how they handle the transition to a new network.
Supernatural - The last season was the best one in years, but still, this show needs to end and looks like that's never going to happen. I need to get off this train at some point.
Legends of Tomorrow - Had fun with it, but it didn't live up to expectations. I do quite like the cast for the most part, but the loss of Wentworth Miller as a main cast member is pretty huge.
The Vampire Diaries - Oh God, it's finally over. Will probably watch to see it off.
The Walking Dead - I stopped watching this at some point and for some reason got caught up on it. I don't know why. I will probably continue to watch this. I don't know why.
The Affair - Only got halfway through the first season, but I did enjoy what I watched. Might catch up on it and follow along.
The Man in the High Castle - Was pretty high on the pilot, but all of the negative impressions of the rest of the season kept me away from it. Maybe if the second season turns things around?
The Fall - Seems like this should have been over, but I might see how they handle a third season.
Sense8: Christmas Special - I thought this show was awful, but the idea of a Christmas special for this nonsense will likely have me watching out of morbid curiousity.
New Girl - Didn't watch last season. Don't know that I'll bother to pick it back up.
Shameless - Didn't watch last season and I don't know that I have it in me to continue with it.

Might check out some others depending on how they're received.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
ARQ - I already have enough Amell in my week, but I'll give this an episode. Most of these high concept shows end up being garbage but we'll see.

ARQ is actually a movie!

I think next time I'll do a separate post for the TV movies, instead of just mixing them in with the TV shows, that way people will be able to tell them apart better.

Didn't know a show based on Shooter/Point of Impact was being made. Is it a retelling, or a continuation of it?

I believe it's a reboot.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
ARQ is actually a movie!

I think next time I'll do a separate post for the TV movies, instead of just mixing them in with the TV shows, that way people will be able to tell them apart better.

I believe it's a reboot.

Oh alright. Well then I will watch the first 40 minutes of it lol.

Jisgsaw

He, didn't know Naughtydog decided to make a TV series out of Uncharted (Hooten and the Lady).

I think I'll limit myself to Southpark and whatever a friend of my (who watches almost everything) recommends.

Lucifer, begrudgingly. I hope the show will not doesn't continually milk the 'Will the detective find out Lucifer's the devil?!' plot for too long because too many shows pulled that type of bullshit for far too long. Although, I guess they need something since the police procedurals are the most worst aspects of the show.

Besides that, I'll be sticking to Superstore, CBTV, Westworld, Ash vs the Evil Dead, South Park, and maybe check out the Excorist to see how bad it is

mjc

Holy smokes, there's actually quite a bit I wanna check out this fall compared to previous years.

Holy smokes, there's actually quite a bit I wanna check out this fall compared to previous years.

I was thinking the same. Wasn't the fall season last year a barren wasteland? It seems like this year cable/streaming are trying to take advantage of the networks once again holding most of their promising shows till mid-season.

And as someone else also noted; holy shit there are a lot of Christmas movies on Lifetime/Hallmark...

Can anything on that list fill this Grinder sized hole in my heart?

Right now I'm looking forward to ridiculous levels of sexual tension in Rosewood, how Elementary follows up John Noble as Sherlock's father in season 4, and the Arrow/Flash/Supergirl crossover

NightOnyx

There's definitely a good amount of shows there that intrigue me. However, since I prefer to binge watch stuff like on Netflix, I really haven't watched much network and cable shows lately as they originally air. Most of these shows I'll wait to watch later when the season is over. There are a few shows I'll check out while they air though, like Atlanta and some of those Syfy shows. I'm hoping one of those Syfy shows is as enjoyable as the Magicians was for me this past year. For the most part I'll be sticking to the Netflix and Amazon shows until I can just binge watch everything else though.

I'm definitely most excited for Luke Cage, Atlanta, and Westworld. Those three all look great for their own reasons, and I'm definitely intrigued.

Decado

Looking at just new shows.

Hyped for:

Westworld
Quarry
Luke Cage
Versailles

Will check out if well receiced:

Atlanta
The Secret Agent
Van Helsing
Son of Zorn
Aftermath
Golliath
Berlin Station
The Ivory Game
Frontier
Close to the Enemy
Sneaky Pete
SS-GB
The Frankenstein Chronicles

It hasn't been announced but a lot of people are assuming it will be due to the show's failure to catch on (ratings keep getting lower, no hype) and the fact that this season the show will reach syndication numbers.

For some reason I thought it was official, but you're right. My mistake.

Supernatural
Survivor
Kevin Can Wait
Last Man Standing
The Big Bang Theory
American Horror Story (Not that I will enjoy it.)
Quarry
Modern Family
48 Hours
Dateline
Westworld
The Middle
The Walking Dead

maxcriden

It hasn't been announced but a lot of people are assuming it will be due to the show's failure to catch on (ratings keep getting lower, no hype) and the fact that this season the show will reach syndication numbers.

Gotcha, thanks Ratsky!

For some reason I thought it was official, but you're right. My mistake.

NP, i"m sure you're right. Was just curious if it was already official. :)

New stuff that interests me:

Atlanta (maybe)
Quarry
ARQ
Fleabag (maybe)
Lethal Weapon (maybe)
MacGyver (to see how bad it is)
The Exorcist
Luke Cage
Westworld
Goliath (maybe)
Chance
Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency
Stan Against Evil
Shut Eye
Dream Corp, LLC
Samurai Jack
Shooter (maybe)
Sneaky Pete (maybe)
The Frankenstein Chronicles (maybe)

Australian Terrorist Drama? lol

---

When is Tom Hardy's Taboo coming out?

tom-hardy-taboo-26feb16-04.JPG

I've cut down on a lot of TV I watch. Returning stuff I'll be checking out...

The Flash
Arrow (still need to catch up)
Supergirl
Legends of Tomorrow (still need to catch up)

Shit, I'm trying to remember what else I watch, hahaha.

I have to catch up on Banshee and Agents of SHIELD. That's all I got on my docket.

kevin1025

Banned
When is Tom Hardy's Taboo coming out?

tom-hardy-taboo-26feb16-04.JPG

Taboo I think is still this year... it might be that it airs on BBC One this fall and FX in January or February. It was still in production back in February and March when the original trailer came out, but since then it's been fairly quiet.

Edit: Looking around, there's been a few articles mentioning 2017, and some mentioning the fall. Not sure which to believe!

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Taboo I think is still this year... it might be that it airs on BBC One this fall and FX in January or February. It was still in production back in February and March when the original trailer came out, but since then it's been fairly quiet.

Edit: Looking around, there's been a few articles mentioning 2017, and some mentioning the fall. Not sure which to believe!
It finished shooting around late May, early June, IIRC. At that time Steven Knight thought it'd probably be out in the fall on the BBC, but wasn't real sure. I definitely wouldn't expect it in the US this year. I'd guess it'll fill the spot that The People vs OJ Simpson held this year.

Awesome! Been waiting for a few months for this thread to be made - thank you so much for taking the time to make it :D.

Thanks to this thread I'm going to give Designated Survivor a try, and perhaps Frequency, too. I'm already really hyped for Westworld and Mars. Also want to wait for Quarry, Graves, and Berlin Station to come on DVD so I can give those a shot, too.

I don't understand, is it the same episode airing 2 times?

Can someone explain me this?

Not yet confirmed, but heavily rumored

Premieres on one day (presumably for higher ratings / exposure, or to avoid a scheduling conflict with something else), then moves to its permanent day / slot.

Westworld
Son of Zorn
Good Life
Dirk Gently Agency
Taboo

look interesting enough to give a shot at watching while it airs. Versailles and some of the other foreign stuff are already on amazon prime I think.

Rest of the stuff looks like trash or won't last an entire season, I rarely watch stuff in first season live anymore since so much gets cancelled or ends up being really bad.

The new SyFy shows look kinda bad, a bit disappointing after how great the past two years have been - Expanse, 12 Monkeys, Killjoys, and Dark Matter have all been really fun to watch.

Nudull

Banned
In for:
Agents of SHIELD
Luke Cage
Gilmore Girls
Fresh Off the Boat
Supergirl
The Flash
Black Jesus
Ash vs. Evil Dead
Samurai Jack
---
The Exorcist
Bee & Puppycat
MacGuyver
Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency
Class
Anne of Green Gables
Nicki
Atlanta

Apt101

Emeril Lagasse's new show that just launched on Amazon, Eat the World, is some good Fall viewing (it's Fall now, right?). I think it's my favorite of these kinds of shows. Far less pretentiousness than Chef's Table, a lot less pointless monologuing than Bourdain, but the production value that may be better than both. I learned a lot about Nordic cooking in the first episode.

List!

Must See Smash Hit TV
Presidential Debates - 26 Sep, 9 Oct, 19 Oct

Yep
Ash vs Evil Dead
Atlanta
Luke Cage
The Flash
Westworld

Maybe
Better Things
Crisis in Six Scenes
Designated Survivor
Dirk Gently
Goliath
Good Girls Revolt
Narcos (involves a season 1 catch up)
One Mississippi
Pitch
Son of Zorn
This Is Us

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
The Young Pope, starring Jude Law, will premiere in Italy and Germany on October 21, the UK on October 27 and on HBO in the US sometime in February.

The Young Pope - Sky/Studio Canal/HBO

The story centers on Lenny Belardo, aka Pius XIII. Young and charming, his election might seem the result of a simple and effective media strategy by the College of Cardinals. But appearances can be deceptive, especially in the place and among the people who have chosen the great mystery of God as the guiding light of their existence. That place is the Vatican and those people are the leaders of the Catholic Church. And the most mysterious and contradictory figure of all turns out to be Pius XIII himself. Shrewd and naïve, old-fashioned and yet very modern, doubtful and resolute, ironic, pedantic, hurt and ruthless, Pius XIII tries to walk the long path of human loneliness to find a God for mankind. And for himself.

Cth

Thanks for the list! Here's what I'm interested in:

September
Wednesday, 14
South Park - Comedy Central - 10/9c

Tuesday, 20
Scream Queens - Fox - 9/8c
Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. - ABC - 10/9c

Wednesday, 21
Designated Survivor - ABC - 10/9c

Thursday, 22
Superstore - NBC - 8/7c

Friday, 23
Hell's Kitchen - Fox - 8/7c

Sunday, 25
Bob's Burgers - CBS - 7:30/6:30c
Family Guy - Fox - 9/8c
The Last Man on Earth - Fox - 9:30/8:30c

Tuesday, 27
Tosh.0 - Comedy Central - 10/9c
Drunk History - Comedy Central - 10:30/9:30c

October
Sunday, 2
Ash vs. Evil Dead - Starz - 8/7c
Westworld - HBO - 9/8c

Tuesday, 4
The Flash - The CW - 8/7c

Monday, 10
Supergirl - The CW - 8/7c

Tuesday, 11
The Real O'Neals - ABC - 10/9c

Thursday, 20
The Rocky Horror Picture Show: Let’s Do the Time Warp Again - Fox - 8/7c
(Just for the sheer trainwreck it's going to be)

Friday, 21
Midnight Diner: Tokyo Stories - Netflix

Saturday, 22
Dirk Gently’s Holistic Detective Agency - BBC America - 10/9c

December

Wednesday, 7
Hairspray Live! - NBC - 8/7c

TBD Fall
Bee & PuppyCat — VRV
Planet Earth II - BBC One
Samurai Jack - Adult Swim

Not much but probably start with my hot hot hot zombie hybrid husband Murphy! From Z Nation Can't wait for Season 3 to start.
5nRLB1j.jpg

Others will be my usual
American Horror Story (hope this season is good the odd numbered seasons weren't in the past)
The Walking Dead (looking forward to dat Jeffrey Dean Morgan)
Shameless (REALLY need to catch up on this)
The usual cartoon lineup casually (might try son of zorn depending on how it is)
Westwood (looks pretty good gonna give it a go)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom