• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What game are you currently playing?

Mr Hyde

Finished the first DLC with Black Cat for Spiderman 100%. It was pretty mediocre. The storyline ended with a cliffhanger so can't say much about until I finish the rest, but so far it didn't present anything remotely compelling in terms of set up. It was more of the base game, essentially, and an excuse to churn out more filler content to pad out the game time.

drganon

Finished the first DLC with Black Cat for Spiderman 100%. It was pretty mediocre. The storyline ended with a cliffhanger so can't say much about until I finish the rest, but so far it didn't present anything remotely compelling in terms of set up. It was more of the base game, essentially, and an excuse to churn out more filler content to pad out the game time.
As someone who's beaten all the DLC, none of it was all that good. The other two probably wont change your initial impression.

Mr Hyde

As someone who's beaten all the DLC, none of it was all that good. The other two probably wont change your initial impression.

Yeah, I figured it was going to be more of the same. Might as well finish what I started though, want to see the story to its end, and it's still pretty fun to swing around NYC and beating up bad guys. Close to a platinum too.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
I hopped on Bloodborne last night and got the shortcut just prior to Mergo's Wet Nurse. I also backtracked, dropped the Big Brain down the hole, grabbed the Rock, and upgraded my Chikage to +10.

I'd completely forgotten about the healing church tower so I visited that last night. Spooky place. Blue eyed werewolves were a fun fight, but I forgot how to unlock the main gate (first shortcut) so I saved and quit.

Mr Branding

Nfs Heat and loving it especially with Spotify. The car selection in this game is great: Testarossa, Countach, etc.
Also, it runs and looks pretty great. Skipped all story cuz I am all about the gameplay

Mr Hyde

Grabbed the Platinum in Spiderman. My 63rd one. It was pretty easy so I figured why not. The game itself is okay. The web slinging is fun and kicking bad guys too. The story is decent and it has a couple of bitching set pieces. It's not great by any means but more of a casual friendly adventure in waiting for something deeper. I give it a solid 7/10.

spectyre

Playing Ghost of Tsushima. It's just one of those games that really has it's hooks in me. It's the subtle differences that really set it apart, such as no gathering animations. At first it seemed like such a little thing, but it really streamlines your playing time. Hopefully Guerilla follows suit in the next Horizon.

Finally done with Persona 4 Golden (Steam Edition) after two months. 72 hours, Normal Difficulty. Unsurprisingly very polished on the gameplay front given that Golden is built on top of the original Playstation 2 release as the definitive version; i thoroughly enjoyed it. The dungeons, albeit repetitive, were short. The combat was great. Though the story was a bit predictable and the post-final boss content dragged a bit, the exceptionally well written, and well voiced cast of characters more then made up for it. I'll be sure to (re)play it in like a year or so.

Next on, Persona 3 FES. Finally, time to tackle this beast.

GametimeUK

Currently on Diablo 3 and I'm struggling to get into the swing of things, but I think it's coming together now. Having a lot of fun.

Well, i just found out that i haven't got the True ending for Persona 4, but the normal one. And the True ending has significant amount of content intended for proper closure. Guess i'll definitely have to return to this sooner rather than later, but for now i'm going with Persona 3 FES.

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
After wrapping up Dino Crisis I dipped into Metroid Prime 2. Decent sequel so far. Hated the dark world at first but now that I have the dark suit it's a lot less annoying. Shame they didn't solve my biggest gripe from the first one in this.... The spawning enemies. Just like in the first game it's not as bar so far but I can see this being a pain in the ass towards the end again when you're doing all the backtracking.

Last edited:

stn

I beat Destroy All Humans! recently, which was great (I used to own the original). Now I'm trying to beat FF7:R and Pokemon Shield. I'll likely finish both by the end of the month. After that, I'll continue Ghost of Tsushima, and Hitman 2.

R6Rider

Gold Member
Switch:
I recently completed BotW and Odyssey and now playing Mario & Rabbids.

PS4:
Playing Siege, Fall Guys in short bursts, nearing the end of Ghost of Tsushima, and 3 chapters left in Judgment.

PC:
Really just playing Carrion right now, but need to go back and finish NFS Heat.

The Evil Within, more of the main game and attempted to progress in the first DLC, but that was short lived. Also Bayonetta 2, The Wonderful 101 (Wii U versions) and currently on Super Smash Bros. for Wii U

Mr Hyde

Been playing a little bit Dark Souls 3. Going for a bleed/regen build with dual weaponry and bows. Aiming for Warden Twinblades, Lightning Arrow and a blessed parrying dagger. Never done a build like this before.

See how far I get before I get bored. I have thousands of hours in playtime and should be playing other stuff, but damn Dark Souls keep sucking me back.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Rule of Rose on PS2. I’m surprised this never got a digital release. It’s an excellent survival horror type of game. Grab items, figure out puzzles, and explore a very dark and gritty world. The dark tone of kids killing animals with baseball bats and then holding their funeral is creepy. Which I can’t compare it to anything else. It has some slow pacing to it if you get lost, but so far things are pretty straight forward on where to go. Definitely worth playing if you’re a fan of creepy, survival horror games. I’m surprised no one has ported this game yet or have done a Remaster.

10,000 Bullets on PS2. Fast paced, aim, shoot, and destroy your targets. It only had a Japanese and PAL release. The PAL version is in English. Definitely worth checking out if you enjoyed the colorful and snappy Sega and Namco arcade shooters of the 90/00’s.

Xenogears - 2nd Disc. They really just get to the point. It drastically changed everything that was done in the first disc. It’s like the cliff notes of a typical JRPG I’m still enjoying replaying it. It reminds me a little of how world travel worked in the PSP version of Lunar SSSC.

I finally had the time to setup Persona 3 FES with PCSX2. Pleased with the result - 3x Native (1080p), Widescreen Hack and a bunch of additional shaders enabled. Now to properly enjoy my time with this game.

LYRlAHL.png

OgIurbx.png

9bzZeMz.png

csGuo5h.png

Quite surprised with the modding community. If i really wanted to, i could practically be playing an unofficial remaster by adding the Controllable Party modification and Rebirth cutscenes (edited cutscenes from the anime to match and replace the original cutscenes). But for now i'll keep things vanilla and enjoy the graphical upgrade.

Last edited:

Mr Hyde

Farron Keep now. Got my Wardens Twinblade and parrying dagger. I also change with Brigand Twindaggers for extra crit upon riposte since I basically parry everything I can. Quickstep ability is nice too. Build is coming along nicely, but the first couple of hours were fucking rough with only the daggers. I've upgraded them now so the DPS is better, but got rekted in the beginning.

Last edited:

checkcola

I just finished Rise of Tomb Raider, I had a lot of stop go with that game. I do think its pretty good, visually top notch, game play is enjoyable, the tombs are fun and the DLC with the witch was great stuff. Probably 8 out of 10, but I think the story is by the books, the bother/sister villains are sooo generic, and there's one actual clever reveal that is just glossed overJacob actually being a snake oil sales man, the divine source not being divine at all (UFO tech?), just a lie he told.

SpiceRacz

Finished Castlevania Bloodlines for the first time tonight. Great game, but inferior Castlevania 4. Also played some Ninja Gaiden Trilogy on SNES. I hate the look and sound of these versions.

Ichabod

Banned
HtieFpV.png

Anime Xcom produced by a korean studio. Game is criminally underpriced for the amount of content you get. The story is tropey but serviceable if you can deal with some rough translations. Customization and build diversity of your units is robust and battles (some of which can last up to 2 hours) are enjoyably challenging. The devs are still adding free updates to the game.

Vcj8Jop.jpg

A turn-based tactical rpg that wears it's reverence for Final Fantasy Tactics on its sleeve. I've only spent a dozen or so hours with this game but, so far, it is the closest analog to FFT I've ever played (and I've tried a bunch.) The graphical style isn't completely to my liking but the gameplay delivers, there seems to be a ton of jobs to unlock and level, and the AI doesn't hesitate to punish you whenever it can (I'm playing on Veteran which is like this game's version of hard mode). Also, I was pleasantly surprised at how good the soundtrack is. Sakimoto would be proud.

Humdinger

I'm about 40% of the way through Spider-Man. I'm enjoying it more than I expected. I heard a lot of complaints about the miscellaneous activities (towers, backpacks, etc.), but I'm enjoying those. In fact, I've spent a fair amount of my time doing them and have completed all the backpacks, landmarks, most of the research stations, and more than half the other stuff. I also heard complaints about Peter's quips, but I'm finding them funny, and I'm glad they included them; that's part of his character, and it's one of Insomniac's strengths.

At first, the combat felt a little overwhelming, but once I got the hang of it, it was really fun. I'm enjoying the story and characters so far. I'm only at the point where Miles is introduced, so I've still got a lot left to go.

If I had a complaint, it would be that there are just too many options -- all the suits, the suit powers, the suit mods, the gadgets, the perks/upgrades. It's a little much. I know people like options, but it feels excessive to me. I would've preferred they left about half that stuff out.

I'm coming off replaying Ratchet and Clank. I had fun with that. I was in the mood for a lighthearted, old-fashioned platformer/shooter, and it fit the bill nicely. It held up well on a second playthrough.

Both of these are Insomniac games, of course, and we've got follow-ups to both coming up for PS5. I figured I needed to get to Spider-Man under my belt, before Miles Morales arrived for PS5. I had been resisting because I'm not a big superhero guy, I didn't like the setting, and I'd heard a lot of criticisms about bloated side-missions. But I'm enjoying it.

Last edited:

SnapShot

Majora's Mask 3D with Project Restoration mod

It's been so long since last I've played this game, saw this mod recently and it gave me a reason to go back and play it some more. been getting so burned out on looter shooters and multiplayer games, it's nice to take a step back and play something less exhausting.

Last edited:

Nico_D

Finishing up Mass Effect 2 with Arrival. Then probably Mass Effect 3 unless I end up replaying Detroit: Become Human first. I would really like to play that again. Also Mankind Divided keeps calling me.

I seem to be going through a replaying phase. My second game at the moment is Banjo-Kazooie Nuts & Bolts :)

Mr Hyde

Deadly Premonition 2 is driving me insane. The fetch quests you embark on is so boring and tedious, it literally makes me wanna go mental, which is pretty genius because they are designed to have that impact on York for him to go mental as well narratively.

The story and characters are all top notch but the gameplay is the worst shit ever, even more so than the original. Swerys writing is the only thing that saves this dung heap from going out the fucking window.

drganon

Now that ghost of tsushima is done, I'm back to playing xenoblade chronicles de and finishing up the witcher 3 dlc. Also played a little bit of tales of symphonia on the gamecube.

ACESHIGH

Banned
I just finished Sleeping Dogs. It's been a while since I had so much fun in an open world game, the controls were great and Hong Kong looked stunning. Now I subbed for one month to Gamepass and I am playing Battletoads. So far it's really good and I love the artstyle!

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
Finishing up Darksiders Genysis via GP. I really want to love this game and theres a good game in here somewhere but its bloated and not play tested enough. It could easily be a 9/10 but it ends up being a 7/10 at best. Moving to Battletoads next.

Assassin's Creed III - Just started Sequence 12

I'm honestly loving everything about this game. The crazy thing is I played this on release back in 2012 and HATED it. But this time, having played the Desmond saga in order (I skipped Brotherhood and Revelations last time), I've grown so attached to the cast and enjoy the iterative gameplay improvements.

And I know people absolutely crap on the long opening and how you don't get Connor's assassin robes until finishing Sequence 5, but I honestly think that is a strength of the game. Spending 3 sequences with Haytham made me really love the character and I saw his view, which made him a better and nuanced villain. Also, I like the journey of Charles Lee. He starts out as a timid lap dog and eventually becomes a more capable antagonist that has tormented Connor since his childhood. The back and forth between Connor and Haytham was really fun and I could tell there was a bond forming, but the ideological differences were too great.

On the gameplay side, this game was a huge step up on the Ezio trilogy with more fluid combat and parkour. Free running in trees is so much fun and is what the series needed. I thought it was a great touch that Haytham couldn't do it in his sequences, but can be seen doing it later on. It was like he learned from Ziio during their time together. Also, combat is much improved and the amount of things you can do during a given encounter is great. The random firing squad is a nice change of pace and I like that you can grab the nearest guy and use him as a shield. Connor also feels like the most brutal fighter and has so much weight to his attacks. He actually feels pissed off when he's fighting, which reflects his feelings on the British and the Templars.

And I've heard Connor be described as naive and unchanging, but that isn't true. He is surely naive at the start, but his moral conviction and intelligence lead him to rejecting the potential partnership with Haytham because he sees that his way is ultimately wrong. He has great integrity and it comes through his actions. I really enjoyed his character moments.

I really enjoyed participating in the revolutionary battles and the modern day levels with Desmond. It was awesome to see him as a full fledged assassin and I wish there were more levels like it.

Once I finish this, I'll get into the King Washington DLC, which I've heard is really good.

Last edited:

J-Roderton

Working through Man Of Medan. I’ve never played a game like it but I’m digging it so far.

Thinking about buying Skater XL but I’m not sure if it’s worth the price. Seems kinda lacking in content.

Shift!

Just bought a bunch of games. I played DOOM: Eternal, and Bayonetta, Resident Evil 2: Remake, Sonic Mania, Baba is You and so on.

Magik85

Somewhere halfway through Days Gone.
IMO its very uderrated title.
Im also trying AC Odyssey but so far it didnt click for me.
Days Gone > AC Odyssey

ZZZZ

HtieFpV.png

Anime Xcom produced by a korean studio. Game is criminally underpriced for the amount of content you get. The story is tropey but serviceable if you can deal with some rough translations. Customization and build diversity of your units is robust and battles (some of which can last up to 2 hours) are enjoyably challenging. The devs are still adding free updates to the game.

Vcj8Jop.jpg

A turn-based tactical rpg that wears it's reverence for Final Fantasy Tactics on its sleeve. I've only spent a dozen or so hours with this game but, so far, it is the closest analog to FFT I've ever played (and I've tried a bunch.) The graphical style isn't completely to my liking but the gameplay delivers, there seems to be a ton of jobs to unlock and level, and the AI doesn't hesitate to punish you whenever it can (I'm playing on Veteran which is like this game's version of hard mode). Also, I was pleasantly surprised at how good the soundtrack is. Sakimoto would be proud.
TroubleShooter is unbelievable, such a great game.

Finishing my new Darkest Dungeon BM run, didn't like the CoM DLC.
5H away from finishing P4Golden, game is amazing, (farming reapers is a pain in the ass though).

Top Bottom