• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What game are you currently playing?

gojira96

A Plague's Tale: Innocence. Passed under my radar when it launched (May 2019), picked it up recently in PSN's last sale (winter season sale in the south, summer in north).
Absolutely gorgeous game (please, bare in mind it's an indie/AA so some parts are better looking than others!).
Story-wise it's very much inspired by The Last of Us, and in my opinion, it outdoes it in the depth of the scenario. The story is short, but lovely.

Also playing GTA Online (whenever something new comes out), and Call of Duty Modern Warfare 2 Remastered (MW 1-3 are spectacular games! Wish they launched all 3 campaigns back to back)

marcincz

The final boss in Matterfall is the biggest cunt I've met in a long time. Goddamn he's hard. I think I'm up towards 30 tries now. He's driving me nuts.
I hate this fight. I needed over two hours to beat it.
I adore Nex Machina, Super Stardust and Resogun, but Matterfall is imo the weakest game of Housmarque.

Currently I am playing in Cities Skylines. Love this game.

Last edited:

Thurible

I beat Xenoblade Chronicles for switch (hated the Lorithia fight, had to grind near the end). It was fun, but the story is bonkers, even more so than X.
So the faces were homs hijacked into these machines to exploit the monado's weakness against sentient life. Fiora is one of these faces and turns out to be the vessel for the mechanis god "Lady Meyneth". Though possession isn't cool, Lady Meyneth is actually a good guy who just wants all sentient life on Bionis and Mechanis to live freely in harmony. The main bad guy, Egil, does all this killing and body snatching not because he hates homs, but because he hates the Bionis. Turns out people are just a source of energy for the Bionis and are meant to be used for It's gain. He just wants to hurt the Bionis by killing it's source of energy. After you defeat him, you actually sort of persuade him that all this killing is pointless and all people should live together. But then Shulk is shot by Dickson, the guy who saved his life as a kid after his party finds the Monado. Turns out Dickson is the disciple to the god of the bionis and the creator of the monado, Zanza. Shulk actually was a vessel for the god Zanza and being shot released Zanza. The Mechonis and Lady Meyneth are destroyed and the Bionis (Zanza) prepares to destroy all life to create a new world. The high entia are transformed into telethia who attack everyone, and the only high entia who survive this transformation are hybrid hom entias like Melia. Shulk and party then kill two of Zanza's three disciples and goes to space. They gain another monado after deciding to rid the world of gods and fate then they kill Zanza. The third disciple (Alvis) comes by and says he is an AI that basically serves the god of the universe and Shulk is now a god for killing Zanza, but Shulk denies the role and says he wishes for a world with no gods. Also, it turns out that the Xenoblade universe is some sort of postapocalyptic version of the real one after humans conduct an experiment to recreate the universe and Zanza destroyed everything and rebuilt it. So everything happened because a guy literally wanted to play god.
It is crazy, is this an ongoing thing in the series with the plots?

sobaka770

Banned
After my father died at the ripe age of 45 from obesity (despite consistent stressful efforts to cut down on food), I assumed control of my duchy at the ripe age of 3. Now at 30 I have particiapted in 2 Holy Wars for Jerusalem (that the pope lost miserable), pillaging the country of Egypt of all its riches. I have tripled income from my duchies, expanded my lands and created a modernised almost professional army thanks to the gold I gained by blackmailing royal courtiers and the king himself. I have crushed peasant rebellions, a separatist movement of my cousin, improved my defenses and solidified my hold on the Alps. Soon I will be able to gain independance from my liege and become the sole king of Burgundy.

That it unless I die and my 5 sons will divide my lands and chaos will ensue. Who knows?

PLEASE STOP ME, IT'S BEEN 5 HOURS AND I NEED SLEEP. CK3 is a drug.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I finished Control. I feel a bit underwhelmed. No real conclusion.
There’s no real final boss. It feels like something you’d catch on the Sci-Fi (SyFy) Network late at night. Something about a projector that’s barely explained. It leaves more to the imagination than it is captivating
The combat was fun. Things got cool and then it just left me feeling underwhelmed once you accomplished your goal. I definitely don’t get the love for it and I’m kinda glad I only paid $25 for it. There’s definitely some good stuff there, but I really didn’t like exploring anything except the main story. I’m glad I finished it, but something felt off. The actor or whoever they hired for the scientist felt odd. He wasn’t interesting and the janitor thing was just dumb towards the end. That whole annoying song they played during the maze part was awful. Trying to throw in Alan Wake into this is just too easy. I don’t even know how this game got so much praise. It ran like ass on my PS4 and I never say that. I get what they tried to pull off, but it felt so half-assed. A good idea, but not enough meat to it. I just finished the 10 missions. I’m glad I finished it. At least I know what I missed when it had just released. I’d give it a 7/10

Last edited:

Esca

Avengers
I've put a good amount of time into it so far and the campaign alone is shaping up to be worth the asking price. Haven't even touched the online stuff yet.
If you like the MCU is probably a safe bet you'll like this game

R6Rider

Gold Member
PS4: Finished Shadow Warriors 2 and Doom Eternal (might have already mentioned that in last post). Now finishing up Yakuza Kiwami and Resident Evil 3 Remake.
PS3: Finished Batman: Arkham City, half way through Resistance 3

Nickolaidas

Banned
Dark Souls remastered on my ps4.

Because ... it's Dark Souls. If you only played it on a ps3/x360, give it a go, solely because of the 60fps.

Suikoden 1 on my psxfin emulator on my pc. Need to be ready for Chronicles in a couple of years from now.

Beçause it's a solid IP, and you should give it a go.

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
RDR2

A couple of missions every evening and longer sessions when I have time on the weekend. It was a very slow burner for me because it took me very long to get into it but ever since I figured out my way to play it.... Loving it. Great characters and writing. Most impressive simulated game world I've ever seen. And boy is this game beautiful on OLED. Graphics constantly blow me away. Crazy that I'm this impressed by a game with the PS5 around the corner. How the times have changed...

bender

What time is it?
I finished Nioh 2 and I'm kind of bummed out. I'm not sure if I want to start something new with Spelunky 2 around the corner. I did try out most of the new Gamepass stuff on Xbox but nothing grabbed me.

DJT123

Pathfinder: Kingmaker is SO good.

I'm playing as a chaotic evil female elven barbarian. The evil role-playing options are exquisite. Just recently I used a highly experimental alchemist potion on a stray dog, lol.

Devilich

Nioh

Here is what my Gf said:
It is difficult at first but because of the long nature and addictingly fun gameplay it makes her keep coming back. But enough of my schlong. I think you can apply this very good to this game too.

7 out of 9 Pachinko machines.
Would seppuko again.

Last edited:

Grinchy

Banned
I went from starting and not really liking Horizon enough to continue with it last year to coming back to it this year and liking it so much that I grinded out the platinum trophy. I'm gonna put it down for now, but I even plan to come back and play the DLC some day. I just enjoy the combat quite a bit.

One thing that would have really solidified it as an amazing game to me is a change to the bow mechanics. If you had to actually lead your shots and the arrows moved in a parabolic arc that you had to plan for on each shot, it would have made the game 10 times more satisfying to play (and it's already satisfying).

Also, the storytelling could be extremely dry in places and everyone looked dumb in their costumes. Though, I liked the heart of the story. What was actually going on was a really cool sci-fi concept that I could have been much more into if told even more effectively. The "Aloy is Jesus" symbolism was pretty cringey, though.

Zephir

After more than 10 years I finally changed my PC, building a new one myself. It's not uber powerful (Ryzen 5 3600 + GTX 1650 Super) but from my previous situation (Intel i7 2600k + Radeon HD 6770) it's a pretty good upgrade.

I decided to use this newfound power to get a month of Game Pass and download a bunch of stuff...right now I'm into The Outer Worlds and it's pretty nice (and, most importantly, it runs)...I should go back and play Ghost of Tsushima, but right now I'm hooked here

Just bought the Crysis "trilogy" (it's actually 5 games) on Steam during the sale, but I don't know when I'll take the time to play them. But one thing's for sure, it's not the game that'll make me upgrade my PC yet... (at least it's fun looking at the required specs for what was once one of the best-looking games on PC and see it mention Windows XP/Vista lol)

McCarth

Working through Batman: Arkham Knight and Ace Combat 7 right now, but to be honest neither are really hooking me. Batman is a little dull and since it was just a PS Plus game for me I'll likely drop it, and Ace Combat is definitely enjoyable if not a little dry. And man is that story boring as all hell.

Fbh

Kingdom Under Fire: The Crusaders.
Always wanted to try this franchise. So far it's pretty fun, a bit dated but I love the ideas behind it, sort of feels like what I always wanted from Dynasty Warriors. It has the same badass on a battlefield stuff but with more interesting unit control and tactical decisions.

Only infuriating part so far is the camera. For whatever reason half of the time it's placed at the very back of your squadron and at waist height, making it really hard to see.

Bankai

I've decided to go for the SKYRIM VR PLATINUM! So yeah, I'm still playing the game which as awesome! :messenger_smiling_with_eyes:

I recently finished the Companions, Dark Brotherhood and Mages Guild questlines. Also did all of the Deadric quests. I'm at the end of the Thieves guild questline and then I'll move onto the final part of the main storyline.

After that still got some mopping up to do; 50x pickpocketing, ransom in all cities to nam a few.

RealisticIllinformedChital-small.gif

Last edited:

GymWolf

I kinda have nothing to play...

Ufc4 career already bored me and i finished neon abyss yesterday.

I kinda wanna try avengers but literally every video i watched doesn't convince me at all...

Tesseract

Banned
I've decided to go for the SKYRIM VR PLATINUM! So yeah, I'm still playing the game which as awesome! :messenger_smiling_with_eyes:

I recently finished the Companions, Dark Brotherhood and Mages Guild questlines. Also did all of the Deadric quests. I'm at the end of the Thieves guild questline and then I'll move onto the final part of the main storyline.

After that still got some mopping up to do; 50x pickpocketing, ransom in all cities to nam a few.

RealisticIllinformedChital-small.gif
skyrim vr is damn fun, only way to play the game at this point

GymWolf

I went from starting and not really liking Horizon enough to continue with it last year to coming back to it this year and liking it so much that I grinded out the platinum trophy. I'm gonna put it down for now, but I even plan to come back and play the DLC some day. I just enjoy the combat quite a bit.

One thing that would have really solidified it as an amazing game to me is a change to the bow mechanics. If you had to actually lead your shots and the arrows moved in a parabolic arc that you had to plan for on each shot, it would have made the game 10 times more satisfying to play (and it's already satisfying).

Also, the storytelling could be extremely dry in places and everyone looked dumb in their costumes. Though, I liked the heart of the story. What was actually going on was a really cool sci-fi concept that I could have been much more into if told even more effectively. The "Aloy is Jesus" symbolism was pretty cringey, though.
Enemies move around too much and too fast for a realistic bow gameplay imo.

I don't know what difficulty mode are you usong but on ultra hard without any aim help it's pretty difficult to aim for weak spot already.

On the other hand i hate that fucking white lines that arrows leaves behind...

Grinchy

Banned
Enemies move around too much and too fast for a realistic bow gameplay imo.

I don't know what difficulty mode are you usong but on ultra hard without any aim help it's pretty difficult to aim for weak spot already.

On the other hand i hate that fucking white lines that arrows leaves behind...
I just did Hard, but yeah if they did projectile aiming, other mechanics would have evolved differently as well. There would maybe need to be less enemies and less HP on enemies as well since the landing of a perfect shot would be the point instead of hitting a bunch of times.

It also would have promoted stealth even more. You could be sneaking around and have to really take your time with the aiming and choose the right moment, or else be stuck in a situation of the enraged and quick-moving enemy that's now harder to it. I dunno, I just would have personally liked that a lot.

GymWolf

I just did Hard, but yeah if they did projectile aiming, other mechanics would have evolved differently as well. There would maybe need to be less enemies and less HP on enemies as well since the landing of a perfect shot would be the point instead of hitting a bunch of times.

It also would have promoted stealth even more. You could be sneaking around and have to really take your time with the aiming and choose the right moment, or else be stuck in a situation of the enraged and quick-moving enemy that's now harder to it. I dunno, I just would have personally liked that a lot.
I think realistic bow (same for realistic guns) have no place in action packed stuff with very mobile enemies, you need pin point accuracy and realistic bow doesn't cut.

Stealth is pretty important on ultra hard, if you start a fight without some kinda of edge like removing their big weapons or making some big damage from the start you are dead meat because enemies hit like dinotrucks.

Last edited:

Mr Hyde

I apparently got the bad ending in Bloodstained. I fought the (presumably) last boss, killed him on my second try and got game over. Miriam was like, "but we got stuff do, kill demons yada yada, " and that was it. No credits, nothing, just game over, lol. I love these call backs to SotN. I hope the map is upside down later.

GeekyDad

Went back to Puzzle Quest (Steam). Another great "old faithful" game. Just easy to pick up and play for a bit of fun throughout the day. I think I've been playing this game on and off for years now.

I just finished Ghost of Tsushima. What a great fucking game. Very sincere, earned and emotional ending. Great gameplay, great graphics and a great story. Very good side quests for the most part as well and memorable characters. Sucker Punch knocked it outta the park.

My only complaint is that it suffers from the usual bloated open world syndrome. Too many useless charms, fox dens and Mongol strongholds. But those are only minor annoyances when the overall package is so damn good.

SpiceRacz

After the announcement of Mario 3D All Stars, I booted up Mario Sunshine. Haven't touched it since release. Game holds up remarkably well. It's not without it's flaws though. I'm finding that the camera gets stuck behind objects too frequently. Also have trouble finding a comfortable camera placement in the platforming stages w/out FLUDD.

NinjaBoiX

TLOU2.

Its amazing, one of the best games I’ve ever played.

And no, I’m not remotely annoyed by any of the story beats so far (about 25 hours in, feels like I’m very near the end).

Soodanim

Resident Evil 0

It's been a long time since I played the original, so outside of a few moments and areas its's been like playing a brand new game. It's definitely one of the hardest in the series, but I love me some classic RE.

Titan Quest

Made one character, got to the first real hurdle (a level 9 enemy at level 6) and got sick of failing at it so I started again with a new class. Less fancy, more progress. Enjoying it. I bought it a while back after they released that DLC 10 years after release, which I thought was a rare show of support.

ZZZZ

Finished P4G and Wasteland 3.
Not sure what to go for next...
Crusader Kings 3
New character in Bloodstained
Total war Troy
Shadowrun
Plague Tale: Innocence
Frostpunk
I will probably be playing one of these while i wait for BG3 EA.

Last edited:

Kev Kev

FFIX

love it. the improvements made for this game are great. and i only ever beat it once or two times so it feels totally fresh right now. im having a blast

Orta

Banned
Devil May Cry (Switch).

Game I bought my ps2 for, must be near 20 years since I played it and to be honest, my Switch was lucky it wasn't launched against the wall yesterday.

The first spider boss must have killed me about a dozen times. I was close to killing him each time but he always got one final cheap shot in to kill me. I was a drooling rage induced wreck. Surely I've not become this bad at games over the years?

Fortunately I haven't. I'd completely forgotten Dante can transform into an all powerful devil and not only that you have green stars to replenish your health.

I downed him in about 20 seconds after this earth shattering realisation. Game is still fun in a brainless twitchy way though.

cormack12

Gold Member
Fallout 4 - only played 5 hours last time so got back to where I dropped it last time. Liking it better this time round

Finished plague tale couple of days ago. What a beautiful game and the enemies were threatening, small clustered and weighty. Final boss was ok. I did not like the ratnados, thought they looked cheesy af. Environments were up there with the best of this gen at times.

Completely finished RDR2 as well, main story etc. Still keeping it installed for rdro and little dabbles now and again.

Sleepwalker

Gold Member
I finished Control. I feel a bit underwhelmed. No real conclusion.
There’s no real final boss. It feels like something you’d catch on the Sci-Fi (SyFy) Network late at night. Something about a projector that’s barely explained. It leaves more to the imagination than it is captivating
The combat was fun. Things got cool and then it just left me feeling underwhelmed once you accomplished your goal. I definitely don’t get the love for it and I’m kinda glad I only paid $25 for it. There’s definitely some good stuff there, but I really didn’t like exploring anything except the main story. I’m glad I finished it, but something felt off. The actor or whoever they hired for the scientist felt odd. He wasn’t interesting and the janitor thing was just dumb towards the end. That whole annoying song they played during the maze part was awful. Trying to throw in Alan Wake into this is just too easy. I don’t even know how this game got so much praise. It ran like ass on my PS4 and I never say that. I get what they tried to pull off, but it felt so half-assed. A good idea, but not enough meat to it. I just finished the 10 missions. I’m glad I finished it. At least I know what I missed when it had just released. I’d give it a 7/10

I completed it recently as well (within the past 2 weeks) and I loved it but you're right, they don't do a great job at explaining what the hell is going on, you have to pick collectibles and read the logs and entries to figure out the plot and what's what. Also the "bosses" in the main missions are lacklustre or non existent, yet in the side missions you get actual boss fights against entities, like in the fridge side mission. The projector stuff is explained though, but again only through alternative means and not in the actual main cutscenes, etc. Some of the side missions are annoying, some are better than the main story. I hope you didn't miss the ones that give you power ups, as those make the gameplay feel infinitely better. The DLC is apparently good and has actual bosses but I have not played it so can't comment.

The game does run like ass though, I suffered drops into what I assume is single digits on my PS4.

As for the topic, I'm currently working on:

Remnant: From the ashes (co-op with a friend)
Wasteland 3 (co-op, on hold waiting for a patch)
Ori and the blind forest(beautiful game but only play it sporadically)
Quantum Break (only playing it now, but I think I might prefer it to control, certainly in the way the story is portrayed)

SW Fallen Order: Been trying to get into this thing for weeks but it just does not grab me, might give up.

Upcoming backlog games:

FFVIIR
Hellblade
Monster Hunter World
Nier Automata

drganon

I'm currently juggling a bunch of stuff. Tokyo xanadu ex+, valkyria chronicles remastered, xenoblade chronicles de( it'll take me forever just like 2), and tony hawk 1+2. That's on top of still screwing around in animal crossing. I've got more games than free time.

SpiceRacz

Finished P4G and Wasteland 3.
Not sure what to go for next...
Crusader Kings 3
New character in Bloodstained
Total war Troy
Shadowrun
Plague Tale: Innocence
Frostpunk
I will probably be playing one of these while i wait for BG3 EA.

Shadowrun SNES, Shadowrun XBOX 360, Shadowrun Genesis, or Shadowrun Returns?

Top Bottom