• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What gaming memory most of all do you wish you could relive/have recorded/redo?

meanspartan

So I recently saw those Nintendo 64 kids in that Taco Bell commercial and it reminded me how very lucky they are to have such a moment recorded forever. My first console was a Super Nintendo that I got when I was about 4 years old circa 1993. It might even have been 1994, I sadly don't remember the exact year I got it. I soooo wish my parents had recorded me getting that console and playing it for the first time, as all I have are my very fuzzy memories now.

I would do anything to relive those early days playing Super Mario World and Super Mario All Stars. I didn't even realize then that the original Mario 1, 2, and 3 looked a lot worse originally til a decade later, All Stars was the first "HD Remake" of it's time and it didn't click for four year old me that those games I loved actually existed beforehand. For me, Mario Bros 1 and 2 and 3 and Lost Levels look like they do for SNES, not the NES original lol.

And if I could re-do something from that era, I wish I'd given the amazing library of SNES rpgs a go. As I said, I was pretty young when I got the SNES and while I could handle the mario games, F-Zero, and other easy to learn games, RPGs were probably a bit outside of my 4-year-old abilities. But I didn't get another system for a while. From 1993 til I got my Game Boy Color in 1998, SNES was my system. I really wish I had played games like Secret of Mana, Earthbound, etc as I got older. Several I went back and played years later, and recently bought Chrono Trigger's DS port to play on my 3DS finally. But while they remain great titles, nothing beats playing a game when it is relevant and on the cutting edge.

A little goodie for reading my post, check out this old training video. Not for the training, but for those beautiful sealed SNES games!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C990wzFsoho

If I had a time machine, sure I'd go back and invest in Google and all that, but the first thing I'd do was go back to that moment where my dad (happy father's day!) walked up carrying this glorious box:

19010CE7-EDCA-7D58-18F96757803CF210.jpg

I had NO idea how important that moment would become to me, I was just ecstatic about getting a cool new toy. But I quickly realized from the first moment I played Mario that this was not just any other toy.....How lucky am I that my first game was one of the best of all time, Super Mario World? Kids growing up today don't have it anywhere near as good as us in the 1980s and 1990s did :)

I don't know why, but lately I have been feeling super nostalgic for my childhood and teenage years. I'm only almost 26, it's not like I'm that old. And yet I find myself wishing for 1993. Weird stuff.

So which gaming moments do you wish you had recorded like the N64 kids? Which could you relive? What would you do differently? I look forward to reading your stories!

Temple of Time / getting the Master Sword in OoT. Utter sense of urgency to get to Hyrule Castle after saving Ruto and time travelling. Complete sense of awe.

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
Beating Chrono Trigger for the first time. I was like 10 years old and spoke no English. It's the first memory I have of actually beating a game to completion.

I bought Final Fantasy Chronicles when I was about 12 just because "oh, Final Fantasy, I remember that game on SNES, it was fun." Opened it up though and decided on a whim to try Chrono Trigger first, a game I had never heard of at the time. Little did I know that I was about the play the finest damn game ever made.

Weevilone

I'd like to spend some more time in a couple of arcades that I frequented in the 80's. I might find than my memory has embellished them over time, but I think I'm pretty spot on with that. One was small, darkish, and had all the best games. It was definitely quality over quantity. The other had previously been a bowling alley and was just massive, with about everything you can think of.

Dr. Buni

I wish I could play 999 for the first time again. I am yet to play a game with such a great story since then.

Richie

I wish technology gets to a point where Replays in Smash Brothers can also store our screams and trash talk as it's happening

meanspartan

I'd like to spend some more time in a couple of arcades that I frequented in the 80's. I might find than my memory has embellished them over time, but I think I'm pretty spot on with that. One was small, darkish, and had all the best games. It was definitely quality over quantity. The other had previously been a bowling alley and was just massive, with about everything you can think of.

I wish I was born in '79 instead of '89 both so NES woulda been relevant to me and so I could have properly enjoyed arcades. They still existed when I was a kid in the 90s, but were on their way out.

Thanks for sharing :)

meanspartan

Beating Chrono Trigger for the first time. I was like 10 years old and spoke no English. It's the first memory I have of actually beating a game to completion.

This makes me so excited that I am at long last gonna correct that I have never played that game! I have since played most major snes rpgs, but not chrono trigger. Saw the DS port at gamestop last week and decided it was time.

A multiplayer match on Gears of War in Gridlock.

It's me on the Cog side and three others against the Locusts. All four Locusts took out the rest of my team, but as last man standing, I took out all of the Locusts in the flukeiest of victories with a variety of two shotgun kills and two kills in other ways.

And the most perfect fanfare music played afterwards, with half of the voice chat going that was a fluke and the other half saying that was skill.

Whilst the former half were right, it was still amazing. If only recording gameplay was around in 2007 on Xbox 360. If only...

tbb033

Banned
In every version of Final Fantasy IV I play, I always keep a save at the last save spot before the end of Mt. Ordeals.
Cecil becoming a Paladin

grmlin

There were so many good times, impossible to list all of them.

Playing worms with friends, really drunk
First time using my 3DFX card with Unreal
Playing Half Life
Playing all the Lucas Arts Adventures

Oh my. There is so much more. I played too many games in my life o_0

kejigoto

Banned
The first time I played Pokemon Red as a child would be awesome to go back to. The game felt so massive, the possibilities of Pokemon were infinite, I knew nothing about the world or what was to come, and even racing with my friends to get to the next badge, see the next evolution, or whatever.

Also I want to relive when I got my Nintendo 64 so I can stop myself from trading in my Genesis with all those games like a complete idiot. Ugh I still can't believe I did that and all I got out of it was Star Wars Shadows of the Empire and San Francisco Rush.

antitrop

Final Fantasy VII Remake announcement. 18 fucking years of buildup. It was just about the wildest tantric orgasm ever experienced.

This makes me so excited that I am at long last gonna correct that I have never played that game! I have since played most major snes rpgs, but not chrono trigger. Saw the DS port at gamestop last week and decided it was time.

Oh man, I envy you right now for having the opportunity to experience that game for the first time. Hope you love it as much as I did!

meanspartan

Oh man, I envy you right now for having the opportunity to experience that game for the first time. Hope you love it as much as I did!

Well I doubt me playing it now can compare to the experience of everyone who played it in the 90s, but I am still stoked for a quality game!

HagiG7

The first time I played Mario 64 and the sense of freedom I felt just running around in this full 3d environment is my strongest gaming memory and has never been topped.

Also when I left kokiri village and the Hyrule field opened up in front of me..just mind blowing for my 10 years old self.

meanspartan

The first time I played Pokemon Red as a child would be awesome to go back to. The game felt so massive, the possibilities of Pokemon were infinite, I knew nothing about the world or what was to come, and even racing with my friends to get to the next badge, see the next evolution, or whatever.

I loved blue, and the pokemon craze when I was around ten years old was a fuckin amazing time to be a kid. But I remember that all so vividly, as much as I would love to do it all again.

Early years of SNES I remember certain moments and generally how fun it was, but most of those memories are lost to the fog of time, I waa just too young to remember it with much clarity. That's why I think I'd kill for a home video from that time with me even just playing SNES.

Nintenleo

The first time I beat Super Mario World with my first listen of that incredible song on the credits blew me away when i was just 5.

Another moment i would really enjoy to live again was when, after beating the johto league, i discovered the chance to go back in an all new kanto again.

I would have liked to record some of the times I played Halo 3 with my friends. All of us would play it, screw around, and have massive laughs. I think one of the highlights when we played H3 was when the Zombies online mode first came onto the scene and there was that sweet haunted mansion map that guided non-zombie players up to the rooftops. Does anyone remember that map?

meanspartan

The first time I beat Super Mario World with my first listen of that incredible song on the credits blew me away when i was just 5.

Another moment i would really enjoy to live again was when, after beating the johto league, i discovered the chance to go back in an all new kanto again.

I played that game for years as a kid before ever beating it lol. I sucked. But had a blast!

mm04

I don't think I was ever happier while gaming as when I won the lotto for my Indicolite Breastplate in the Plane of Hate in Everquest. The amount of hours put in to get that...will never ever happen again for me lol.

Kookos

The end of Mass Effect 2.
I managed to save the whole Normandy crew on my first try without any help or guides. And then you get to see Harbinger and his friends approaching the Milky Way.

These days, everytime I hear The End Run playing, I get goosebumps instantly.

ugly

I am grateful for the great experiences I have had, but I must move forward. There are further great things waiting to be discovered.

hoserx

First time actually playing Mario 64 after years of seeing footage....... I wasn't prepared. It was the greatest moment in my gaming life, and at age 14, I knew that I was experiencing something amazing. I ran upstairs to explain to my parents what I had just experienced in the basement, playing my launch day n64 on an amdek color monitor I used for my commodore 64 before it...... I was at a loss for words. I suppose I still am now.

Same here. The arcade scene with numerous challengers waiting to battle one another..Going to different arcades and seeing each one have that game the other place didn't have and also being the first place to have a particular game. If I remembered most fighting games came out in arcades before consoles correct?

Purdy

First time playing World of Warcraft when I was 13/14? Nothing has and will ever come close, it was perfect

Bioshock 1:

In the medical ward, opening that safe (or something) and the lights go out. Turn around and a splicer is just there in my face.

I hate being scared, but that felt so good.

Harlequin

I think I'd either redo my first playthrough of Tomb Raider: The Angel of Darkness or my first playthrough of Uncharted: Drake's Fortune. Both were amazing experiences!

Dsyndrome

Finding out my family got a Playstation for Christmas when my parents teased us that we got these PS1 games from folks but had to take them back since we didn't have the system. We were gullible kids.

aliengmr

My best friend and I were trying out a new "3D accelerator" for the first time. We were playing Mysteries of the Sith. At first, it looked pretty shitty and we began to think it was kind of a waste. Then we saw "Enable 3D Acceleration" in the options menu...

I would have loved to see our faces at the time. Neither of us really knew what to expect, but our minds were blown. The difference was so dramatic that we instantly couldn't figure out we actually played games before.

The game went from drab, aliased and low FPS, to high FPS, high AA, and actually had lighting that was vibrant and colorful. I mean you couldn't get more diametrically opposed experiences.

Rafterman

Banned
I'm a huge fan of the MMO genre, but I wish I could get back that feeling I had when Everquest came out. It was like nothing I'd ever seen before and it changed gaming for me. I still play these games bur nothing has come close to those days in the beginning of the genre.

MAX PAYMENT

First time I played Mario 64, I spent hours just running around outside the castle in amazement.

Once the wonder of 3D wore off, ocarina of time hit. I was amazed by the more serious world and a story with urgency.

Halo 1. The second mission is huge and open with a vehicle to drive compared to the usual corridor shooter first level. Absolutely amazed.

Playing your first online game is always mind blowing.

Gears of War rain. 'Nuff said.

Oblivion stepping out of the sewer.

Ps4/x1.... nothing. Maybe how awesome the record feature is.

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
Playing Alien Trilogy for the first time. No joke. It was the first FPS I'd played (I went from Atari ST > Mega Drive/Genesis > PSX). The smoothness combined with the graphics and atmosphere of the game made me almost run home and ask my parents to buy me a PlayStation for Christmas.

Top Bottom