• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What gaming memory most of all do you wish you could relive/have recorded/redo?

Usoto215

Neo Member
The first game I ever beat, with no outside help, was Yoshi's Island. I remember running to my parents room at the middle of the night and screaming with excitement when I beat Baby Bowser. I'd pay money to watch that instant of myself getting hype.

gabbo

A glitch in a really old version of MTA for Vice City in which I landed a helicopter on top of a plane, took off again, and the card, with passenger in side, was still attached. That lasted quite a while. Used to have a screenshot but it's been lost to time and formats.

meanspartan

The first game I ever beat, with no outside help, was Yoshi's Island. I remember running to my parents room at the middle of the night and screaming with excitement when I beat Baby Bowser. I'd pay money to watch that instant of myself getting hype.

I remember getting this excited when I found the first warp zone on level 2 of Super Mario Bros. I musta thought I was the first person to ever find that lol.

royox

If I could erase my memory I would erase Mass Effect and play it again only to experience those two moments again.

mass-effect-shepard-sovereign-conversation-thumb.jpg

and

Mass-Effect-small-213.jpg

I still remember the mindblown of the Sobereign speech.

EMan

SFIII Third Strike Online. My ryu vs a really good shaun. I had a pixel of health left and he was going for a jumping light punch. I parried and did a the shin shoryuken super and won.

(1) When I finally beat Bowser after my friends and I had stayed up until 2 AM playing Super Mario Bros. 3, to 100% completion.

Although it was only 2 AM, it felt like an all-nighter (we were all around 6, 7 years old at this time. This was New Year's Eve, the one day of the year we were allowed to stay up past our usual time). But even though we were spent, the screams of excitement were everywhere. And because they were everywhere, we were all sent to bed (LOL...).

(2) EMan's post above reminds me of one time I *almost* pulled an EVO Moment #37 in CvS2. I was Ratio-2 Rock and my friend was Ken. I jumped, he did a Shinryuken, and I parried ALMOST all of them, except for the very last hit. If I had parried it successfully, I would've landed on the ground first, at which point my friend would've had a Raging Storm waiting for him. But alas... it was not meant to be. Still exciting, though.

Playing mario 64 ds for the first time, first 3d game i've ever played and on a handheld no less. Just ran around in the garden with yoshi for 20 minutes.
Playing wind waker, sailing to every island, exploring an open world that was foreign to my own. First single player console game.
Playing wow, traversing the orange wastes of durotar, getting a new sword or pants and thinking "wow different graphics for each piece of equipment"
These were the biggest highs but mario 64 was just above and beyond. 3d games for the first time after playing 2d ones for years is a hell of a thing.

Getting to level 199 in Columns(the highest possible level) on the Sega Mega-Drive(Genesis). I'd like to have proof of achieving that accomplishment. :p

Staying up until 3 or 4am as an 11 year old playing Jet Moto and Twisted Metal 2 with one of my best friends. This was his last night we'd see each other because his family was moving to the east coast. Haven't seen him since and couldn't find him on Facebook (I'm almost 30 now).

Also playing Suikoden for the first time.

My friend and I stayed up all night once playing the SNES Lord of the Rings game co-op. The game had no save states, so you had to leave it running. We had gathered the entire party, (Finally got Gandalf!!), and were going to finish it in the morning. We were up until 6:00 AM and finally decided to get some sleep. As I went to lay down on the floor, I accidentally kicked the reset button and that 8 hours of progress was lost. I've never had a friend so angry and disappointed at me. I think he just went home instead of going to sleep and we didn't talk for a week or so.

EDIT: This was a moment I would "redo", just redo differently.

NJDEN

Realizing my parents AT&T Wi-Fi card would let me play Star Wars Empire at War Forces of Corruption online...

We had the card for sometime, but when it occurred to me to plug it in and try a multiplayer lobby... The begging of my xfire days and clan wars had begun...

I'll never experience a multiplayer community like that ever again. And now I'm sad.

meanspartan

Thanks for sharing everyone!

I'm loving reading all these!

I don't know why I'm feeling so nostalgic for the 90s and early 2000s lately. Maybe it's because I've recently started a "career" sort of job that has a future in it (as opposed to waiting tables, which I did for 5 years during school) and it's made me cling tightly to my childhood one last time. Even though I'm nearing 26 and well past even being a teenager, I only just now feel like my childhood and teenage years are truly gone, and it's time to be an adult. It's like I'm having some "quarter-life" crisis or something (probably not actually a thing, but still).

meanspartan

I tried googling around but can't seem to find a definitive answer. Does anyone know what year the version of the Super Nintendo that had all starts AND world packed in came out? If I can figure that out, I can probably know the exact year I got SNES for sure (my parents don't remember which year it was).

I do know my SNES is still a model 1, not the revised 2nd one they made later.

B4s5C

Getting/Playing Pokemon for the first time. And throughout the beginning when I beat the game for the first time ever.

grmlin

Oh oh, and my first Multiplayer experience, on the original Gameboy!
Tetris with two people and this F1 racing game that came with the 4 player link! Was the coolest thing back then

meanspartan

Oh oh, and my first Multiplayer experience, on the original Gameboy!
Tetris with two people and this F1 racing game that came with the 4 player link! Was the coolest thing back then

Those link cables were also my first literally "on-line" gaming.

Get it, on-line? Heh

PooBone

Sitting down to play Ocarina of Time for the first time on Christmas morning.
Which in my memory feels exactly the same as the first time I sat down to play Link to the Past on Christmas morning.

wtshaolin

Banned
My moment was actually 3rd person, as my roommate received an OG Xbox from his baby's mama, and I was there when he unboxed it and popped in Halo: Combat Evolved. When the epic music started, I knew shit was about to get real, and sure enough, many awesome times were had with that game.

ignata

Metroid Prime. Had such high hopes for that game, probably more so than any game in my life. They were being crushed in the opening area. Got out of there, landed on Tallon IV...instantly knew they had made a proper Metroid game. The music certainly helped.

Runner ups would probably go to finishing Zelda II (was in elementary school at the time, took me like two years), ringing the first bell in Dark Souls (probably more excited about that than finishing it), playing through Sen's Fortress in Dark Souls, and finding out Symphony of the Night had a second castle. Probably others but that's what flashes in my head first.

Shenmue 2: The Yellowhead Building.

The whole segment is pretty amazing, but when you finally make it up to the roof and finally see
Lan Di, for the first time since he killed your father, escpaing on a helicopter.

DAT STARE DOWN AT THE END.

MisterJoynt

Neo Member
Oh god yes.

Playing Through Half-Life 2 the first time, and then getting to the end of episode 2.

Playing Journey for the first time.

Discovering that you could play with Mario's face at the title screen in Super Mario 64, and discovering each different type of hat he could wear.

The sense of bliss and wonderment for playing through Flower with fresh eyes.

Not knowing just how much of a mind fuck Bioshock Infinite would end up being, I sat in awe unable to put my controller down for the final hour of that game.

Finding the Master Sword for the first time in Ocarina of Time, that and the entire time travel mechanic.

The ending of Mass Effect 2, i want to go back and be amazed over and over again.

Jumping into Liberty City for the first time, watching Claude run amok in the city.

Theodoricos

I wish I could play 999 for the first time again. I am yet to play a game with such a great story since then.

This is a great choice. There's nothing quite like playing that game for the first time and being completely in the dark about its story.

Playing through Silent Hill 2 and getting to the "reveal" towards the end of the game. I would love to relive that just for the reaction.

Fjordson

World of Warcraft, 2004-2007.

The game was pure magic those first few years. Plus my brother was still playing and a bunch of real life friends. It was great. I still enjoy WoW to this day, but there was an awesome social aspect to it early on when the game first started to become a part of pop culture. And naturally there was a huge sense of discovery when playing since everything was new and the internet didn't figure out everything in the game instantly.

Play Fallout for the first time again. After all this time it's still my favourite RPG by far. I think I was about 10 or 11 when I first played it and I was basically glued to my dads pc for months.
It's the game that got me into pc gaming.

I mean, it wasn't the first game I've played on a pc (I think that would be Doom) but it was the first game I couldn't imagine playing on any other platform.

Dame

Anyone remember the swamp in Demon's Souls? Remember those hellish giants with clubs on that lonely island? I got aggroed by them whilst poisoned and made the bull-headed move to run past them...then agro the entire damn map. I ran clear from the start of the area to the shack with the older woman in it. One hit meant certain death. An enemy was this close to swinging at me, but I rolled and fell two stories in this absurd chase. As soon as I was about to get hit again, the animation to enter the boss fight had triggered. Missed me by a hair.

Losing that boss fight was not an option. Not after all that.

That was the most heart attacking-inducing moment in vidya history for me. How you patient/skilled people dealt with that area otherwise is beyond me. Played it safe. shot some arrows at the start and was relieved at the last sword stroke.

wish it was recorded.

SOCOM 2 during its prime, so many memories... have never been part of a gaming community like it since. Doing clan wars, clan tryouts, and just messing around with my clan in Vigilance respawn. Had so many all nighters with that game, was so much fun.

Camonos

Simple. The entirety of Vanilla WoW.

Mhmm. This.

Also, Halo 2 LAN parties. Me and some friends actually got 16 people together for Halo 2 LAN once. Many weekends we would have 4-8. Play all night and drink Red Bull. Those type of things just don't happen organically anymore.

Late Flag

Soloing Ornstein and Smough in NG+, Smough-first. That's actually one of my prouder gaming accomplishments (admittedly not the highest of bars).

grmlin

Those link cables were also my first literally "on-line" gaming.

Get it, on-line? Heh

lol, I was so blown away that we could play together while on the bus/train. We played Tetris like crazy, I remember beeing really good at it back then...

I miss those Multiplayer parties side by side with real persons. Online gaming is cool and all that, but nothing will ever beat the weekends at a friends house playing together.
(after everything was set up accordingly of course. LAN was some serious science for kids :D)

PillarEN

Shadow of the Colossus - boss number 5. Don't want to spoil it. It's the bird one and you know why it's so cool if you've played it.

Playing Majora's Mask for the first time, 100%ing red dead redemption and any memory of Souls games so I could play Bloodborne completely fresh.

Would kill to be able to playthrough Red Dead again for the first time, so many brilliant moments.

ChronoX

Wow ... Seriously NO sleep ???

How ???

On the 7th day I started seeing black spots periodically and objects around my room moving on their own lol. I slept for 24 hours straight after that marathon. I have a permanent black mark on the bottom left of my right palm from that gaming session :) It's from using the mouse for so long!

On the 7th day I started seeing black spots periodically and objects around my room moving on their own lol. I slept for 24 hours straight after that marathon. I have a permanent black mark on the bottom left of my right palm from that gaming session :) It's from using the mouse for so long!

Thanks for replying - That was hardcore to say the least !

spons

Gold Member
Let me experience the master piece that is Majora's Mask from scratch again, please. The scale of the game was amazing, the feeling of having great effect on the world as you progress through the game, only to wipe everything out by going back in time. I don't think a mechanic like this has been done in this way ever again.

Top Bottom