• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What happened to arcade sport games on console?

Spy

The only ones I can think of this generation is Super Mega Baseball and RBI Baseball (which is highly underrated). Does Rocket League count? I guess Tony hawk's Pro Skater 5 too but lol.

NFL, NBA, SOCCER, SNOWBOARDING, BMX, MMA, BOXING... why hasn't anything been done with these sports? Thankfully we have Hot Shots Golf coming up.

WoolyNinja

Rocket League is what every sports game, arcade or not, should've been for the last 15 years! It is THE arcade sports game.

Warxard

Banned
NFL, NBA, NHL, and other sports leagues do not like associating violence with the brand. Bad publicity. No more Blitz games for that reason alone.

Dave Mirra is dead and Skateboarding/Extreme Sports has returned to its niche audience.

Volleyball can only be sold if it has titties. This is true for every single volleyball game in existence.

Rocket League is what every sports game, arcade or not, should've been for the last 15 years! It is THE arcade sports game.

NBA Street Vol 2 is way better than Rocket League.

WoolyNinja

NFL, NBA, NHL, and other sports leagues do not like associating violence with the brand. Bad publicity. No more Blitz games for that reason alone.

Dave Mirra is dead and Skateboarding/Extreme Sports has returned to its niche audience.

Volleyball can only be sold if it has titties. This is true for every single volleyball game in existence.

NBA Street Vol 2 is way better than Rocket League.

NBA Street was great, but I think RL has more depth and staying power

Trace

Banned
Well pretty much all EA sports games are arcadey. None are realistic IMO.

Not nearly arcade enough. I want tricks, jumping off walls, 8 feet tall 400 lb people that are faster than Messi. Basically give me back the Street series.

Trup1aya

Licensing costs, and league image issues killed them. The fact that consumers won't buy unlicensed sports games, keeps them dead.

Warxard

Banned
Sega's decline is what happened

If you sincerely believe SEGA had any sort of impact in the arcade sports genre then you're a delusional fool.

NBA Jam, NFL Blitz, NHL Hitz, Slugfest, Ready 2 Rumble -- ALL Midway.
Extreme Sports? Activision and EA.
What did SEGA do again? Tennis? Volleyball? Two genres lmao wow, such an impact

Thewonandonly

Not nearly arcade enough. I want tricks, jumping off walls, 8 feet tall 400 lb people that are faster than Messi. Basically give me back the Street series.
Man NFL street 2 was the absolute shit. Man I easily beat the mode where you face NFL teams until you get to exhibit like 30 times with friends. Just remake that game i don't care :)

Rikkun

If you sincerely believe SEGA had any sort of impact in the arcade sports genre then you're a delusional fool.

If we want to pretend car racing is not a sport we still can include Football games - Sega Soccer Slam and Virtua Striker. And I'm probably forgetting something.

Gono

Banned
I want a new take on cinematic rpg sports games, like Tecmo's Captain Tsubasa from Famicom and Super Famicom.

4.gif

Some classic arcade titles should come back. I played the heck outta Power Spikes {Volleyball), Super sidekicks and Windjammers.

Edit; Virtua Tennis 5 and Virtua Striker 5. I NEED THEM.

thefro

Dev costs too high to make AAA sports game without pro license. Pro leagues want big $$$ for the license.

The older sports games we remember were made by teams of 10-20 people.

AmyS

dbWpuJn.jpg

Ever since I saw this game in arcades, I wanted it at home. 1989, before NeoGeo MVS arrived in arcades, there was Konami's Bottom of the Ninth.

Brinbe

Yep, no one can afford the high cost of licensing and not enough people will just buy a generic arcade game for it to be worth developing. Those ppl will probably have to find a fix on mobile. Like NBA Jam is on mobile

Rocket League as an exception works for a lot of obvious reasons.

I do wonder if anyone is working to offer modern day mods to older arcade titles like NBA Jam. I know Tecmo Bowl/No Mercy/NHL 94 get that treatment, so that could be another avenue for people who want a fix.

Real talk, EA should probably just release a new NBA Jam each year instead of Live. Makes perfect sense.

Bgamer90

Banned
I really wish EA would drop NBA Live and make a new NBA Street. The game would probably sell more than NBA Live 14-16 combined.

cj_iwakura

Five. Five Maximum Tune games and not a single console release.
(No, Wangan Midnight doesn't count, that was the Genki game, not the Namco one.)

Why do you hate money, Namco?

I want new take on cinematic rpg sports games, like Tecmo's Captain Tsubasa from Famicom and Super Famicom.

4.gif

I might watch soccer more if commentary was that hype.

oni-link

The only ones I can think of this generation is Super Mega Baseball and RBI Baseball (which is highly underrated). Does Rocket League count? I guess Tony hawk's Pro Skater 5 too but lol.

NFL, NBA, SOCCER, SNOWBOARDING, BMX, MMA, BOXING... why hasn't anything been done with these sports? Thankfully we have Hot Shots Golf coming up.

I wish we still got games like SSX

The 2012 version got average reviews then seemed to be forgotten by everyone

Would have loved a well done PS4/XB1 SSX game

So salty dude damn

Virtua Striker, Virtua Tennis, Sega Soccer Slam, Decathelete are great series.

Edit 2 Winter Heat and Sega Extreme Sports also count

Virtua Tennis 2 is still greatest tennis games ever

Edit beaten

There's Mario Tennis and there is more on Nintendo's more successful systems. Just hope that NX is successful if you want a chance at getting more than on Wii U.

Sucks that SSX is dead though as there's no equivalent.

Gunstar Ikari

Unconfirmed Member
The market cares more about having the official licenses than how fun the gameplay is. A generic sports/wrestling game is basically unsellable in this day and age. It's frustrating, because I would absolutely love a crazy hockey videogame.

By the way, where the hell is the new Hot Shots Golf? Seems like it was announced forever ago.

Also, Trackmania Turbo is scratching the arcade sports itch for me.

DrZeus

NBA Street is the GOAT arcade sports title but it's dead cause the sreetball fad died awhile back I guess. But since EA owns both NBA street and jam why not combine the best of both worlds? Make NBA jam 3 on 3. Use streets gameplay with Jams signatures(announcer, cheat codes, wacky hidden characters).

sn0man

EA not creating another NBA Jam is a foolish waste. If I remember the remake was great but you were forced to pick one played (no tag mode was the name I think).

Peltz

I want a new take on cinematic rpg sports games, like Tecmo's Captain Tsubasa from Famicom and Super Famicom.

4.gif

Some classic arcade titles should come back. I played the heck outta Power Spikes {Volleyball), Super sidekicks and Windjammers.

Edit; Virtua Tennis 5 and Virtua Striker 5. I NEED THEM.

Wasn't there something like this on 3DS? I think by Level 5? Sorry I'm blanking on the name... Something Eleven?

Edit: Inazuma Eleven (I haven't played it though).

Besides, as far as this thread is concerned, Nintendo still makes some occasional arcade sports games. Of course, the last two Mario Tennis games weren't very well received.

The makers of Super Mega Baseball have to give us something else. They nailed it with baseball now if they could make a Football or Soccer game with that much charm I'd be a happy man.

Ansatz

Well pretty much all EA sports games are arcadey. None are realistic IMO.

Nah they are all grounded in reality and follow real life rules. Arcady means the gameplay only resembles the sport on a surface level but in reality it plays nothing like the actual thing. Then you have decidedly gamey aspects such as power-ups that grant you special abilities for a limited time, and other crazy shit like running/jumping way beyond the limitations of real humans.

People who play consol sports games are usually fans of the sport itself and want to emulate the experience. Arcade sport games have a different goal, they're just fun games not necessarily meant to be played by fans of the sport. For example I'm not particularly fond of basketball but I have a blast playing NBA Jam.

I also really miss exaggerated/goofy animations, modern games have sapped all the charm and are just so incredibly boring for me.

Top Bottom