• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What happened to Carmack's promise for Rage PC experimental features? Answer: Zenimax

Remember how at Quakecon 2011 he said that like back in the days of Quake, he intends every experiment he makes with id Tech 5 and using Rage's codebase will be released for PC gamers to use all new features? From two old posts of mine:

I remember during his keynote, he was like <<post launch "maybe" we'll patch in Eyefinity support>>, "maybe" we'll release a higher quality texture pack, "maybe" we'll release unsupported experimental versions of the exe, "maybe" we'll provide the option to run 16k^2 textures, "maybe" we'll offer the option for better filtering, "maybe" we'll include new options for the perfect motion blur or the perfect antialiasing, "maybe" this, "maybe" that.

Carmack "promised" a lot of things about the PC version of Rage, support for Eyefinity, HMD, "perfect motion blur", "perfect AA", a high bitrate exclusive level..

He said he intended to experiment with the idtech 5 engine, and he would release experimental executables.

Nothing of the above came out (hell not even mod tools, that at first they were saying they would be included with the game itself!)

And here's a snip from an older version of Rage's wikipedia page:

At QuakeCon 2011, Carmack mentioned a number of additions PC version of RAGE might receive in the forseeable future. These include unofficial patches as Carmacks named them "research engine things, "far-out technologies"; such as HMD support, Kinect support, "tracing, splatting, voxels and non-polygonal stuff", "perfect motion-blur" and "perfect anti-aliasing". id Software is committed to update the id Tech 5 engine past Rage's development.

Finally, some closure, I guess. Here's what happened to them: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=47338842&postcount=38

John Carmack said:
However, I don&#8217;t think that a good business case can be made for officially supporting Linux for mainstream games today, and Zenimax doesn&#8217;t have any policy of &#8220;unofficial binaries&#8221; like Id used to have. I have argued for their value (mostly in the context of experimental Windows features, but Linux would also benefit), but my forceful internal pushes have been for the continuation of Id Software&#8217;s open source code releases, which I feel have broader benefits than unsupported Linux binaries.

:\

mr_nothin

Banned
Jeez guys, did any of you even mess with the configs and add SGSSAA?
It was soooo clean looking. Textures werent that great up close but IQ was great.

Shmowzow!

Banned
Another example of how a publisher limits the developers non-mainstream efforts, because there is no (direct) profit in it.

In a perfect world, all devs would be privately owned and would not have to worry about publisher stuff. Then someone who has the product on his mind can make decisions like these, instead of someone with dollar sign eyes.

GabeN will deliver.

Top Bottom