• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What happened to MW 2 remaster?

Acidizer

Banned
I thought this would ease the pain of no COD campaign this year but it didn't materialise. Was is a fake rumour or what? I loved spec ops! Would seriously buy a spec ops based game alone for full price. Zombies are fucking awful, they just NEVR nailed the feeling. Felt like I was shooting at cardboard.

I went to play MW 1 remaster... I downloaded it for hours only for it to tell me it to put in the disc of the game that it was bundled with... which is either discarded or lost. smh. WHY?! Yet another scumbag move by Activision... it's tied to my account. I shouldn't need a disc!

So MW 2 remaster... it never was?

Jay_TCE

Neo Member
Most people thought that MW2 Remaster was likely because of no single player campaign in BO4 but no official source said a thing about a MW2 Remaster. They were just working on Blackout instead. Maybe someday though.

Last edited:

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
It was only ever pure speculation. People just assumed they'd be doing it after MW4 was redone. It'll still probably happen in the future, but I can see them pulling the same scumbag disc move again to get people to buy the latest installment.

Crew 511A

I personally think the rumors were true and were leaked by Activision. However, when everyone lost their minds at the notion of MW2 being campaign only, I think Activision decided to pump the breaks and release it a year later with multiplayer. At least that is what I think will happen. I can't see Activision turning its back on that kind of money.

J-Roderton

Swear I thought I read that it was confirmed for the near future. Really would be the only thing I'd want from COD anyway. Not touching Black Ops 4.

baphomet

No, MW Remastered is tied to the disc. Same reason you have to put every game you purchase physically in the console to play it.

Acidizer

Banned
Swear I thought I read that it was confirmed for the near future. Really would be the only thing I'd want from COD anyway. Not touching Black Ops 4.

Yeah I thought it was semi-official at least... bummer. Loved the campaign and spec ops. Would have been a perfect release this year for those who don't play online.

Acidizer

Banned
No, MW Remastered is tied to the disc. Same reason you have to put every game you purchase physically in the console to play it.

Na. I (re-)downloaded it from my "purchased" games under my library in PS4. There was NEVER a disc for it, and NO-ONE else can play it... it's just a total dick move by Activision. Sympathizer! :messenger_grinning_squinting:

Didn't think for one minute I'd need a disc, like everything else on that list. Waste of time and bandwidth. More "anti-consumer" BS... like Spyro not being on the disc.

Last edited:

baphomet

Na. I (re-)downloaded it from my "purchased" games under my library in PS4. There was NEVER a disc for it, and NO-ONE else can play it... it's just a total dick move by Activision. Sympathizer! :messenger_grinning_squinting:

Didn't think for one minute I'd need a disc, like everything else on that list. Waste of time and bandwidth. More "anti-consumer" BS... like Spyro not being on the disc.

I'm all for consumer rights, but to think you should be able to play a physical game you purchased without having a disc to verify that is asinine.

If what you actually thought were the case why wouldn't everyone just pass the disc around to their friends so they could also "purchase" it and play it?

Acidizer

Banned
I'm all for consumer rights, but to think you should be able to play a physical game you purchased without having a disc to verify that is asinine.

If what you actually thought were the case why wouldn't everyone just pass the disc around to their friends so they could also "purchase" it and play it?

Again it was never a physical game you could buy. There is no disc, so no you couldn't just pass it round your friends.

Last edited:

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
I'm all for consumer rights, but to think you should be able to play a physical game you purchased without having a disc to verify that is asinine. If what you actually thought were the case why wouldn't everyone just pass the disc around to their friends so they could also "purchase" it and play it?

It's not the same thing at all. MW Remastered was a one-time use code that you needed to insert the Infinite Warfare disc to play. Normally you can sell / pass on a game disc and have full access to what's on the disc (even if it requires you to download patch/update data like Spyro which is not code-based), but here, once you redeem that code, you're stuck with a physical copy of Infinite Warfare whether you like that game or not. The IW discs lost most of their value once resold, I know because I checked several times shortly after its release.

It's one of the only games that has done it as far as I can tell and it's basically Activision's way of saying "we know you're more bothered about the remaster than the new game, so we're going to make you buy the new one to get at the old one". Of course, they released it standalone much later when the bulk of the sales were already made, but this was nothing more than a sales tactic, and quite a shitty one.

Acidizer

Banned
Yep there's a code you need to redeem to get access to download the MW 1 remaster. Once one person has used it, no-one else can... so there is no need for the disc. It is total BS that it is tied to the disc, scummy deliberate practice. So now it's tied to my PSN account AND a disc...... you can't really defend that.

Last edited:

Acidizer

Banned
See... this is Activision we are talking about.

I'd complain but last time I had dealing this Acti support it was truly dreadful. They dragged it out over weeks on purpose (if I was being cynical) to make me give up... it worked I said it fuck it, doesn't matter. There was WEEKS in between replies, the apparently sole support employee goes on holiday a lot. They are truly out to shaft the customer it feel like. (I was trying to get a replacement for WWII disc that was scratched and temperamental from birth)

Snoopycat

Banned

I bought a key from Kinguin and ran into the same problem. Luckily I got a refund but then I found a work around. What you need to do is create another profile if you don't already have one. Then start a private party and invite that profile. Load up the game and your good to go.

Codes 208

It may have been for one of two reasons.

-the absolute backlash of how mw1 remastered was treated (originally being part of a special edition, being told it would never be seperate then a year later it was seperated, plus a mp that was riddled with MTX's and p2w guns)
-or they already hit their quota of exploiting nostalgia by allowing it to be BC on xbox considering it hit 8th on the npd in the month it was released.

Last edited:

Morinaga

I think Activision tried to remove all the very best parts of the game and sell it as premium DLC, then realised they had no base game to sell, so cancelled.

Or I think their next idea was to sell one big loot box, where you have 2% chance of getting the base game and 98% chance of getting a pink beanie for your character.

Honestly though IDK, maybe they figured the original games that are over 10 years old would compete to well and make it pointless. Having 2 versions of the same game, one with loot boxes and less content, and the other without loot boxes and more content. Which would you choose.

MDSLKTR

I want call of duty 2019 to be a remake with the long rumored Ghost chapter. Throw in battle royale with classic modern warfare maps and boom.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Such a shame. One of the fondest memories of last gen was MW2. I bet it would have been major competition for Blops 4. The line for the midnight launch of MW2 was rivaling Skyrim at the time.

Top Bottom