• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What happened?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Portman

Glad the site is back up. Brought back memories of the older E3 days like had been mentioned. I must admit I was a bit bummed out trying to find Gamescom news after work and the site being down along with no way to find out the site status.

Bill O'Rights

Seldom posts. Always delivers.
Staff Member
We are all on our way to the debrief

oppenheimer-oppenheimer-movie.gif

Just an unavoidable outage because of datacentre relocation.

Last edited:

Lord Panda

The Sea is Always Right
CloudFlare has custom error pages (customise pages based on response codes) that can be set up to appear whenever the site goes down or is unreachable.

A site statuspage would also be pretty cool too (something like Atlassian Statuspage or Freshstatus). Just set up an API status page that displays JSON keypair values component:status and then have a python script that scans that page for the component statuses, and then updates the public statuspage components accordingly.

EviLore EviLore please can Patrick S. Patrick S. and Fuz Fuz get a month or two ban instead of a permanent ban? I'm sure they regret pushing there luck and would apologise given the chance. It's a shame to see long term members disappear.
I'm with the motion to bring back Fuz Fuz once he's learned his lesson. Long time members should receive some affection for spending much of their lives here.

Pejo

I'm with the motion to bring back Fuz Fuz once he's learned his lesson. Long time members should receive some affection for spending much of their lives here.
I'm no psychology expert but it does seem like they were both just joking. I'd also like to cordially request a re-evaluation of the perms. I realize that this might have been a bad time to joke about things with the stress caused by the recent downtime, but that feels a bit severe.

-Zelda-

Banned
I'm no psychology expert but it does seem like they were both just joking. I'd also like to cordially request a re-evaluation of the perms. I realize that this might have been a bad time to joke about things with the stress caused by the recent downtime, but that feels a bit severe.
I do not know either of them, but I will also like to request review for this situation. I hope I can stick around as long as they have.

Topher

Gold Member
You can always set up a temp page and have your domain relocate to it, can you?

Yeah, you would have to setup an external site and modify the DNS to point to the new IP. But even then it would take time for DNS change to replicate. Probably not worth the hassle.

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
Yeah, you would have to setup an external site and modify the DNS to point to the new IP. But even then it would take time for DNS change to replicate. Probably not worth the hassle.

I don't know man, I'm using AWS and this is something that can be done with few clicks in Route 53, I wouldn't call it a 'hassle'.

NeoGAF is a product. It sells ads and even sells premium subscription in form of Gold. I think this it the bare minimum that you should do when going offline for so long.

Maybe it's just me.

Topher

Gold Member
I don't know man, I'm using AWS and this is something that can be done with few clicks in Route 53, I wouldn't call it a 'hassle'.

NeoGAF is a product. It sells ads and even sells premium subscription in form of Gold. I think this it the bare minimum that you should do when going offline for so long.

Maybe it's just me.

My apps are run in Azure so downtime isn't a thing unless I'm pushing a new container and even then it is a matter of seconds to restart the app with the new image. This sounds like a traditional physical server setup though. A bit more involved just to put a downtime message. I get what you are saying though.

Tams

Maybe it's just me.

Honestly, as much as I joke about being addicted to here, at most a cumulative 24 hours of down time not even once a year, for something that is not critical to anyone is not an issue.

As for Fuz and Patrick S.; it is a shame to see them gone, their comments didn't come across as jokes to me. And they chose the wrong person at the wrong time to annoy.

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
Honestly, as much as I joke about being addicted to here, at most a cumulative 24 hours of down time not even once a year, for something that is not critical to anyone is not an issue.

Tell that to people who subscribed to Gold the day GAF went down. It's not about SLAs, because let's be honest, there are none, but about principle. But whatever, no point in discussing it further.

What did they do?

Check the entire thread and you'll know.

Tams

Tell that to people who subscribed to Gold the day GAF went down. It's not about SLAs, because let's be honest, there are none, but about principle. But whatever, no point in discussing it further.

Check the entire thread and you'll know.

Why? Did they get charged but not receive Gold despite contacting the admins? If so, that's the first I've heard of it.

Other than that my point still stands. If the downtime was measured in a week or more a year, sure I'd see good reason for being pissed off. It's not though, is it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom