• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What happens in the event of a nuclear attack somewhere on the globe?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was thinking after the last debate and the "4 minutes" comment by hillary - what happens if there's a hostile nuclear strike somewhere in the world?

Are there defense systems that can intercept or stop the strike? Is it just a matter of retalitory strikes?

I assume that it's not as simple as north korea finally gathering up enough duct tape and kerosene to get a missile headed our way and that's it.

Gallbaro

Banned
1 warhead or multiple warheads in initial launch?

Since rudimentary game theory:

1 warhead would not result in nuclear retaliation.

Multiples would result in salted earth retaliation, end of world, hope to die in first wave rather than nuclear winter.

Kiss your ass goodbye and pray you and everyone you love are either close enough to die instantly or somehow the expected results such as a nuclear winter all turn on it to be wrong.

I imagine the strategy would be attempts to intercept the warhead followed by a counter attack using either nuclear weapons or other missiles depending on the situation. It'd all come down to who is firing and where they are targeting.

FStop7

Banned
http://www.state.gov/p/io/potusunga/207241.htm

Today, every inhabitant of this planet must contemplate the day when this planet may no longer be habitable. Every man, woman and child lives under a nuclear sword of Damocles, hanging by the slenderest of threads, capable of being cut at any moment by accident or miscalculation or by madness. The weapons of war must be abolished before they abolish us.

Ihyll

Even if a country was attacked, the world wouldn't be dumb enough to allow a nuclear war to start and wipe out all life on earth.

Retaliation would be a massive invasion into the attacking country to prevent them from launching any more nukes.

amar212

I honestly think there is literally no event imaginable where any country with nuclear capabilities would use the bombs.

Among all realist models or any scenario, I do not see it happening.

Only way would be that some proxy player succeeds in overtaking one small part of some arsenal to use it as a single event.

Nothing else makes no sense.

Even if a country was attacked, the world wouldn't be dumb enough to allow a nuclear war to start and wipe out all life on earth.

Retaliation would be a massive invasion into the attacking country to prevent them from launching any more nukes.
This is amazingly naive. What makes you believe any invasion could stop ICBM, cruise missile, air dropped, or sub launched nukes?

Abounder

Banned
It would probably be through proxies/terrorism instead of from a state actor. In which case expect decades of hapless crusades, ala a megaton Iraq War. But if it was launched from a missile then yes there are defense networks/etc

I'm not quite sure how the whole "Missile defense" scenario works, but I cannot imagine you could stop the amount of missiles X country could be launching. If for instance, Russia was to launch against somebody like the US I do not think there are enough defenses in place to stop Russia from launching anywhere close to the 7,300 warheads they possess. What would probably happen is the US would try to negate the first strikes and then counter with their own warheads.

I honestly think there is literally no event imaginable where any country with nuclear capabilities would use the bombs.

Among all realist models or any scenario, I do not see it happening.

Only way would be that some proxy player succeeds in overtaking one small part of some arsenal to use it as a single event.

Nothing else makes no sense.
All it takes it one nut-job in North Korea to cause worldwide devastation. Logically nobody would ever think to use Nukes yet we are all still stockpiling them.

.JayZii

Banned
Depends on who gets attacked, but presumably a lot of dark super secret military tech would see the light of day.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
If a country with a small amount of nukes launched on a country with a lot you'd probably have quick calls to the allies of the smaller nuclear power basically saying "We're going to wipe * off the globe. You can let it happen or we can do the same to you. No pressure.".

I was thinking after the last debate and the "4 minutes" comment by hillary - what happens if there's a hostile nuclear strike somewhere in the world?

Are there defense systems that can intercept or stop the strike? Is it just a matter of retalitory strikes?

I assume that it's not as simple as north korea finally gathering up enough duct tape and kerosene to get a missile headed our way and that's it.

All the major powers have air defense networks that can shoot down missiles. Of course the most complex networks would be in Russia and the US due to the cold war. Although China and some other European powers should have sophisticated ballistic missile defenses as well. Other powers may have their own defense networks as well but not as complex as the previously mentioned powers.

smurfx

get some go again
if just one nuke then maybe they launch an emp and knock that country into the stone age and then if they see further hostile action they then nuke that country into the ground.

Clydefrog

Hopefully the nice Aliens would be on top of it and stop it before it starts the end of the world. Please, oh, creator??

Hexa

So the US, EU, China, and Russia (yes, still) aren't dumb enough to actually nuke someone. But what if a country like Pakistan nukes India? How would that play out?

The scariest thing from a worldwide perspective about a single rogue nuke launch is how nuclear armed governments respond.

Look at the story of Stanislav Petrov

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stanislav_Petrov

On September 26, 1983, just three weeks after the Soviet military had shot down Korean Air Lines Flight 007, Petrov was the duty officer at the command center for the Oko nuclear early-warning system when the system reported that a missile, followed by another one and then up to five more, were being launched from the United States. Petrov judged the report to be a false alarm,[2] and his decision is credited with having prevented an erroneous retaliatory nuclear attack on the United States and its NATO allies that could have resulted in large-scale nuclear war. Investigation later confirmed that the satellite warning system had indeed malfunctioned.[3]

A single man possibly saved the world from nuclear annihilation based on his own judgement that his equipment had malfunctioned

The Argus

Kinda depends who fired it. North Korea attacking South Korea/Japan/US Bases? Expect an equal or greater response from the US. Dat Umbrella. Note this is a few missiles.

Iran - Israel? Iran is gone, probably a ton of the Middle East as well. WW3.

Pakistan - India? End of the world. Hundreds of warheads. We all slowly die from the effects of this.

Russia - US? End of the world. Thousands of warheads. We all die in a brilliant flash of white.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
Depending on when and where it was dropped, I'd go grab myself a 4k capable playstation.

From initial launch a large scale exchange would be over in a little more than a half hour.

It depends on the context of the attack, particularly who and why.

A single nuclear strike would be rather bizarre given the capabilities of the nations that do largely possess a nuclear nuclear arsenal. Of course there's the usual suspect who might just actually be crazy enough to try it as a simple show of force against the US, at which point point I'd think it'd be over for that particular regime. China has shifted its official stance to a mutual protective alliance with North Korea, so if North Korea decide to actively be the aggressor - which any use of nuclear weapons blatantly would be - they're on their own against what is likely to be a very, very angry international community.

Anyone else though, against anyone else? That gets a lot murkier.

Any nation (other than you know who) that would be found seemingly culpable of launching a nuclear strike against another would probably be quick to try and deflect any sense of actual, national responsibility for it. They wouldn't know just how in the world one of their weapons managed to fire, and will launch an internal investigation immediately please don't retaliate and start a war. Except, in the likely event that thousands are dead, many nations - especially powerful ones with large militaries - would not stand idle. The US invaded two sovereign countries hoping to catch the people responsible for killing a few thousand people on one day; its not hard to see the same willingness if there was a death toll that exceeded that by quite some degree. Yet what if it was say, Sierra Leone that got hit? They would have to implore their allies to intercede on their behalf, and while there would be great shock and disdain at a nuclear assault, no doubt, they might be slower to react, especially if the suspects were another ally. Then you have countries that chiefly have regional ties, that may not be strictly allied to any nuclear power or large nation. They would have to plead for help from the international community in general, who might not be so willing to leap head first into conflict against a guilty nation that isn't as isolated as some others are.

That's even assuming the attacks clearly get pinned to one nation. If its terrorists setting off a nuclear weapon, ala Modern Warfare, who do you blame? Just the terrorist cell themselves? Sounds rational but no way would that satisfy the grieving. Their country of origin? Well, just because they're from a country doesn't mean that nation gave the ideology or drive to do such a thing. If you try to hunt down every connection, what happens if some of those do implicate members of a foreign government, but not the whole government?

Tl;dr, a bloody mess.

Az987

all good things
All it takes it one nut-job in North Korea to cause worldwide devastation. Logically nobody would ever think to use Nukes yet we are all still stockpiling them.

I'm no expert but I'm pretty sure that if North Korea uses a nuke, it would just assure their destruction.

Minus whoever they hit, no other country would say don't retaliate against North Korea, or else.

It would be something like North Korea launches a nuke in the general direction of something and 50 are instantaneously launched at every possible nuclear missile site they have.

kswiston

If a smaller agent like North Korea launched a nuke, I doubt there would be nuclear retalliation. Regular bombs could easily level the entirety of their infrastructure.

If Russia launched a nuke on the US or NATO, goodbye world. Hello The Road.

TAJ

If a smaller agent like North Korea launched a nuke, I doubt there would be nuclear retalliation. Regular bombs could easily level the entirety of their infrastructure.

Naw, we'd have to nuke them to minimize the artillery damage to SK.
"But China..." you say. No country is going to commit suicide over the memory of NK.

I'm no expert but I'm pretty sure that if North Korea uses a nuke, it would just assure their destruction.

Minus whoever they hit, no other country would say don't retaliate against North Korea, or else.

It would be something like North Korea launches a nuke in the general direction of something and 50 are instantaneously launched at every possible nuclear missile site they have.
Note I said "Worldwide destruction". I have no doubt that if North Korea tried to nuke somebody they'd be obliterated off the face of the earth, but that is true for anybody who attempts to use Nuclear weapons. The thing is though that if their launch successfully hits its target it would still cause a worldwide disaster. The damage to the planet alone would be devastating, but depending on which country they hit the aftermath would almost certainly cause a disaster in the world economy.

Altazor

Watch Threads (BBC film) and learn, painfully and regretfully, what would happen.

Required viewing for any commander in chief.

Short answer: this.

Long answer: watch it and despair. And pray nuclear war never ends up happening. One of the bleakest things ever done.

What's stopping a leader from taking the world down with him? Say Putin is on his deathbed or Kim Jong just wants everyone to die with him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom