• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"What if" Chris Crawford updated "Balance of Power" for XBLA? Would it sell?

Brimstone

my reputation is Shadowruined
Just thinking how intresting it might be for Chris Crawford to update the classic "Balance of Power" for XBLA considering the current global political climate.

I was also pondering playing other people over LIVE. To make so people take the game more seriously, if you lose too many games as a result of nuclear destruction you can't log into to play another game for a week or so. You know some really hard core game mechanics that no other game would dare to do.

Crawford was good a pushing the envelope, it would be intresting to see what risks he would take trying to update this and having losing the game have a more serious consequence.

BuddyC

Cool of an idea as it is, I can't see Microsoft approving a game where losing prevents paying customers from actually playing it.

slight OT, but DefCon should be a XBLA game.

and BEFORE the fücking moans about controls, it is possible to tweak the interface, so its not a clickfest, it is quite slow paced anyways.

Templar Wizard said:
slight OT, but DefCon should be a XBLA game.

You win this thread.

Also, since I cane into this thread (for whatever reason I can not fathom) thinking it was about XvT, I will have to point out that I really think some incarnation of X-Wing vs TIE Fighter would make an INCREDIBLE XBLA game.

Brobzoid

how do I slip unnoticed out of a gloryhole booth?
balance of power owns. but I don't see it selling more than a few thousand, if advertised heavily. How much do xbla games usually sell? something like MK for instance...

Never happen. Why? Because that'd be something actually worth buying on XBLA and that's not the way they're running that ship over there.

*goes back to playing Rally X*

tahrikmili said:
You win this thread.

Also, since I cane into this thread (for whatever reason I can not fathom) thinking it was about XvT, I will have to point out that I really think some incarnation of X-Wing vs TIE Fighter would make an INCREDIBLE XBLA game.

Let the thread derailment continue!
i agree entirely. but! why not tart-up and by tart-up I mean normal-map and laminate XvTIE :)

you were thinking Larry Holland when you read CC i guess.

VALIS

Hitler Stole My Potato said:
Never happen. Why? Because that'd be something actually worth buying on XBLA and that's not the way they're running that ship over there.

*goes back to playing Rally X*

I think you're being a little harsh. If Assault Heroes was developed by Treasure (which it very well could've been) or some other Japanese dev, they'd still be mopping up the jizz stains on this forum. Heavy Weapon is this week, and that game is hot shit, although it is on PC already. Worms, Castle Crashers and Alien Hominid are very imminent, along with Castlevania.

And I love the old arcade stuff, personally. *shrug*

See, I can totally understand why people are disappointed in XBLA in regards to their speed, or lack thereof. Whatever excuses they give, games constantly missing deadlines and target dates is a bad thing.

But content wise, I think it's been great. The feature was never supposed to be solely an outlet for indy and small games development - there are supposed to be lots of arcade classics on it. I'm fine with that. I hope they port 500 arcade games over to XBLA, I'd be in heaven. But if you look at the lineup as a whole in 13+ months:

Indy/small games: Geometry Wars, Mutant Strom Reloaded, Lumines, Alien Hominid, Wik, Outpost Kaloki X, Small Arms, Novadrome, Cloning Clyde, Roboblitz, Totem Ball, Marble Blast Ultra, Zuma, Astro Pop, Feeding Frenzy, etc

Plus retro releases like SFII, Doom, UMK3, Worms, Smash TV, Pac-Man and Ms. Pac-Man, Frogger, Castlevania, Contra, Dig Dug, Galaga, etc etc etc

Plus parlor games like Uno, Texas Hold 'Em, Backgammon, Hearts, Spades

And then you look at the list of confirmed games for 2007, which is pretty incredible, and I dunno, man. Content wise things seem as good as I'd hope. It's just the delivery that needs to be improved. DON'T MISS WEEKS!

ElFly

Most people don't know who Chris Crawford is, or what is "Balance of Power".

If you are expecting that it would sell on pure name recognition, forget it. With a proper marketing campaign and a little hype, maybe.

Even then, it is a game way too unfriendly, for the usual Xbox Live gamer.

Wow . . . 'Balance of Power' . . . now there is a real blast from the past!

I loved that game . . . I played it on an Amiga 500. There is some 80s nostalgia!

I'm not sure how you could update it . . . 'Balance of Power' refers to the balance between two super-powers fighting proxy wars. Today we live in a uni-polar world (if you think we are still a super-power) or a non-polar world (if you admit that Iraq is a quagmire disaster).

I'd love to see either the original 80's cold war version or an updated version for today's weird world. The game was a great tool for learning too. There are low-level conflicts in most countries and I bet most Americans don't even know who the players are and which side we support.

I'd love to see more PC/console games on XBLA, not just Arcade stuff. The upcoming line-up is doing this with Worms, Castlevania, etc.

XBLA needs to be a mix of old arcade, new indie, old console, and old PC games.

puck1337

I would love that, though it's doubtful that Crawford would want anything to do with it. Too busy with interactive storytelling.

Brimstone

puck1337 said:
I would love that, though it's doubtful that Crawford would want anything to do with it. Too busy with interactive storytelling.

I don't know. The X-Box LIVE experience is something that didn't exist when he was cranking out games.

He could just update the game to include only the Middle-East powers. That would be really intresting just including that geo-graphic region.

Brimstone

arne said:
that's Command HQ actually, from Microprose. no idea how well that did anyway.

Axis_and_Allies.jpg

pic43835.jpg

Except no substitute for the boardgame.

They have the new Europe and Pacific version of the game out now from Avalon Hill.

Top Bottom