• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What if Nintendo announced a 3D Switch?

MDX

As the title suggests...
How would you feel if the next iteration of the Switch comes with a 3D screen?

Original -> Oled -> 3D Oled

This is not about Nintendo's next gen console, but whether a 3D version of the Switch would be a feature that would keep customers buying into the Switch product line.
A feature that would allow Nintendo to port over their 3DS games and generate interest for future games like Metroid Prime 4.

Thaedolus

Gold Member
Season 5 No GIF by The Office

would be awesome. As someone who loved the 3d on 3ds, i would buy it. Never understood the hate by some. You could turn the 3d off and even adjust the amount.
The 2ds was just a dumb product. It took away the main thing about the 3ds, and didn't even fold.

I don't think this is going to happen though. Since nintendo took out 3d in late 3ds games and launched the new2ds or whatever it was called, I doubt they care about 3d anymore.

I hated how Dragon Quest 8 on 3ds had no 3d, and SMT Strange journey had no 3d as they were made late in 3ds lifetime. It should of been mandated to have 3d. DQ7 had it and it was great.

CamHostage

5584841295_0a400eb030_b.jpg

I'd like it personally, as I enjoyed the 3d novelty of 3DS and lament the death of 3D TV (it could be so much cleaner now with 4K and UHD BD, and Passive 3D got cheap... actually, I'm not even sure why Active 3D died? i don't believe the screen needed to be special, it just needed a good processor to control the framerate flicker and signal to the glasses, that seems easy with beefy modern smart TV processors.) Plus, people could always just not use it if they don't want to.

However, the people compelled by 3D these days are not that easy to find, even when the 3D is good.

Last edited:

Sleepwalker

Second hand 3DS have ballooned in price so I would take this for sure, specially if it was somehow backwards compatible, even if only digitally.

Stratostar

I would be stoked personally. It’d give me an actual reason to play in handheld mode and could enhance many games greatly along with a higher res OLED display.

radewagon

I'd buy it right away so that when it performed well below expectations and prompted Nintendo to quickly give the hardware a significant price drop, I could be one of the lucky few to receive free exclusive digital games as part of the updated Ambassador program. :messenger_sunglasses:

Also, I love 3D, so I'm probably legit being more honest than sarcastic here. :messenger_expressionless:

Zannegan

The tech is cool, but concept wise, it feels at odds with the Switch. You get this great 3D view in handheld then you drop it in the dock and, poof, gone. It would also mean you couldn't build games around the 3D concept, so it would basically only be a visual gimmick. Hardware-wise, you'd also need to do twice the work per frame, so I'd save it for their successor rather than a variant.

With that said, I'd like to see them do an optional VR headset for the Switch 2, which wpuld habe a lot of the same logistical issues as your 3D idea so I acknowlege that I'm not exactly objective/unbiased here.

ResurrectedContrarian

Suffers with mild autism
3D screens are amazing, and gaming on the 3DS was absolutely incredible

Unfortunately, I've come to realize that around 40% or so of people have an obvious disability with viewing stereoscopic images properly, and they ruined the market for these innovations. It's a sad state of affairs that the rest of us are still getting held back by the "I cant focus on it / find the sweet spot / makes my weak eyes uncomfortable" people.

alucard0712_rus

Gold Member
I thought it too!
7 inch OLED + 3D will be much better than it ever was on 3DS.
It's my dream Switch :messenger_halo:

3D in portable mode in 720p
Full HD in Docked mode.
8GB RAM, 128GB SSD and it will be perfect.
Add to that Switch compatibility (or 3D with patches) and we will have best handheld console yet IMO.

3d was a failure
You have two eyes sir. It's realization that was lacking, not the idea itself. Or you wanted to see a good 3D on a 10 year old handheld with small cheap TN screen?

Last edited:

Shifty1897

I thought the 3D effect on the 3DS was just a dumb gimmick. I would turn it on briefly for oohs and aahs and then immediately turn it back off once I was ready to start playing for real again.

Nintendo loves to do this innovation shit, and sometimes it pays off (Controller vibration, wireless controllers, gyroscopic aiming, etc all became popular because Nintendo did it right first) but really, they have a winner in the Switch, they really don't need to do much to a Switch 2 to make it successful, just make it a better Switch.

TexMex

The 3D fad is dead. 3DS came at peak 3D hype, when every movie in theaters had a cheap 3D retrofit version too. 3D is (almost) dead in theaters, the 3D home television market never took off at all, and even Nintendo pivoted to sell the 3DS without 3D. Never coming back.

Robb

Gold Member
Can’t say I’d be a big fan. It was neat on 3DS, but even back then I didn’t use it very much.

I’d rather see some new gimmick than a retread of that one.

deriks

4-Time GIF/Meme God
Doesn't make any sense

3DS came because 3D screens were a thing back in the day. Was the Nintendo way, and worked fine. But nobody really cared, and they knew this as soon as it came out

Stamps1646

1. 800-1080P
  2. 40-60fps options
  3. Anti-aliasing
  4. DLSS/FSR support depending on the hardware manufacture they go with.
  5. Improve quality/drift concerns with Analog Stick on Joy-cons
  6. Discord Voice Chat support
As someone who frequently experiences motion sickness or eye issues resembling seizures when viewing 3D. I personally wouldn't want it, but if the device supported it, I would disable the feature.
Since there are other hardware limitations with the Switch that need to be addressed, I would not want it to be a main feature.

Last edited:
Top Bottom