• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What is a joke you've heard a million times, but never understood why it's funny?

Status
Not open for further replies.

HTupolev

Yes, but then shouldn't be "Why was Seven afraid of Six? Because Nine Seven Eight!"
It's a pun that doesn't work without the number sequence. Your version is just a rearrangement of the original joke into roughly Yoda sentence structure; the earlier version uses a different digit sequence that Yoda could actually use if he was telling the joke.

Also, you mixed up the first part; six should be afraid of seven.

Garlador

It's a pun that doesn't work without the number sequence. Your version is just a rearrangement of the original joke into roughly Yoda sentence structure; the earlier version uses a different digit sequence that Yoda could actually use if he was telling the joke.

Also, you mixed up the first part; six should be afraid of seven.

9, 7, 8 are not sequential. 6, 7, 8 are, preserving the counting pun.

No. In yours, seven eats nine and is then scared of six, which doesn't make sense.

In the picture, seven eats six, which causes five to fear seven.

I'm running a high fever, so it took me at least an hour for this joke to finally make sense.
I was laughing at their expressions regardless.

StoneFox

I am 26 years old. How have I never realized this. I thought it was a dumb anti-joke a la "What did the farmer say when he lost his truck?" / "Where's my truck?"
It is a dumb anti-joke. Most people just hear the joke too early in life to understand the appeal of anti-jokes and thus think it must have a punchline to be funny.

The other side is whatever you want it to be. "Why did the Chicken Cross the Road" has been done for so long that it no longer works as an anti-joke.

Griss

They're gaf memes. The last of us joke came from a thread backfire where OP tried to play it off like that was said in the game then switched his story to mean "no this is a thread where we put the titles of games into dialogue" or something like that.

The Last of Us meme was a thread started with a quote "You know, Ellie" taken directly from 4chan where that exact joke was used for months. It was definitely intentional but definitely stolen.

Richie

No soap radio ;)

Oh God, we actually nicknamed a girl Penguin because of that joke. We told her a version with two penguins and she was adamant on knowing what the punchline was. We told her she had to pierce apart all of the words in the joke, syllabus by syllabus, and then it'd become obvious. Cue recess, no one sees her outside. My bud goes pick up his lunch money at the classroom, and there she is, Penguin, alone, writing in her notebook as she whispers "ra-dio, ra-dio" to herself.

Stairway was edited out in later releases cause the license for the song was too expensive.

Thanks for explaining this. It always confused me how he doesn't actually play Stairway yet the guitar store guy instantly recognizes it. It ruins the joke if you know the song.

shanafan

What's up?

Chicken butt.

(Heard it years ago, have since copied it, but no idea what it means besides the rhyme I guess?)

Lo_Fi

Any knock knock jokes

Here's a good one.

Me: "Hey, I've got a good knock knock joke."
Them: "OK"
Me: "Alright, you start."
Them: "Knock knock"
Me: "Who's there?"
Them: ...

You get to trick someone into realizing they started a knock knock joke of their own without being ready to tell the full thing.

I recently figured out that the saying is "Be there or be square" because you're not a-round.

No. In American slang, a square is a boring person. It comes from jazz musicians in the 1920's, who valued unique time signatures for their music. When a conductor wanted the time signature to be 4/4, or common time, he would draw a square in the air with his hands. Thus square was associated with boring.

If you're not "there", a presumably exciting place, then you're obviously boring.

CloudWolf

The other side is heaven.
What? No. It's an anti-joke. The reason it's funny is because there is no punchline. Why did the chicken cross the road? Well, he wants to get to the other side of the road. The listener is supposed to expect some sort of silly answer, but there isn't.

Don't believe me? Here's the Wikipedia article on the joke.

It wasn't intended to be a joke, but the lyric "You're beautiful, no matter what they say" is absolutely hilarious to me. It never gets old!

That's not it. There are tons of lines in that type of speech that aren't as remembered.

Also Wayne's World is an icon of pop culture. I don't get how you can possibly say it's forgotten.

I've heard the name, but I've never seen it and I can't think of a single time it's come up. Not exactly exactly forgotten, but far from an icon of pop culture. This is actually my first time hearing a home from the movie.

Ultima_5

I've heard the name, but I've never seen it and I can't think of a single time it's come up. Not exactly exactly forgotten, but far from an icon of pop culture. This is actually my first time hearing a home from the movie.
Just cuz you don't have the knowledge doesn't mean it's not a pop culture icon. I was born after the movie and same with my friends and we have all seen it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom