• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What is happening with Vram requirements in 2023?

How much Vram du you have?

• 1 Gb

Votes: 5 1.5%
  • 2 Gb

Votes: 2 0.6%
  • 3,5 Gb

Votes: 2 0.6%
  • 4 Gb

Votes: 14 4.2%
  • 6 Gb

Votes: 29 8.7%
  • 8 Gb

Votes: 99 29.8%
  • 10 Gb

Votes: 39 11.7%
  • 11 Gb

Votes: 9 2.7%
  • 12 Gb

Votes: 47 14.2%
  • 16 Gb

Votes: 27 8.1%
  • 20 Gb

Votes: 4 1.2%
  • 24 Gb

Votes: 55 16.6%

• Total voters

Spyxos

All of a sudden, almost every 2 games is extremely Vram hungry. Have you guys had vram issues as well? Even on 1080p with 8gb vram I've had problems in some games. I'm starting to get a little nervous. I didn't expect my graphics card to limit so much so fast.

Forspoken, Hogwarts Legacy, Dead Space? Resident Evil 4 Remake, Last of Us Part 1

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
1675714867504.jpg

1idexv.jpg

But yes, the requirements will go up, not down. And of course some dev should optimize their game. It is what it is.
And btw, anyone who think it is worse now than 10 years ago didn't game on PC at that time.

MikeM

20gb of vram. Either you ballin in pc masterrace or you might as well be a console peasant. /s

In all seriousness though- anyone thinking Nvidia should think long and hard if dlss is worth the crippling of amount of vram they provide (save for 4090).

I went 7900xt mainly for vram and my god is it seeming like a smart move.

Last edited:

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
This is usually with max or near max settings though and usually with some kind of ray tracing turned on.

MikeM

Crossgen period slowly ending. People still need learning the lesson, when next gen consoles arrives, you should double ram, like PS4 8gb > PC 16gb, PS5 16gb > PC 32 gb. Vram should be like whole console PS5 16 gb > PC 16 gb VRAM. That is for comfort gameplay. Story is repeat, same was happen with PS4
Yep. Console is more efficient than PC by nature.

8 GB 2070. If the Series S can run the games, so can I. I’m not at all fussed about max settings.

I definitely wouldn’t recommend anyone buy an 8 GB card at this point though unless you’re just playing esports or Minecraft.

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
3080 12GB.

If the consoles can use up to 10GB for VRAM, what is the surprise games with double the frame rate and some higher graphics settings using more than that?

Last edited:

Laptop1991

8gb like most, it's not the Vram, it's the lazy, not optimized ports PC games are getting a lot of now, the main companies give them to smaller studios who mostly have a bad track record of doing them, GTA DEF Editions and others come to mind, i'm not paying for bad, broken product's.

Last edited:

Crayon

I got a really good deal on a 6600xt (8gb) around november. The only bad thing was that I already had 8gb with a 570 black. I'm planning on using that 6600xt for a shorter interval than I normally would though, so I went for it. I want to see what is on the market by the time this is choking. I just need to get through startfield in a satisfactory way. It looks ugly anyway so I can compromise to wring another year or whatever out of this card and really get my money's worth.

10GB was enough at 4K over the last few years I've had my 3080, but this year it seems like requirements have gone up as we wind down cross-gen releases. Having said that I now run a 4090 and haven't seen any games run higher than 14GB at 4K so far

Knightime_X

Use 1440p
Textures, shadow quality, and volumetric lighting absolutely don't need to be at max settings.
In most cases, medium looks just as good as ultra.

4k + high res textures + other crap = gimme vram

16gb is ok for today, but for future cards, i wont buy a card that has less than 24gb.
cards cost big bucks, so i better get big vram.

hitting your vram limit jacks up performance big time.

As much as the minority of gaf will tell you that you will need high amounts of VRAM they are wrong. I wish good luck to all publishers and companies trying to make shitty unoptimized ports on PC and selling their products.
j30gN9N.png

Never believe anyone on gaf who tells you you'll need a 4090 or whatever the fuck. The percentages speak for themselves. Shitty ports will soon stop just like they stopped when PS4 launched. Just wait before buying at launch.

By my estimation, 12 GB will increase with most users and replace the majority of 8GB users in 3 to 4 years.

Last edited:

winjer

Gold Member
It's just normal that with a new generation of consoles, vram requirements would increase significantly.
We had a period of crossgen titles, but we can't be stuck with 8Gb forever.
A console like the PS5 has 16Gb, and this will be the base for games going forward. Or course it also uses 3.5Gb for the OS and apps.
But Windows also uses a bit of vram for compositing the desktop with transparencies and effects.
And on top of that, games on PC use higher quality settings. Higher resolution textures, higher LODs, higher resolution shadows and volumetric effects. And even advanced ray-tracing.

Still, for those that have GPUs with less vram, there is always the option to lower settings. It's not like everyone has to run games at max settings.

3070 asus tuf with 8gb of vram
PC game requirements just went up through the roof because of lazy system optimisation and the new gen cards, what can you do

Elios83

What happens every gen? When developers start to make games conceived for next gen consoles the PC requirements become considerably higher, in this case nVidia has tried to get away selling 1000$+ GPUs with 10-12 GB of VRAM while consoles have 16GB plus standard SSD.
Requirements will stabilize in a couple of years until the next console hardware cycle.

Last edited:

Skifi28

There's two ways of looking at things:

1)Developers are collectively losing their minds.

2)Nvidia have been way too stingy on RAM as usual and it's finally catching up to them, again. Still remember the times certain people regretted buying those gimped 2GB cards being recommened as "fine".

Last edited:

Spyxos

There's two ways of looking at things:

1)Developers are collectively losing their minds.

2)Nvidia have been way too stingy on RAM as usual and it's finally catching up to them, again. Still remember the times certain people regretted buying those gimped 2GB being recommened as "fine".
I blame that all on Nvidia. It's not exactly the first time that it has happened. Gtx 970 with fake 4gb Vram. And the new Rtx 3080 cards that had too little Vram from day one.

T4keD0wN

2)Nvidia have been way too stingy on RAM as usual and it's finally catching up to them, again. Still remember the times certain people regretted buying those gimped 2GB being recommened as "fine".
I dont think Nvidia minds. Its their plan to get people to upgrade sooner or buy a higher tier card.
Hopefully more customers will respond by switching to AMD or intel instead.

flying_sq

24gb, waiting on a 4090 ti and see how much it costs and performance bump over the 4090. If it has 32 GB and is between 1,800 and 2k, I'm in

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
3080 12GB.

If the consoles can use up to 10GB for VRAM, what is the surprise games with double the frame rate and some higher graphics settings using more than that?
The consoles have access to 13GB give or take going by past trends. 2.5-3GB is reserved for console function. In the past slightly more was freed up over time as well as functions were more streamlined.

zeroluck

Also interesting lot of games are allocating 2-3gb less than what is available, imo just allocate all the VRAM available and put a big warming to close Chrome and apps that consume VRAM when playing the game.

poodaddy

I have 8gb on a 2080 super, looking to upgrade this year for sure. I have a 4k oled monitor lol
Exact same set up here, only I'm on a 1440p 144hz monitor and with a regular 2080, no super here :/. Yeah I'm starting to feel the age a bit, but I simply refuse to pay the asinine prices that AMD and Nvidia are charging for this gen. I want a 4080, but I would only buy it at about half price. As things stand, I'll keep with PC for well optimized releases and the stuff that's simply better on PC, and for the AAA titles that seem to so often suffer from stutter and the like, I'll keep to Series X for most of em and PS5 for that platform's exclusives.

Top Bottom