• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What is the best game engine?

Mythoclast

I think it’s fair to divide them between open world engines and engines built for more linear games.

In case of linear games, I’d say that the best one is the RE Engine, the games look beautiful and run so well even on old hardware. After that I’d say the COD engine and ID (or whatever Doom runs on).

For open world games, I’d say the CD Projekt Red engine and even Bethesda (with all the jank but you can’t deny the interactivity is unparalleled).

Overall, I’d say the RE engine is the best engine on the market right now, kudos to Capcom.

And RIP Fox Engine, the true GOAT

SlimeGooGoo

Party Gooper
cdc.jpg

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
You got good mentions OP. I would add the Northlight engine which was recently illustrated in Alan Wake II. Frostbite can also be very good if in the right hands.
Rage Engine (Red Dead II) is incredible too, especially with Euphoria. Tempest Engine (Last of Us II) is also greatly optimized for the PS5.

I think all of those can showcase some of the best stuff in a video game and at this point it all comes down to preferences.

killatopak

The best engine is only as good as the best games released on it. Even then some engines are the best only in the context of what they specialize in.

For me it's Source. It's very versatile and runs on a potato while still looking good. Highly customizable, moddable and feature rich.

Unity is another one. Despite its reputation, it's probably the best 2D engine right now.

Renpy. If you know, you know. It's free and it's made to do one thing and one thing alone. Very beginner friendly.

Depends on the game.

Snowdrop probably sucks for making a sim racer. Making a 2D platformer on Northlight won’t be easy either.

If you talk about the most versatile then you end up with Unreal & Unity.

Loomy

Thinks Microaggressions are Real
I think it’s fair to divide them between open world engines and engines built for more linear games.
Is it though? Also, not how this works.
  • Dragon's Dogma 2 (Open world) is being made using the RE Engine. Same RE used for. Devil May Cry, Monster Hunter, Resident Evil
  • Horizon is built on Decima. So is Until Dawn. So were the Killzone games
  • Octopath is made is Unreal. So is Gears. So is Kingdom Hearts & FF7 Remake
  • Most of EAs games (NHL, NBA, Need For Speed, PvZ, SW: Squadrons, Dragon Age, and of course Battlefield) are made in Frostbite

Last edited:

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Depends on the game you want to make. RE engine is pretty awesome for action games, highly efficient and scalable, but would it make racing games like the Codemasters engine? Highly unlikely. Every engine is best suited to different sorts of things.

Shut0wen

You got good mentions OP. I would add the Northlight engine which was recently illustrated in Alan Wake II. Frostbite can also be very good if in the right hands.
Rage Engine (Red Dead II) is incredible too, especially with Euphoria. Tempest Engine (Last of Us II) is also greatly optimized for the PS5.

I think all of those can showcase some of the best stuff in a video game and at this point it all comes down to preferences.
Northlight looks pretty but everything else is ass, lip sync issues (present is everyone of there games since alan wake), terrible mo cap, engine cant even open doors right

cireza

Team Ninja's "whatever you call it" engine. Dead or Alive 6 looks absolutely stunning and fights loaded in 3 seconds on Xbox One.

Metroid Prime Remastered also looks fantastic.

Sonic 3D games also use a very well made engine (Unleashed, Generations, Forces).

Great engines, optimized, not wasting resources with useless shit.

Last edited:

Naked Lunch

Ill go with Valve's Source.
Seeing those physics in Counter Strike Source for the first time was Mario 64-like.
The source games held up for years too.

Mephisto40

Most iconic would probably be the Doom engine used in the original games

It's surprising how easy it is to make your own FPS game with a couple of editing tools

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
bEEtU4r.png

More people who dont know how engines work talking about engines, when what they are answering is what are their favorite games/developers/graphics something else but they arent actually talking about best engines.

Cuz the "best" game engine depends on the use case.
ForzaTech is probably leagues better for Forza Horizon 5 than Decima would be out the box.

Ive only used Unity, Unreal 3, 4 and 5, CryEngine 3 and 5, Godot in passing, and Source(2).

• Unity is probably the easiest to jump into and have a working game relatively quickly, if you actually use HDRP properly its also a stunning engine.
  • CryEngine 3 for its time was amazing for rendering, but everything else was one step too many to do simple things
  • CryEngine V is actually a step forward but its still not quite there for me.
  • Godot has a ways to go but its on the right path for sure.
  • I only used Unreal Engine 3 in its UDK form and i was a baby so I cant properly comment on how good or bad it was.
  • Unreal Engine 4 introduced Blueprint which made the engine so much more of a pleasure to work with, and all the freely available extensions make it an excellent choice these days, just that bloat.
  • Unreal Engine 5 shortens iteration time so much I cant help but be impressed, so much so im basically exclusively tinkering in that engine now, even more so than with my offline renderers. DataSmith is basically a oneclick solution. Its become my go to 3D Sketch machine.....and it keeps getting better with each iteration.

If ReX actually ends up being Indie licensable, I cant wait to get my hands on it and give it a go, the things coming out of RE Engine are already impressive if ReX is even better and we get to tinker with it.....count me in.
I do wonder if theyve got their documentation on point, one the reason CryEngine 3 was quite rowdy to work with was that as an indie there wasnt much support or documentation, you had to license the engine before you even got any real help.

As for the best engine.....probably Soft Engine:
doax3-news-4.jpg

At first I thought this post was premature.......but nope the thread proved it.......again.

Denton

I am partial to RED Engine (RIP) and RAGE engine (RDR2). Just amazing looking games that run great and are 100% stable (on my PC at least), with zero stutter.

Although RDR2 could load faster, its 30 seconds is embarassing next to 5 seconds of Cyberpunk.

winjer

Gold Member
On the perspective of a PC gamer, RE Engine is a strong contender for the best. Very well optimized and great graphics.
Northlight is also good, but it's used on very few games.

Probably the worst is UE4. The amount of games with severe issues of stuttering from shader compilation and asset streaming, is enormous.
And then there are performance issues from it using only one or two main threads.
A devs might have a different view, as they value ease of workflow. But for PC gamers, UE4 was a disaster.

Last edited:

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
What makes a good engine?

Unreal is obviously unmatched when it comes to tools and versatility. And with the available content libraries we have seen 1 man projects that look like AAA games.

Red Engine has the most advanced rendering, I think, and it pushes and utilizes the hardware really well. Excellent threading etc. But also a lot of jank.

I dunno, it's a weird question to ask people who don't make games and haven't used multiple engines.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Unreal is obviously unmatched when it comes to tools and versatility. And with the available content libraries we have seen 1 man projects that look like AAA games.

Did you mean to say Unity here.
Cuz Unity beyond their mismanagement of licensing has been levels and levels beyond Unreal when it comes to available extensions and support is well above Unreal.
UE is catching up but Unity is still well ahead.

Dexero

I love the Scorpion Engine. It’s a retro game making engine dedicated to the Amiga and the Megadrive/Genesis.

It has allowed the creation of many new prety impressive games since its creation a few years ago.

GymWolf

Good devs are what make an engine shine.

And before you say that some engines have inherent flaws like ue4 and its shader compile stutter you should also know that some games in ue4 have exactly zero stutter whatsoever like atomic heart, so once again, devs are what matter the most.

Last edited:

midnightAI

In case of linear games, I’d say that the best one is the RE Engine, the games look beautiful and run so well even on old hardware. After that I’d say the COD engine and ID (or whatever Doom runs on).

For open world games, I’d say the CD Projekt Red engine and even Bethesda (with all the jank but you can’t deny the interactivity is unparalleled).

Overall, I’d say the RE engine is the best engine on the market right now, kudos to Capcom.

And RIP Fox Engine, the true GOAT
Dunno, I haven't used them all to develop on

Top Bottom