• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What is the best game engine?

nkarafo

Forza engine

amAVEEX_700b.jpg

KvDtZ81.png

T4keD0wN

My favourite is Unreal Engine 5 for one reason only: it leads to something that is a decade overdue, the death of the worst thing to happen to the industry since the horse armour, that thing/plague being Unreal Engine 4

Last edited:

Tams

Ugghh, here we go again.

I'm not a game developer and can't code for shit, so honestly I don't know.

Are there even any game developers, especially coders, left on this forum? Their opinions on this are the only ones that carry any weight.

Last edited:

Ywap

My favourites for visuals/performance ratio are:

Snowdrop, Anvil and RE Engine.

Last edited:

Ogbert

In terms of stability and performance, Snowdrop always delivers. Although it’s not the most exciting.

Fbh

I'm not a dev so I dont know which is the best/easiest to work on. Given how many studios use it I imagine Unreal is the most versatile, also having a whole external team worrying about the tech is probably easier than having to develop an engine in house.

As a player though I like Decima. Most of the games made with it seem to reach this sweet spot of looking AND running great on console.
An UE5 game looking slightly better is worthless to me if it means having to cut resolution and performance in half compared to something like Forbidden West.

Last edited:

GymWolf

i can take a look in screenshots or a still frame, but then you look at it in motion, stutters galore on a 4090 and 7950x3d.
They fixed the stuttering from the demo, the game run nicely for everyone on pc.

If you have heavy stutter, it's something on your end, i have very llitle and rare stutter with a worse pc, but that is basically every game on pc bar almost none.

Astral Dog

Im not sure, i don't think there is a perfect 'engine' from what i heard UE with the fourth version got improvments for third parties that made development for a lot of games easier and produced great results

REngine is good tech but its only used by Capcom, before that they had MTframework wich was praised as well

Then you have cases like Square Enix who invested a lot on that luminous Engine thing, they did managed to release pretty games with it, but the tools had their own developers scratching their heads so much they had to reboot development of their major projects with UE4

Last edited:

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
You can't tell if the cooker or the knives the chef is using is any good by the food they put out. You need to ask the chef or cooks.

Failed and stupid analogy.
Maybe not, but when the food is consistently shit no matter the chain, and all the restraunts tend to use the same knives and cookbook over and over again, a correlation forms. We're pretty good at pattern recognition, us humans.

Last edited:

CamHostage

Red Engine has the most advanced rendering, I think...

I don't think I'd say that? I'd say they have a game out which uses the most advanced rendering systems, but saying they've got what nobody else has just because they had the money and manpower to deliver PT in a game in 2023 (and a project ready which could use those advanced techniques well) is probably not correct. It's cool they put the work in to launch a game with playable PT options, but I'm not sure other engine developers are looking at Red Engine thinking they're impossibly behind the curve, even though it ultimately matters what you actually get to the people versus what's brewing in the lab (which is one of many factors that makes "best engine" discussions mostly moot, since every developer uses an engine for what they need and also devise their own customizations of the engine for their project.)

Top Bottom