• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What is the best Science Fiction movie of the 21st century?

What is the best Science Fiction movie of the 21st century?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
I'll give the vote to District 9.

giphy.gif

GreyHorace

Aside from Children of Men, Annihilation and Moon,, I've seen and liked most of the films on that list. Especially Instellar (which I found very similar to 1997's Contact), and Blade Runner 2049 (which I thought was fantastic).

But... Inception just blew me away man when I first saw it. One of best movies I've seen without a doubt.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
I was torn between Interstellar and Moon. A great sci-fi movie should be true to the spirit of written sci-fi while also embracing all audiovisual tools of the medium, and I think both of these movies hit that target.

Sorry for nitpicking the list, but Inception feels more like magical realism than sci-fi. The dream-tools at the heart of the story are unwrapped more like in a fantasy novel. There are no consequences for use of the technology itself and its rules are never broken. Sci-fi usually touches on the dehumanizing effect of technology, it's downsides, and how it can glitch and cause unexpected problems.

Her (which Jesus Carbomb Jesus Carbomb mentioned) is more sci-fi than Inception.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
I like Ender's Game the most. Of course, it gains from the amazing book it is based on, but it is also different enough to warrant watching and reading both.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Interstellar. Those are all great choices, but Interstellar is also the best overall movie in design, acting, music, cinematography, concept, and science.

Props to Children of Men for stellar acting, cinematography, and having a solid scifi movie without space.

Kudos to Arrival for having the best concept.

Airola

1a) Another Earth

RsawnSb.gif

Oh what a disappointment this was...

Watched it with a friend, we both had bought the dvd years ago and both had a lot of excitement to watch it but only recently had the chance to watch it.
It was awfully boring but we both laughed afterwards because the movie was quite like what we had both thought that would be fun to make; to have a cool scifi concept but the movie never really addressing it that much and mostly focusing on something else, that it would be fun to do as an experiment and with a bit of trolling. And now we watched a movie like that and were bored for the most of it :D We sure got what we asked for, lol!

Who knows, maybe that would be a better experience with a different state of mind and with a lot less expectations.

Watched it with a friend, we both had bought the dvd years ago and both had a lot of excitement to watch it but only recently had the chance to watch it.
It was awfully boring but we both laughed afterwards because the movie was quite like what we had both thought that would be fun to make; to have a cool scifi concept but the movie never really addressing it that much and mostly focusing on something else, that it would be fun to do as an experiment and with a bit of trolling. And now we watched a movie like that and were bored for the most of it :D We sure got what we asked for, lol!

Who knows, maybe that would be a better experience with a different state of mind and with a lot less expectations.

NYFjbfC.gif

Last edited:

Jtibh

Banned

I had the smae experience with avatar.
There is intellectual scifi for the smart ones who can go beyond whats presented on the screen and then there the i dont want to think just hit me with some action garbage.

On topic. The fountain and donnie darko.

Arrival? Innahilatin?? Pffff

I feel like Children Of Men and District 9 are so much more horrifying since they're really not that far from reality at all.

I'm also surprised by how many votes Interstellar got.

JimiNutz

Banned
Didn't make it in time for the poll but my favourite on the list is probably Ex Machina.

Gravity was an also amazing cinema experience in 3D (but lost a lot of impact on second viewing at home).

District 9 is also amazing.

Ascend

I wonder if y'all didn't watch Arrival, or if you simply didn't like it. That movie had me pondering my own life for weeks.

Top Bottom