• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What is the best trailer of all time for games?

Robb

Gold Member

I can’t choose between them. They’re both absolutely incredible.
Sweating James Mcavoy GIF

RagnarokIV

Any Kojima directed trailer for Metal Gear Solid up until 4.

Deus Ex Human Revolution E3 trailer.

Anything else is terrible.

Strategize

In terms of impact at the time of release, this...A trailer so epic it even fucking convinced casual console COD dudebros to pay attention to a WRPG. That "FUS ROH DAH!" drop lived so rent free it spawned it's own viral meme at a time before gaming memes were even that popular. And if that wasn't enough, it also had the added impact of it being the first time actually seeing the game in action. There are games more dear to me than Skyrim, but I'd be lying if I said this wasn't the best videogame trailer of all time.

Last edited:
Came to post that. It’s the definitive answer and nothing comes close. And I’m far from being a Kojima fan but this was just insane.
People that didn't grow up in the time just can't fully understand the jump, it was such an astronomical jump in visual and audio presentation from it's previous iteration. It kind of opened people's eye's to what the future was going to look like for a long time.

STARSBarry

Gold Member
To this day I still remember this trailer, its what got me to buy the game after it's... below average reviews

And thank god I did... this game was utterly fantastic in coop, its what I was hoping Exoprimal could have been... the stakes where ridiculous and this trailer sums up the utter insanity the game was.

Robb

Gold Member
Lol at the Botw trailer, while I love the game this trailer is in no way an accurate representation of it lol. I wish it was that exciting.
Yeah, they definitely made sure to utilize those memories in there. A lot of sneaky cuts.

Lol at the Botw trailer, while I love the game this trailer is in no way an accurate representation of it lol. I wish it was that exciting.

It’s a trailer. Literally the point is to drum up excitement. I’d argue you could make the same case for every game vs its best trailer. And same with movies.

OP didn’t ask “what trailer best matches the content of the game”. 🙄

Last edited:

Buggy Loop

MSG 2

ZOE2

Kojima was unstoppable in those years for making trailers. When you compare these to what the other studios were outputting for trailers in those years, it's drastic the production value difference. Even nowadays they are unmatched i feel.

radewagon

Guess I'm posting this again:

Somewhere, there's a timeline where this trailer is more reflective of the final product and we got an MGSV that was an experimental horror-themed psychological action thriller based mostly within the confines of a large hospital and a small surrounding town. Like "A Cure for Wellness" but with Snake.

Alpha Male

Gears - "Mad World"
Assassin's Creed Revelations - E3 trailer
Halo 3 - Believe and Announcement trailers
Skyrim
Battlefield 2042 - "Kickstart my Heart" E3 trailer
Mass Effect 2 launch trailer

How has this one not been posted yet? Might just be the best of all time:

OG Assassin's Creed TV spot featuring Teardrop by Massive Attack

Last edited:

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
I don’t care about game trailers they’re not necessary a representation of the final product.

Mahnmut

People that didn't grow up in the time just can't fully understand the jump, it was such an astronomical jump in visual and audio presentation from it's previous iteration. It kind of opened people's eye's to what the future was going to look like for a long time.
Exactly. It was also an amazing showcase of PS2 capabilities. Truly something special that couldn’t be done on the Dreamcast. I remember we still had a dial up modem at home. My brother and I literally waited hours for the trailer to download. Once we hit the « play » button I couldn’t believe it. Great memories :)

First ones that came to mind.

In terms of impact at the time of release, this...A trailer so epic it even fucking convinced casual console COD dudebros to pay attention to a WRPG. That "FUS ROH DAH!" drop lived so rent free it spawned it's own viral meme at a time before gaming memes were even that popular. And if that wasn't enough, it also had the added impact of it being the first time actually seeing the game in action. There are games more dear to me than Skyrim, but I'd be lying if I said this wasn't the best videogame trailer of all time.

But this wins, I will never be in high school again and looking forward to a new game as much as Skyrim. I watched this so many fucking times. Incredible.

I think a lot of people don't feel it lived up to it (I think the game is fantastic), but the first proper story trailer for Ragnarok was incredible, I'll at least show it some love:

Last edited:
Top Bottom