• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What is the dumbest/weirdest thing you ever wrongly believe was correct about a video game?

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
Personally, I thought that Dragon Age was a coop game at 4... yeah ik

1529447814-morrigancgi-fa.jpg

royox

That Mario 3D World was a good platformer with good controls as Nintendo usually does. Then I played it.

Grinchy

Banned
I somehow believed something I had read about unlocking Luigi in Mario 64. It involves like 20 minutes of random and specific tasks. I was like 14 and dumb enough to try it like 5 times desperately thinking I could get Luigi.

I remember being told a massive lie about Beyond Oasis for the Sega Genesis. Something about dying on purpose a bunch of times at a spot and some other nonsense in order to unlock a special spirit?

But ever since the advent of Internet nothing comes to mind.

kingpotato

Ask me about my Stream Deck
I actually continued to believe the No Man's Sky lies about the included features for a while after release thinking that the mechanics were just too esoteric for me to figure out.

kingpotato

Ask me about my Stream Deck
I just remembered a better/dumber one!

When monster rancher for the ps1 came out I thought music genre affected the monster you got. So like a Christmas rap CD would generate a dog with a Christmas cap and some gold chains.

ickythingz

Banned
I somehow believed something I had read about unlocking Luigi in Mario 64. It involves like 20 minutes of random and specific tasks. I was like 14 and dumb enough to try it like 5 times desperately thinking I could get Luigi.
I remember this. I never believed it, but I never didn't believe it either. There was always that question in the back of my mind, but I never saw true proof either way, so this mystery just sorta vanished into time for me. It's not possible... right?

Not exactly wrong but regional discrepancies in Street Fighter 2 Turbo.

English language version says Cammy and M.Bison were lovers
but Cammy had an accident and lost her memory.

Japanese language version says M.Bison planted Cammy as a spy
but then Cammy lost her memory.
It doesn't explain how she lost her memory.

I still don't know which account is canon within SF2.

Zannegan

I just remembered a better/dumber one!

When monster rancher for the ps1 came out I thought music genre affected the monster you got. So like a Christmas rap CD would generate a dog with a Christmas cap and some gold chains.

I thought this was true, but only for Sony-produced music. I never played the game, only heard it described recently (though I did watch the show recently), but I thought using specific music to unlock certain kinds of monsters was its gimmick.

Trogdor1123

All those mortal kombat rumors... I remember reading an interview with boon I think about the time mk3 came that said that not even all the secrets in mk1 were found... So much time wasted looking for them

Scrollhjul

Neo Member
When I played the older Final Fantasy games I didn't understand what Phoenix down was supposed to be, I thought "well the phoenix stands for resurrection and the down... because the character is downed?"
The really embarrassing part is that it wasn't until I was an adult that it finally clicked what it was. To be fair English isn't my first language, but still, yeah...

I thought this was true, but only for Sony-produced music. I never played the game, only heard it described recently (though I did watch the show recently), but I thought using specific music to unlock certain kinds of monsters was its gimmick.
I'm pretty sure my copy of Nirvana's Nevermind had a unique monster, so I don't believe it had anything to do with Sony.
As for its gimmick, it was more of a lootbox than "oh I bet this Christmas CD gives me a Christmas monster". Those kinds of monsters were the outlier, reserved for very popular CDs like Mariah Carey's Christmas.

Kavorklestein

Neo Member
007: Goldeneye (N64) - "Paint Brush slapper" was supposed to be a paintbrush looking weapon that you could use for one hit Kills with the slapper/Melee for Slappers Only.
Super Smash Bros. (N64) Master Hand as a Playable character.
Pokemon Red, Blue, Yellow (Gameboy) I Believed you could somehow use "strength" on the truck near the S.S. Anne in Vermilion City to catch Mew.

So much wasted time!

xwez

Banned
I think it was gamefaqs, but they said you could unlock super Saiyan 4 Goku (w/out a tail though) in the original Dragon Ball Z Budokai game (NOT Tenkaichi) if you beat the tournament mode on the hardest difficulty with every single character. Still don't know if true.

Also another gamefaqs lie, but they said there was a secret area in SpongeBob Battle for Bikini Bottom that I tried accessing for like a month.

This was before I knew what "trolls" are though, so very likely they were just flat out lying about that stuff.

brap

Banned
I remember reading some weird ass cheat code website back when I was 10/11. I was looking for Harvest Moon: AWL advice and stuff and ended coming across weird shit like if you glitch a certain character a certain way you can see them naked along with other perverted shit. Needless to say I believed it all. :D

xviper

i thought Xbox 360's achievements (Gamerscore) are points that can be used to purchase games from the marketplace back in 2006, i know, i'm an idiot

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
I got burned by the Sonic and Tails in Melee. my young self didnt know april fools was a thing and wasted...soo...many...hours.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I use to sit there and try to go outside the map in Halo 2 with other people on XBL. I believed there was something cool on the other side, maybe even a secret level of sorts.

Overshield + Wraith

Now a days I am more frustrated that these types of games are broken.

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
Brad Shoemaker on a recent Giant Bomb podcast thought that the Splinter Cell series was a multiplayer shooter franchise. He didn’t even know it was a stealth game. For a “veteran” of games media, I thought that was pretty stupid.

Personally, when I was younger I used to play a lot of Super Sidekicks 2 at the arcade. I was adamant that if you held the joystick down/left and rapidly tapped the A button during the coin toss, then you’d win the toss. I don’t know why I believed that. So dumb.

Meesh

That you could find/revive Aeris in the last dungeon in some cave...

...I looked forever...

...sometimes i can still hear the FF music and the sobs of a young man baby holding on to his last shred of hope...

It was probably that falsehood that kept me from finishing the game I think lol

I thought i was going to bring in the end of the world apocalypse.

The game that gave me that idea is called The World Ends With You for the Nintendo DS.

It took years of counseling to convince myself that i wasn't going to end the world.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
There were a number of things, mainly in Pokemon. Like the idea that tapping the A button when the pokeball shakes will increase capture rate or that Mew was hiding underneath a truck.

jadedm17

Any playground Pokemon rumor.

Don't trust anyone under 18, and most over, is all I can say.

You never had a Mew you f*4537ing liar. Okay Missingno is fun.

ExpandKong

Banned
I had kind of the opposite problem once.

Was visiting my dad out of state one summer and at some point we went to a little rinky-dink arcade in town. I saw a couple people playing Street Fighter 2, which I was only familiar with at the time because of the SNES version. This machine was different, though, because the people playing were doing all these crazy moves like throwing midair homing fireballs and changing characters in the middle of a fight.

My friends back home didn’t believe me and over time I chalked it up to something misremembered during childhood. It was only a couple years ago that I discovered Street Fighter 2: Rainbow Edition was a real thing.

Playable Nemesis in Resident Evil 3. I even tried convincing my brother it was true (even tho there was no evidence to it) and that we were doing something wrong.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
There were a number of things, mainly in Pokemon. Like the idea that tapping the A button when the pokeball shakes will increase capture rate or that Mew was hiding underneath a truck.
Up b works when throwing it

Believe me

Geki-D

Banned
That using an Action Replay on Resident Evil Director's Cut on PSX to see all the FMV's allowed you to watch a cut ending where both Barry & Rebecca are in the helicopter (the actual cannon ending).

I'm almost sure I saw this myself back in the day, and years later defended it's existence on a forum only to recoil when I couldn't find any evidence of it anywhere else.

I still have the memory of that non existent FMV in my mind to this day. I guess it's just a false memory I somehow developed.

Pretty sure I had thought Sheng Long in SF2 was real for a long time... as in, into the mid-00s until someone mentioned the hoax on gaf lol

I've never played or cared much for SF2 much so any sort of digging could have figured it out later, but the only information I ever came across on it was probably the original EGM rumour, and I just assumed it was really something there (because I never gave it much thought and it didn't really matter). It was of no consequence but pretty sure it wasn't until GAF that I learned it was a hoax by EGM originally haha.

I used to be sure there was more to the secret of Ultros and Seigfried in FF VI, too... I even wrote a letter and mailed it to Squaresoft when I was a kid haha asking what the deal was with them. Their CS replied saying there 'was no "deal" with them' that everything I had described was pretty much all there was to it.

Last one.... oh, Ashbringer.... oh, the hours I spent in the Plaguelands... 'trying to discover Jedi in SWG'-levels of hours haha

BurstZyn

I think it was gamefaqs, but they said you could unlock super Saiyan 4 Goku (w/out a tail though) in the original Dragon Ball Z Budokai game (NOT Tenkaichi) if you beat the tournament mode on the hardest difficulty with every single character. Still don't know if true.
This was mine as well, except I remember it being Super Saiyan 3 Goku, an it was on several websites and even in certain cheat books I got from my school library, so i believed it for a good amount of time

SystemUser

i thought Xbox 360's achievements (Gamerscore) are points that can be used to purchase games from the marketplace back in 2006, i know, i'm an idiot

That was actually the plan at MS for a while. There was a version of the dashboard with gamerscore earning point for XBLA purchases implemented. I think they pulled it when they realized that the gamerscore system wasn't secure enough. There was the gamerscore cheating "scandal" at MS during the early years of the 360.

breakfuss

Lmao hahahaha, I’m sorry.

I believed the virtual console for the Wii was going to be a Netflix like subscription service were we would have access to literally every Nintendo game ever made.

BibiMaghoo

I consider myself fairly informed when it comes to games, but the recently I convinced someone to buy Gears Ultimate Edition on the basis it was all three games remastered and seemed like a good deal. I have no idea why I thought this as it clearly is not, and they were less than impressed with me.

also this

Aeris ressurection theories. Too much wasted time back in the day :mad:

I had no home internet back in those days and had to hit the library after school and print of reals of fake shit to try when I got home. Helped me out with lots of genuine stuff though so not a total waste.

Trogdor1123

That was actually the plan at MS for a while. There was a version of the dashboard with gamerscore earning point for XBLA purchases implemented. I think they pulled it when they realized that the gamerscore system wasn't secure enough. There was the gamerscore cheating "scandal" at MS during the early years of the 360.
I'm honestly surprised they didn't do it for cosmetic items

Top Bottom