• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What Is the Far Right’s Endgame? A Society That Suppresses the Majority.

entremet

http://www.slate.com/articles/life/...ng_vision_of_society_is_the_intellectual.html

When the Supreme Court decided, in the 1954 case of Brown vs. Board of Education, that segregated public schools were unconstitutional, Tennessee-born economist James McGill Buchanan was horrified. Over the course of the next few decades, the libertarian thinker found comfortable homes at a series of research universities and spent his time articulating a new grand vision of American society, a country in which government would be close to nonexistent, and would have no obligation to provide education—or health care, or old-age support, or food, or housing—to anyone.

This radical vision has become the playbook for a network of people looking to override democracy in order to shift more money to the wealthiest few, historian and professor at Duke University Nancy MacLean argues in her new book, an intellectual biography of James Buchanan called Democracy in Chains: The Deep History of the Radical Right's Stealth Plan for America.* Buchanan's life story, she writes, is ”the true origin story of today's well-heeled radical right."

I spoke with MacLean about Buchanan's intellectual evolution and its legacy today. We discussed whether it's helpful or counterproductive to call the network of organizations funded by Charles Koch a ”conspiracy," the line of influence between Buchanan and what's going on in MacLean's home state of North Carolina, and that time Buchanan helped Chile's dictator craft a profoundly undemocratic constitution. Our conversation has been edited and condensed for clarity.

Interview is at the link. This is really great stuff for those interested in the history of the modern Republican party and their tactics.

I never knew about this James Buchanan fellow and his insidious influence.

Here's an excerpt from the interview regarding the Koch Brothers connection to Buchanan.

Tell me more about the relationship between Koch and Buchanan.

I think too many people on the left have really underestimated Koch's intelligence and his drive, and also misunderstood his motives. There's been brilliant work by journalists, really good digging on the money trail and the Koch operations, but much of that writing seems to assume that he is doing this just because it's going to lower his tax bill or because he wants to evade regulations, personally. I think that really misgauges the man. He is deeply ideological and has been reading almost fanatically for a very long time. I see him as someone who's quite messianic. He's compared himself to Martin Luther and his effort being like the Protestant Reformation. When he invested in Buchanan's center at George Mason University, he said he wanted to ”unleash the kind of force that propelled Columbus."

This is not someone who's just trying to lower his tax bill. He wants to bring in a totally new vision of society and government, that's different from anything that exists anywhere in the world or has existed because he is so certain that he is right. I think it's more chilling because it doesn't correspond to the ideas we have about politics.

sphagnum

Banned
What is it with people named James Buchanan being awful?

Suppressing democratic power has always been the goal of he right wing - that's what makes it right wing. Economic right wingers value capitalism above democracy since democracy could make them lose money and fascists value ethnic solidarity above democracy since democracy gives out-group people power.

Shauni

There is a book that came out not too long ago that covers this guy in a lot of depth. Democracy in Chains, I think, it's called

Edit:Oh, it's mentioned in the article I see.

Baraka in the White House

2-Terms of Kombat
There is a book that came out not too long ago that covers this guy in a lot of depth. Democracy in Chains, I think, it's called

Edit:Oh, it's mentioned in the article I see.

I read it. It's a good book but it'll make you angry.

Does a pretty good job of explaining how libertarianism hijacked the economic policy of Republicans. These guys think capitalism is an end rather than just the means to an end and they're not least bit ashamed to admit how they hate democracy for getting in the way of that dogma.

Top Bottom