• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What is the gaming market in India like?

I have been to India many times for business and the like - but I have never actually purchased games or tried to really understand the gaming culture there.

Was wondering if any of you guys knew anything about it?

My experience would tell me outside of the piracy the only games that people really pay for would be mobile downloads. So console games and PC games would all be pirated more or less.

I don't really know anything about the popularity of the MMORPG format either.

Thoughts anyone?

yoopoo

Banned
PS2 land. Actually modded PS2 land. No one sells original games cause no one buys any original games there.

Though I did see DS with Nintendogs in shops there.

GBA is pretty popular there too.

Flynn

All I know is that gamers there want every other level of their video games to feature a musical number.

jk :p

tumbleweed.jpg

yoopoo

Banned
If anyone goes to India check out Palika Bazar in Delhi, its underground market with a lots of gaming shops and such. That place is literally under the ground.

Chris_C

I can tell you what it's like in Lagos Nigeria since I grew up there. Everyone's got modded PS2's, except their called "chipped PS2's".

No one buys original games cus they're priced at more than $100 a pop. Everyone buys burned games that cost the equivalent of 2-3 dollars. Very few people have Gamecubes since you can't pirate the discs, and those that do only get games when they or their parents travel abroad. Xbox, what Xbox?

Kutaragi would have a heart attack if he walked into a Nigerian videogame stor. His eyes would pop, land on the floor and fizzle into soup.

guise

The piracy market in india is ridiculously huge. Also, those guys are still rocking VCDs like no mans business. Whatever is cheap and easily copyable runs the market.

Yeah piracy is a big problem there ... even the famous Bollywood film industry is starting to suffer due to DVD piracy/screeners being made availible I believe.

If they could ever sort out the piracy issues, it could be a huge potential market in the future.

Vibri

Banned
Short answer - official industry is a few b-grade outsourcers and that's it.

Retail - forget it. As mentioned, Palika bazaar and the like all sell reams of pirate games for sub HK prices.

Flynn

Chris_C said:
I can tell you what it's like in Lagos Nigeria since I grew up there. Everyone's got modded PS2's, except their called "chipped PS2's".

No one buys original games cus they're priced at more than $100 a pop. Everyone buys burned games that cost the equivalent of 2-3 dollars. Very few people have Gamecubes since you can't pirate the discs, and those that do only get games when they or their parents travel abroad. Xbox, what Xbox?

Kutaragi would have a heart attack if he walked into a Nigerian videogame stor. His eyes would pop, land on the floor and fizzle into soup.

This is off topic, but what's the music scene like in Nigeria. I'm crazy into Fela Kuti, high life, afro beat, etc. Is that kind of stuff still wildly popular, or considered old fashioned? I've been following Naija hip-hop a little on a couple of blogs -- is that the most popular form of music right now?

Chris_C

Flynn said:
This is off topic, but what's the music scene like in Nigeria. I'm crazy into Fela Kuti, high life, afro beat, etc. Is that kind of stuff still wildly popular, or considered old fashioned? I've been following Naija hip-hop a little on a couple of blogs -- is that the most popular form of music right now?

Fela still gets much respect from Nigerians of all ages, Femi's hitting it pretty big right now but I haven't personally liked many of his songs since the album "Beng, Beng, Beng". High life doesn't get much play except at big parties and usually by the older folk, but even the young kids will still dance to it, timeless stuff IMO.

Naija Hip-Hop is pretty rough around the edges, but it's getting there, lots of underground groups in college making it big thanks to the recent explosion in growth of the Nigerian entertainment sector. The Remedies, The Plantashun Boys, started that whole thing, they're kinda dead now though. The Trybesmen have some really catchy songs, and Paul "Play" Dairo is consistently good.

If you haven't picked up Femi's Beng, Beng Beng I highly recommend it, it's what I think is the perfect balance of Fela's imporvisational/experimental style and more modetn pop music.

So if you don't mind my asking are you Nigerian or just a fan of the music?

Flynn

Chris_C said:
Fela still gets much respect from Nigerians of all ages, Femi's hitting it pretty big right now but I haven't personally liked many of his songs since the album "Beng, Beng, Beng". High life doesn't get much play except at big parties and usually by the older folk, but even the young kids will still dance to it, timeless stuff IMO.

Naija Hip-Hop is pretty rough around the edges, but it's getting there, lots of underground groups in college making it big thanks to the recent explosion in growth of the Nigerian entertainment sector. The Remedies, The Plantashun Boys, started that whole thing, they're kinda dead now though. The Trybesmen have some really catchy songs, and Paul "Play" Dairo is consistently good.

If you haven't picked up Femi's Beng, Beng Beng I highly recommend it, it's what I think is the perfect balance of Fela's imporvisational/experimental style and more modetn pop music.

So if you don't mind my asking are you Nigerian or just a fan of the music?

Thanks for the run down. I always wondered how high-life was percieved by younger generations.

I'm not Nigerian, I just have an interest in all kinds of music. I was a college radio DJ and later an internet DJ -- which helped fuel my curiousity. My exposure to Nigerian music came through the American re-releases of Fela's catalog as well as tons of afrobeat and high life reissues from the now-defunct U.K. dance label Strut. They put out an excellent compilation called Africa 70.

I'm going to grab Beng, Beng, Beng on your recommendation.

Top Bottom