• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What is the *main* reason you preorder games?

Why do you preorder?

• I want to pay now and forget about it

Votes: 37 16.2%
  • I know I will enjoy the game no matter how it turns out

Votes: 51 22.3%
  • I want collectibles/preorder bonuses

Votes: 57 24.9%
  • I want to support the studios

Votes: 43 18.8%
  • I don't usually preorder with 1 or 2 exceptions

Votes: 59 25.8%
  • I never preorder

Votes: 72 31.4%
  • To preload game files to play immediately it's out

Votes: 10 4.4%

• Total voters

Pantz

- Bikini DLC preorder bonuses get me every time
- Want to play right away when it unlocks digitally
- It's the kind of game that I want to show my support for

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Do you bother with having a collection of your own when you do that? Serious question.

Nope, I got rid of my physical games and all game-adjacent stuff (statuettes posters etc) years ago. I use my PS5 (and once 4) to play through stuff quickly on release and then re-sell, usually to buy more games to churn through.

It'll be a sad day when physical games go away.

Coconutt

My reasoning wasn't up there but I pre-order because I like physical media and I want it on day one, don't want to run the risk of the item selling out day. I also don't pay it in full, I put in the minimum which is $5 and pay for the full thing when picking up or I can cancel if I don't like reviews.

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
I did when I was younger.

I never pre order anymore, let alone buying games day one. I dont think any game is worth my 70 euro tbh.
Also, buying them later on sale also means that they hopefully are out of bugs.

I should probably have put digital games in the title, that's more what I meant.

Physical is obvious

No worries OP. Its easy to forget that this ancient media still exists sometimes.

Bartski

Gold Member
compulsive spending.

Or that I just like to take a day off and start a new game at midnight, spoiler free.

I was sure to preorder the upcoming Forbidden West DLC because I know it's gonna be incredible, and I want to support the amazing studio who keeps getting their GOTY quality titles released competitively actual GOTYs.

Pelao

I preorder very rarely. I only do it when it's a game that I know I absolutely want to play as soon as it's released, no matter what. For example the only thing I have preordered at the moment is Final Fantasy XVI. Maybe I'll preorder Tears of the Kingdom as well. I'd preorder Death Stranding 2 if I could, but it's not available on the PS store yet.
For most other things, I don't mind waiting a bit to see first impressions and gameplay of the game on launch day. I've had pretty fast internet for a while now, so I know that if I decide to buy a game, I can be playing it within the hour anyway.

A.Romero

Only when it's a game with a high likelyhood that I will get (usually sequels) and because Amazon freezes the price in my country so if they list the game 2 years before release I usually can save some money.

Also Amazon doesn't charge until it ships and can cancel at any time.

Other than maybe 1 or 2 games a year I usually wait until sales.

22:22:22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
I haven't pre ordered a game in almost two decades. I'm past so called deluxe steelbook versions with some throw away extras. There's no need really to pre order a game physically unless copies are limited and entail high end extras for it's specific fanbase. And yeah sure, pre order all you want digitally if you can't wait a day*

*take this post with a hefty dose of cynicism

Last edited:

JBat

I usually see it was an extension of voting with my wallet. My very small way of telling developers/publishers/the industry as a whole that I like this and if you keep doing it you will get more of my money. A really cool collectors edition doesn't hurt either

keraj37

I know what I want to play and I want to play it on release
giphy.gif

keefged4

Shopto is usually cheaper to preorder than buying outright when released than everywhere else, I only preorder if I'm 100% about the game though.

Top Bottom