• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What is the origin of the basement Iwata Shrine/GCN image?

Peltz

We all have seen this image:

dkush40.jpg

Every time it's posted, someone always asks where it's from and nobody seems to know about its origin. So...

Where is this from? Is it a real setup? Does Detective-GAF know the answer?

I really want to know about the origin of this image.

P.S. Here are some other related images that another user posted in another thread

Please GAF... please. I just know there's a funny story behind this.

Bumhead

Banned
I don't think I want to know.

The truth is probably nowhere near as interesting as the conspiracy. Can we turn this thread into that instead?

Justinh

All I can remember from what I think was related to this was a screencap of...AIM or ICQ? with a scandalous folder hiding minimized but named in the taskbar, or maybe it was a browser tab (if those were around then)

flkraven

We should have a thread entirely dedicated to documenting all of NeoGAF's best memes. Sort of like know your meme. Have the OP constantly updated. It could include things like this, the italian food image, banderas, the 'green means noise' pics, the '(I'm an expert)' post on culture, etc etc.

That looks like telecom cabling on the wall, so I'm guessing it's really a telephone/data closet or MPOE in the basement.

Maybe a janitor or maintenance guy or something?

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
It is so weird looking at a ten year old gaf thread

tons of banned users and just nonstop :lols

It's funny how roughly 20-33% of all posters in threads that are two or more years old are banned.

We should have a thread entirely dedicated to documenting all of NeoGAF's best memes. Sort of like know your meme. Have the OP constantly updated. It could include things like this, the italian food image, banderas, the 'green means noise' pics, the '(I'm an expert)' post on culture, etc etc.

As an expert on overusing memes I support this endeavor.

FireCloud

Always thought it was from a 2ch forum talking about otaku shrines. I thought it then showed up here in a thread talking about showing your gaming setup. But that was a long time ago. Hard to remember for sure.

There have probably been like 5 threads trying to do this over the years. I'm sure I've seen at least one.

Nobody has the patience to stick to it, and there's not enough ongoing interest.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Gahiggidy.

Man I feel old. Does the name Olimario mean anything to you young'ns?
Yeah, of course. That and OpaOpa before, well, you know...

I'm no young'n, though.

What's really sad is that, by 2005 (when that photo was posted), I had already been posting on GAF for six years (through its many evolutions). :X

Rydeen

Is it not that obvious to some of you that it was a joke post? Guy had access to a basement, set it up with the TV and Gamecube on milk crates, then added the "Rare Sucks!" graffiti and Iwata framed photo for extra lulz.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
And only 4 pages of replies in a memorable, historic thread.

Today? "Skyrim now supports paid mods" is up to 6 pages and counting.

9/11 was a one page thread. Was just looking through the Gaming Age Forums archives yesterday for 15 year old discussions. It's hilarious how much of it could look like today's posts if you just replace every old game/console name with a current one.

Yeah, of course. That and OpaOpa before, well, you know...

I'm no young'n, though.

What's really sad is that, by 2005 (when that photo was posted), I had already been posting on GAF for six years (through its many evolutions). :X

Because of my jumps into GAF days gone by, I actually searched for OA too yesterday.

And found out that it's still going with new incarnations. That's terrifying.

Hah, what a thread. I asked about the origin in the disgusting setups thread. That setup is the stuff of legends...erm. Well, at least it's a part of GAF history.

Zubz

Banned
So, like, was :lol an old emoticon we used on here? Like, did GAF even have emoticons? There's so much about ancient GAF that I don't know going on here; I don't even know who Rake is, and why (s)/(t)he(y) "sux!"

Top Bottom