• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What is the origin of the basement Iwata Shrine/GCN image?

jay

It's supposed to be a photoshoot from EGM for a Seanbaby thing. This is coming from FartofWar in an old thread, who is Sean Elliot or someone.

Peltz

So, like, was :lol an old emoticon we used on here? Like, did GAF even have emoticons? There's so much about ancient GAF that I don't know going on here; I don't even know who Rake is, and why (s)/(t)he(y) "sux!"

I think it was "Rare" Sux. As in Rareware.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
So, like, was :lol an old emoticon we used on here? Like, did GAF even have emoticons? There's so much about ancient GAF that I don't know going on here; I don't even know who Rake is, and why (s)/(t)he(y) "sux!"

Did GAF have emoticons...

Kids these days.

GET OFF MY LAWN

rip :jnc:

-Horizon-

I don't think I want to know.

The truth is probably nowhere near as interesting as the conspiracy. Can we turn this thread into that instead?

The last conspiracy GAF had cancelled MGSV.
it wasn't cancelled but it sure as heck is pretty hilarious

KHlover

Banned
lolgdu8q.gif
lolgdu8q.gif
lolgdu8q.gif
lolgdu8q.gif
lolgdu8q.gif
lolgdu8q.gif
lolgdu8q.gif
lolgdu8q.gif

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Yeah, I believe there was a period where it did.

The forum has gone through a lot of iterations, no doubt.

No_Style

:lol

or

Reaction GIFs?

GAF did have emoticons and after they were turned off, a few posters tried to keep it alive by posting GIFs. It didn't last long. We even had a poster named Kittowny (?) who posted their own cat emoticon. I believe the console wars did him/her in.

Culex

Banned

There was laughing face, happy face and sad face.

We should have a thread entirely dedicated to documenting all of NeoGAF's best memes. Sort of like know your meme. Have the OP constantly updated. It could include things like this, the italian food image, banderas, the 'green means noise' pics, the '(I'm an expert)' post on culture, etc etc.

Another epic gaf meme is hating on DKC3.

BiggNife

For a long time
lol.gif
was the only emoticon allowed on GAF. It was eventually taken out because it was mostly used for shitposting.

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
Can someone link to the very first post on GAF?

yes it did

there used to be gif avatars too

times change

jgwhiteus

But the post was made the day after the video was uploaded to YouTube.

Post date:15th of July 2008

YT Video date: 14th of July 2008

The post shows up as July 14, 2008 6:32 PM US Eastern for me (about 4 hours after the actual announcement) - I think it depends on your particular location and timestamp.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
The post shows up as July 14, 2008 6:32 PM US Eastern for me (about 4 hours after the actual announcement) - I think it depends on your particular location and timestamp.

Oh right, it was made around 00:32. That could explain it :p. inb4 retag "Doesn't quite understand timezones"

Now it won't happen because I said so

ivysaur12

Banned

Yes. It used to show a laughing smiley face.

CTLance

For a long time
lol.gif
was the only emoticon allowed on GAF. It was eventually taken out because it was mostly used for shitposting.
Now now, don't you go forgetting about the :D smiley.
e8qu3.gif

Also, obligatory:

"The gaiety derived from your post exceeded my self-control tolerances, good sir! You are to be applauded for your efforts!"
(Aka :lol replacement as per Evilore himself)

Even the avatars were animated, and there were a few weird ones.

Dreavus

The best part is that it's a game cube. I can imagine set ups like that for a NES or something (Hell our TV was pretty damn small back in the day) but no, he's got Luigi's Mansion going on that tiny screen.

Top Bottom